project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
19 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Old 2015-11-15, 22:56   #31
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member
Default Re: Famas to be replaced on French army by 2017

Europe really should sort its shit out and share/develop kit together more but it always goes wrong.

Eurofighter/Typhoon France drop out to make Rafale on their own (wanted carrier ability)
Tiger/Apache Contracts UK buys Roll Royce up engined Apache over Euro Tiger (apparently better performance)

Just imagine if Euro military could manage that - huge savings!
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 00:23   #32
[R-CON]​Zeno
PR:BF2 Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSSive View Post
Even the G36 but I somehow dont like it. Even the Germans wont be using it, and are switching to 417.
I dont see them switching to 417, as this is basicly a marksman rifle, while the 416 is more of a main battle rifle

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan: Not having a spotter is like masturbating with a cheese grater...mildly amusing at first, but generally painful and bloody in the end.

Thornehaw: If all this have been evidently true, Battlefield is a much scarier and dirtier than ever imagined. Not a conspiracy, but a possibility. If it is true, then trusting another is quite worrisome.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-18, 20:41   #33
MaSSive

Wiki again :P

You are probably right, I was wondering too why they wrote 417. We use 416 in SOP units in both army and police. It is a weapon of choice for operators and mostly used over others ( even g36c/k )

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-19, 09:28   #34
[R-CON]​Zeno
PR:BF2 Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSSive View Post
Wiki again :P

You are probably right, I was wondering too why they wrote 417. We use 416 in SOP units in both army and police. It is a weapon of choice for operators and mostly used over others ( even g36c/k )
I can personally testify that the 416 is a extremely solid rifle. I remember shooting the thing in -30?C with a thick layer of snow and ice around the rifle and it still performed flawlessly. The only problem was when my breath would fog up the glass of the aimpoint and then freezing, making it very hard to see.

The 417 is also very good, but is only issued to designated marksmen in the Norwegian army

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan: Not having a spotter is like masturbating with a cheese grater...mildly amusing at first, but generally painful and bloody in the end.

Thornehaw: If all this have been evidently true, Battlefield is a much scarier and dirtier than ever imagined. Not a conspiracy, but a possibility. If it is true, then trusting another is quite worrisome.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-20, 12:36   #35
Cpt.Future
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Zeno View Post
I dont see them switching to 417, as this is basicly a marksman rifle, while the 416 is more of a main battle rifle
The german military is using a modified version of the civilian HK417 (MR308 ) as a DMR: Heckler & Koch :: Produktbeschreibung | G28
It's not a replacement for the G36.
Cpt.Future is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 13:36   #36
[R-DEV]​Airsoft
PR:BF2 Developer

BREAKING: France Downselects FAMAS Rifle Replacement to Bids from Belgium, Germany - The Firearm Blog
Germany, Belgium to Compete for the Right to Equip French Army

416 vs FN SCAR. Looks like bullpup is ditched for good.

As an owner of a SCAR, they are FN Awesome!

Both rifles are top quality and have a proven track record out in the field. I recall that the SCAR did better in the reliability tests when the US army conducted them about 8 years ago. That's also due to the fact that the SCAR has a completely different mechanism taking design inspirations from several firearms, whereas the 416 is just a modification of an M4 using short stroke gas piston.

I haven't shot a FAMAS before, I don't think they sell them in the US. Anyone who served in the French military can comment on how they perform?

Last edited by [R-DEV]Airsoft; 2016-07-18 at 13:43..
Old 2016-07-18, 14:22   #37
Rabbit

SCAR is an amazing rifle, very simple to break down and very easy to handle.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 19:32   #38
SkyEmperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Airsoft View Post
BREAKING: France Downselects FAMAS Rifle Replacement to Bids from Belgium, Germany - The Firearm Blog
Germany, Belgium to Compete for the Right to Equip French Army

416 vs FN SCAR. Looks like bullpup is ditched for good.

As an owner of a SCAR, they are FN Awesome!

Both rifles are top quality and have a proven track record out in the field. I recall that the SCAR did better in the reliability tests when the US army conducted them about 8 years ago. That's also due to the fact that the SCAR has a completely different mechanism taking design inspirations from several firearms, whereas the 416 is just a modification of an M4 using short stroke gas piston.

I haven't shot a FAMAS before, I don't think they sell them in the US. Anyone who served in the French military can comment on how they perform?
I served for half a month for some kind of military service. We weren't allowed to shoot it, so don't know much about its raw perfomances, but it's light, easy to handle and super easy to take apart
SkyEmperor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-31, 17:46   #39
[R-DEV]​Airsoft
PR:BF2 Developer

BREAKING: The Next French Infantry Rifle Is German - Heckler & Koch Reportedly WINS French AIF Rifle Competition - The Firearm Blog

Looking like the 416 will be it. Goodbye bullpups

Airsoft is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-31, 18:10   #40
Frontliner
Project Reality Beta Tester

Good to know HK isn't going bankrupt while waiting for VdL and her cohorts at the BMVg to stop sucking their thumbs and finally ask for a G36 replacement.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, army, famas, french, removed, replaced