project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
29 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2017-02-20, 23:06   #11
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Thats great for them, they get to do what they love to do, while being payed for it. Well earned IMO.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-21, 07:39   #12
Thenis

If more people start monetizing their mods, I would expect from OWI curation and quality control. I don't want any "Early Access" mods or any buggy mods. And they should be priced accordingly based on content.
Thenis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-21, 08:56   #13
KaB
Retired PR Developer

I think modders are smart enough to know if their work is worth being monetized or not. And if the modding team leaders are unable to pay its employees because of a lack of incomes, depending on how hard they want their mod to keep growing, they might decide to make it free and let the modding community taking care of it.

KaB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-21, 09:36   #14
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor
Project Reality Beta Tester

It's not a mod anymore if they go standalone though. And so long as OWI is alright with them using Squad as a base I don't see a reason for the aggression and contempt of many who're losing their shit. Sure it sucks to see people go back on their word and charge money for what they announced to be a free mod, on the other hand the skills necessary to develop a highly polished product have never been higher, asking people to devote so much time and effort out of their lifes for nothing but maybe some praise when the work is done is not exactly fair. I mean, when spirits are high, especially in the beginning, you might feel it's alright to spend hours working for nothing, but after a while you would like to see some hard cash too, it's very much natural.

My biggest concern is the problem with Squad's player base. We all are well aware how there isn't a whole lot of a market when it comes to our beloved tactical shooter genre, 'tleast not on the scale of 50v50 realistically approached warfare. So it stands to reason that a standalone PS will effect Squad's already low playerbase. In my opinion it would be in the best interest of both players and producers to collaborate instead of doing their own thing and have PS integrated as part of Squad for everyone from the get go. Only problem is sharing the profits, but I hope both realize it's in their best interest, OWI can garner more sales by using PS as an extension of the original game, whereas the PS guys don't have to spend money on advertising as their game is shipped together with Squad and they receive a part of the money.

I wouldn't be too opposed to a DLC even if some people think it's bad for the community, but server owners can decide which theatres are available, Squad Only, PS Only or both. If you don't have PS or aren't in the mood for it just hop on Modern Era server. No issues there.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-21, 10:11   #15
KaB
Retired PR Developer

We dont really want players who just bought the game to open it and find themselves in front of a message like "Hello, you cannot join this server, please buy this DLC". You got 9/10 chances they're gonna ask for refund instantly.

I'd rather see them discovering Squad with zero restriction, and eventually discover PS or other mods by hearing of them from other players they met in game or on the forum.

Old 2017-02-21, 15:55   #16
inb4banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]KaB View Post
We dont really want players who just bought the game to open it and find themselves in front of a message like "Hello, you cannot join this server, please buy this DLC". You got 9/10 chances they're gonna ask for refund instantly.

I'd rather see them discovering Squad with zero restriction, and eventually discover PS or other mods by hearing of them from other players they met in game or on the forum.
A much better solution would be to include high quality mods into the game for free, then agree on a base + % payment from how many hours the mod was played out of total Squad hours and how many copies of Squad were sold in that time. That way we get free content, Squad gets more sales and modders get as much money as their mod is played. Fair for everyone.
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-21, 16:49   #17
KaB
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inb4banned View Post
A much better solution would be to include high quality mods into the game for free, then agree on a base + % payment from how many hours the mod was played out of total Squad hours and how many copies of Squad were sold in that time. That way we get free content, Squad gets more sales and modders get as much money as their mod is played. Fair for everyone.
So the modders would earn some sort of royalties for their creations? What about the devs? Should they earn some royalties for each one of their line of code or polygon too? OWI would be dead by now if they had to do such a thing, so this won't ever happen.

Old 2017-02-21, 16:57   #18
inb4banned

Quote:
So the modders would earn some sort of royalties for their creations? What about the devs? Should they earn some royalties for each one of their line of code or polygon too? OWI would be dead by now if they had to do such a thing, so this won't ever happen.
How would OWI be dead when not a single mod has been released yet, it'd be exactly the same as it is now... They'd simply share a certain % of profit from new Squad sales with modders according to how much that mod was played after being released
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-21, 17:07   #19
KaB
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inb4banned View Post
How would OWI be dead when not a single mod has been released yet, it'd be exactly the same as it is now...
That's right, although I'd recommend you to read my reply again because this is absolutely not what I said.

Old 2017-02-21, 17:23   #20
Gosu-Rizzle

Quote:
Whats the difference between OWI paying the PS devs and OWI paying a modder for Kokan? Iwe even heard Irontaxi say he would like to see 50% of Squads official maps for the final release made by modders. To me doing something like this sounds like the best way to insure our niche playerbase isnt split up.
Even huge AAA titles strugle to keep payed map DLC alive. Star wars battlefront for example has dead multiplayer DLC dispite having a way bigger playerbase than Squad or PS will ever get.
And at the end the day PS is mostly "just" a reskin of Squad. Everything the devs have said and shown indicates that the basic gameplay and systems wont change, which means the playerbase wont change much either.
Gosu-Rizzle is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bloody, drama, post, scriptum, seventh, standalone, thread