project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
25 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2013-03-30, 02:02   #1
Pedz
Supporting Member

Default New AAA Games not up to Par or Our Expectation?

I was just wondering to everyones opinion on the topic of new games.

It seems to me the current trend of 'Triple-A' to be bitterly dissapointing, or just not what they were marketed to be.

I'll put a few examples here in short detail:

Sim City:
So I preordered this, a decision I regret, and well after seeing the US launch fail, I was pleasatly suprised at the normality of the UK release. I had no problems getting on, so I thought, "Great, lets start playing this wonderful looking game". Soon I found the game to be repetative, not much to do, everything seemed too easy. I found I was literally sitting there watching the city go by, just to wait for money so I could buy the next thing. (Makes me think of those massive time sinks, such as the Simpsons "real time" game, which I'm thoroughly confused to how people find interesting/ingaging, but then again my opinion )

So summary of Sim City:
Trailers showed it to be great, youtube of the mechanics, fantastic. Actual game, nothing like the youtube videos, DRM that removes a reason I liked sim city (it was one of my, "oh the internets dead, something to play games"), and seriously dumbed down game play.

On the other hand though, we have:

Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm

Pretended to be nothing else other than an expansion pack on the already great 'IMO' game. Balanced, didn't pretend to have features it didn't. For a strategy game I'm pleasently suprised by the diversity of the campain, not all missions are, build a base, kill the enemy, rinse, repeat. Intersting story, continued from the previous.

Problems:
Problems I've had, matchmaking during the first few weeks has been pretty poor. I think due to nobody being ranked... Been against a few master league players, and soon been utterly crushed... Cost, for an expansion ?30 was steeeep, but not as dear as Sim City, and well I've played more SC2 than that, so money well spent in my case.

My Summary
So I've had experiences in both ends, poor games, and good AAA games. However I've read many a review on a lot of these new AAA titles, promising to be something amazing, great and innovative, but when it comes down to release day; they're appauling, boring, buggy and just not worth it. I guess this has taught me one thing, never pre-order a game ever again, it's dissappointed me too much in the past as well.

End
So I ask you, what games have you been disappointed in, and what has suprised you! Try not to argue about other people's opinions, they are after all personal, and you can't change what anyone else thinks about a game, no matter how many caps lock keys you break.

Last edited by Pedz; 2013-03-30 at 02:03.. Reason: Removed double enter
Old 2013-03-30, 02:11   #2
Henrique_Dalben
Banned
Default Re: New AAA Games not up to Par or Our Expectation?

Game companies care more about money than they care about the quality of their games. More at 11.
Henrique_Dalben is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 02:17   #3
Naruto-kun

I'll just leave this here:

Known as LABANEN3 ingame
Naruto-kun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 02:22   #4
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Relevant about pre-orders :

Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 02:25   #5
Conman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
I'll just leave this here:
Perfect Example: Sim City, DeadSpace 3, Battlefield 3.

Pretty much this is already known and many players are sick of it, and thats why were here playing games like PR, World of Tanks, and Wargame EE!

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Conman51 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 04:21   #6
Qaiex

Just the shit games from the shit developers. It used to be that AAA meant quality, nowadays it really just means quantity.
It's really easy to avoid it by following this one simple rule: "If a company releases a shit game, NEVER buy anything from that company ever again, no exceptions."
Don't give them a second chance, they'll use it to screw you over once again.

Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 04:24   #7
ShockUnitBlack

Wait for Rome II. Dat's going to be da bomb.

"I Want To Spend The Rest Of My Life With You Tonight."
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 04:28   #8
Qaiex

And Metal Gear Solid V.
And GTA V.
And The Last Guardian.

Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 04:32   #9
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

In the next few years ALOT of kickstarter and other independent games are coming, could be a revolution? At the very least it'll put pressure on the big companies to address the desires of more niche communities imo.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 10:13   #10
MaxBooZe
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaiex View Post
And Metal Gear Solid V.
And GTA V.
And The Last Guardian.
And BioShock Infinite.

MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aaa, expectation, games, par