project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
29 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2017-02-21, 17:36   #21
KaB
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosu-Rizzle View Post
Whats the difference between OWI paying the PS devs and OWI paying a modder for Kokan?
By "Devs" I meant the ones from Squad, not from PS or any other mod.

KaB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-24, 21:22   #22
Fir3w411

"Wait for mods to play different stuff"

and now you gotta pay? nice

"Sometimes you just gotta use torture tactics."
Fir3w411 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-25, 03:13   #23
Zeno

Send a message via MSN to Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3w411 View Post

So you saying that you are too cheap to cash out on something that somebody have spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours on creating?

Its in their full right to take payment for their hard work, and free mods are not a rule, its a privilege.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan: Not having a spotter is like masturbating with a cheese grater...mildly amusing at first, but generally painful and bloody in the end.

Thornehaw: If all this have been evidently true, Battlefield is a much scarier and dirtier than ever imagined. Not a conspiracy, but a possibility. If it is true, then trusting another is quite worrisome.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-25, 10:10   #24
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3w411 View Post

Funny how willing people are to splash out on tiny little DLCs but aren't willing to pay as soon as the term "mod" comes in, even thou they are basically the same thing, other than mods generally have far more and sometimes better content, and just aren't made by/under the official team that made the main game....

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-25, 10:37   #25
Raklodder
Supporting Member

I personally don't like that move, but I can see why they would want to get paid having spent countless of hours in the making, maybe it's just me who have grown old and grumpy, but for me mods are meant to be free unless standalone.
Raklodder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-25, 10:50   #26
Gosu-Rizzle

Squad has been marketing itself from the very beginning on the basis of no paid DLC and lots of focus on mods and mod support. (iwe seen Irontaxi repeating the "No payed DLC" thing as late as this week) And PS has been the poster boy for Squad's very promising modding scene up til now.
When they then suddenly turn around and say, "oh wait, the mod(s) will actually be paid DLC". Before the base game is even out of early access? Thats just asking for trouble on every level with the community. Its going to leave alot of players with a sour taste, not just for PS but also for Squad itself unfortunately.
Gosu-Rizzle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-25, 11:04   #27
KaB
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
When they then suddenly turn around and say, "oh wait, the mod(s) will actually be paid DLC".
Please provide a source quoting "PS will be a paid DLC for Squad".

Old 2017-02-25, 11:31   #28
Gosu-Rizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]KaB View Post
Please provide a source quoting "PS will be a paid DLC for Squad".
Youre right, i dont have a qoute and we/I should be cautious with judging too soon.
But during the streaming event last week the PS devs had instructed the streamers to say it was no longer a free mod. And i saw at least 1 PS dev correcting myself and others who said otherwise in the comments on Twitch during that.
Other than that i dont have a quote because the PS devs have been quiet about this and havent said a word publicly as far as im aware. (which in itself is just beyond bizarre to me. They created this storm by doing the event and telling people to say it was no longer a mod, yet they dont put out a statement. If it was as easy as saying "dont worry we are still a free mod" they would surely have done so by now.)
But according to people who have asked the PS devs themselves (bluedrake for example) they have confirmed it will be paid.

Whether they will call it DLC or a standalone game is just semantics IMO. Its Squads gameplay theyre keeping, Squads underlying code, and Squad will surely make money off it in some way at the end of the day if PS does.

Gosu-Rizzle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-25, 11:59   #29
KaB
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Whether they will call it DLC or a standalone game is just semantics IMO. Its Squads gameplay theyre keeping, Squads underlying code, and Squad will surely make money off it in some way at the end of the day if PS does.
Yet there's a big difference between DLC and SA: one requires the base game to be bought, the other one doesn't, which is what PS is going to be.

PS devs are artists who wanted to make the game they always wanted to play, the Squad SDK is a good opportunity for them, but they realised they won't be able to achieve that goal if they keep doing this for free.

A free mod would have probably been able to achieve what they've done so far, but it would have probably taken more than 5 years. So it's up to you: give them a bit of money and allow them to do an awesome game in no time, or wait for 5 years before some modders decide to do the same thing for free, and for another 5 years before they manage to do something that looks like a final game (what PS could be soon), and probably for another 5 years in case they didn't get enough donations.

Old 2017-02-25, 12:09   #30
Zeno

Send a message via MSN to Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raklodder View Post
mods are meant to be free unless standalone.
Which PS will be

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan: Not having a spotter is like masturbating with a cheese grater...mildly amusing at first, but generally painful and bloody in the end.

Thornehaw: If all this have been evidently true, Battlefield is a much scarier and dirtier than ever imagined. Not a conspiracy, but a possibility. If it is true, then trusting another is quite worrisome.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bloody, drama, post, scriptum, seventh, standalone, thread