project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Project Reality News
19 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Project Reality News Project Reality news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-19, 16:31   #81
Lugnut

Default Re: PR:ArmA2 - Highlights Reel #5

I think if PR succeeds in providing a fun PvP experience, on easy to find and enter, populated servers, no one will care what assets are available. The reason a decent PvP community doesn't exist in ARMA2 has nothing to do with what servers have what assets on them. It's because too small of a community is fragmented by too many disparate mods and too many options.

I think PR will change the face of ARMA2 MP and I can't wait.
Old 2011-05-19, 17:08   #82
usmcguy

looks awesome!

Old 2011-05-19, 17:18   #83
Grierson

Send a message via MSN to Grierson

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlifex View Post
how different will the graphic requirements be for Arma2: PR? If some upgrades are in order I would like to know ahead of time :P
Can you run arma2? if your not sure take a look at this;

Minimum specs:
? Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster)
? 1 GB RAM
? GPU (Nvidia Geforce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM
? Windows XP
? DVD (Dual Layer compatible)
? 10 GB free HDD space
Recommended specs:
? Quad Core CPU or Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)
? 2 GB RAM
? GPU (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM
? Windows XP or Windows Vista
? DVD (Dual Layer compatible)
? 10 GB free HDD space

Specs.

By the time we get into PRARMA2 we will have Arma 3 on the go is it worth fully embedding into a game that is about within a year to be superseded by two massive new games BF3 and ArmA3

Old 2011-05-19, 21:31   #84
ryan d ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grierson View Post
By the time we get into PRARMA2 we will have Arma 3 on the go is it worth fully embedding into a game that is about within a year to be superseded by two massive new games BF3 and ArmA3
Well in that case I guess they should port the stuff over to an engine that we haven't even seen a video from so it is ready for a pathetic, unplayable, bugged release with no community

The only thing massive about BF3 will be the price tag and the advertising.

BF2PR for EVER

Project Reality's Unofficial Self-Appointed Anti vehicle mufti
Over 8 years and still not banned
Obligatory Epic Forum Quote (QFT + LOL)
saXoni: "According to ********'s title their server is for skilled people only, so this doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you were playing on ********?"

Indy Media
Old 2011-05-20, 16:45   #85
Qadis

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]UK_Force View Post
As time progress's more content will be added as you all know - however we need to establish the gameplay and build a decent player base for PvP, otherwise we willl be drawn into the ArmA2 scene of simply creating "cool addons" for people to use for SP ......... something PR is NOT about at all.
I couldn't agree more about your approach where implementing new stuff is done only when it enhances gameplay, however, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibilities of using some content to create hype around the mod. Indeed, most of the people that would be attracted by this aren't what you might consider a decent player base for PvP, but some of them might 'convert' or see the virtues of PvP and PR, which would result in a bigger player base (you want that, right?).
Not only that, the aforementioned hype could attract other players that may have otherwise not heard of PR: ARMA 2
Old 2011-05-22, 07:33   #86
Im2limp4urMom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
II think PR will change the face of ARMA2 MP and I can't wait.
I hope so too!
Old 2011-05-22, 19:55   #87
KorD_

Nice to hear about improved sound effects. Vanilla's FX are terrible.
Old 2011-05-23, 01:38   #88
Rhoto

Makes me love BIS that much more. Never seen such cooperation from a major developer like that. But if I was BIS I'd be honored to let the PR team take this on. The PR guys are taking Arma so much farther than BIS was willing too. Kudos to both teams! Can't wait 'til release.
Old 2011-05-23, 11:21   #89
JonathanBateman

So pleased about this update to the game. The game was awesome already but this takes it to a new level!!

Also i was just wondering if you were going to create a brownout effect for helicopters when they come into land in sandy conditions. Someone has probably already recommended it but even so it would be a really nice addition to an already amazing mod.

Cheers Jonathan
Old 2011-05-28, 21:56   #90
<<SpanishSurfer>>

Let me first start of by saying that I've been with PR since the beginning, love the work you guys do, thank you for all that you've done. I'm very excited about you guys taking on Arma 2 and attempting to fix the PVP component of the game, something no one has really done a great job on so far. Because I've played both BF2PR & Arma OA I already know the difficulties that most PR players will experience when switching to Arma 2. I thought I'd share, what I believe, are three of the worst problems that plague Arma 2 multiplayer.

The biggest problem with Arma 2's multiplayer is the pace, it's ridiculously slow. Sure, some hard core enthusiasts don't mind it but I believe that if a mod wishes to be successful, this piece of the game must be altered so that getting into the action does NOT take more then a few minutes, the typical pace in a BF2PR match is perfect. I'm just curious, how does the PR development team (And community) feel about the pace of Arma 2 and are there any efforts being made to adjust it?

The second issue I've seen is the lag issue. I'm on a cable connection and never play on with less then a 100ms ping. The following is my specs for my system:

AMD Phenom II Black Edition 3.3 GHZ (6 Cores, OC 2 3.7ghz)
12 GB Corsair Dominator Ram
eVGA GTX 580
X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
128GB Samsung SSD

With this rig I could probably run Arma 2 twice and still get playable framerates but the multiplayer still lags. My point is this, I know it's the game. The hops & skips that you see when a helo or fixed wing a/c fly by, or even worse, when you see people running around skipping all over your screen can be quite terrible for a FPS. This is one of the primary reasons why there are so many CO-OP matches in Arma 2, because the lag IS very bad (When compared to BF2/BFBC2/ETC). If you guys can fix, hell even improve lag issues, it would greatly enhance the playability of the game online.

The third (and last) major issue with Arma 2 multiplayer is the steep learning curve. I see many new players trying out Arma 2 on a daily basis. They play for a few hours, maybe even days, and then give up because they become frustrated and can't figure out what's happening. I'm sure PR will become very complex and I believe that developing different methods to train new players on how to play PR will be essential in retention #'s for the mod.
Things like PDF instruction manuals, wikis, and youtube videos demonstrating the concepts of the game will be VERY important in developing a large player base.

But on TOP of all that instructional material the experienced players MUST be willing to provide assistance to those who need it and not chastise people for being "noobs." PR can improve relations between the new and experienced players by reaching out to the community and reminding them to help the newer players.

Well, those are my thoughts, let me know what you all think.

"Get lost, support your Coast Guard."
Closed Thread

Tags
highlights, prarma, prarma2, reel