project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
29 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2013-03-30, 10:24   #11
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Default Re: New AAA Games not up to Par or Our Expectation?

Well, we all know what their target player base is.

And even the core 'have time for gaming all day long' player base isn't us anymore, it's the new generation of bored nerdy children. They're either focussing on them, or on 'everyone'.

I think the problem is that few games and franchises grew with their audience. I loved Morrowind when I was 12 or so, played it after school for as long as I could. Then when I was older, Oblivion came out and disappointed me - it seemed as if it was aimed at 12 year olds! And now Skyrim - again, clearly aimed at children with no patience. And as games become more popular, developers make them even more 'accessible'. Morrowind was playable by a child, sure, but offered enough for an adult for me to still be a fan. Oblivion reduced the adult content and Skyrim doesn't have any (blood doesn't count), and most franchises go that way.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2013-03-30, 11:01   #12
Pedz
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
In the next few years ALOT of kickstarter and other independent games are coming, could be a revolution? At the very least it'll put pressure on the big companies to address the desires of more niche communities imo.
I do hope that's true, quite a lot of them look really good , hope they can deliver and not suffer the same fate of too much marketing hype to get investment.

Spec your description there reminds me of Dragon Age... A very similar game, fantasy RPG. However, I feel that may have just been my expectations. Dragon Age (Origins, didn't buy the expansion or 2nd, read the reviews, they were awful), wasn't a bad game, in fact I had fun playing it, got dragged into the story head first and really got into the whole thing.

My expectations were high because it promised to be a follow on from the Baldurs Gate series. Those were fantastic games, probably the largest RPG I have ever played. It may not have the largest area to roam around in, but honestly, most of these roaming games just mean theres more wasted walking time... Baldurs Gate 2:SOA was the game I grew up with, providing a massive amount of content and it even had decision making in it, with a lot of various paths your followers would take. I recently started playing it again, to see if it was just one of those games I loved as a child, but actually wasn't great (theres a few like that), but infact I found myself getting dragged into the story. It doesn't need fancy graphics (it ran at 640x480 or something ridiculous), just good gameplay and story.

To flip side this: DOTA 2.

A pleasant suprise, yes the people who play it are generally arrogant children, but once you ignore that you're playing with a bunch of anti-socials, and ignore them, it's quite a fun game. The only Free to play game that doesn't seem to want to ram content down my throat, just asks me if I want to make my people look a little 'cooler'. It's simple to understand, but something hard to master.

Last edited by Pedz; 2013-03-31 at 13:12.. Reason: Edit fail on Baldurs**
Old 2013-03-31, 03:42   #13
Steeps
Supporting Member

AAA games really are a let down anymore. I easily stop myself from buying most of them anymore. I will gladly take that money and spend it on say World of Tanks that I know I really enjoy.

GTA V will hopefully be an exception to that though. Really looking forward to that. Will not be buying Battlefield 4 or pretty much any other game at all. Only other game I want is ArmA 3 but I already bought it.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 04:01   #14
Trooper909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaiex View Post
Just the shit games from the shit developers. It used to be that AAA meant quality, nowadays it really just means quantity.
It's really easy to avoid it by following this one simple rule: "If a company releases a shit game, NEVER buy anything from that company ever again, no exceptions."
Don't give them a second chance, they'll use it to screw you over once again.
AAA has never guaranteed quality.Its always been the same.Just before the internet it was harder to get information on a given game.

By that logic you could not buy

Quote:
And Metal Gear Solid V.
And GTA V.
And The Last Guardian.
Because all those company's have made shit a game at one point.Rockstar made state of emergency so no GTA V for you .

The best thing to do is do thorough research before buying any game..If reviews are varied watch gameplay vids if still undecided get the demo if there is no demo hell watch one of your friends play it at home then if you like it buy it....There is no excuse to be duped in this day and age..
Unless like me once you get blinded by the good reputation of a company and a great license in a franchise you love with even past games in the series being great ala rebelion with avp2010.But that should only happen once if you have a brain.

I personally will even be cautious with the new GTA.

Bad Trooper! (Happy easter, no infraction for you) - Spec
Last edited by [R-MOD]Spec; 2013-03-31 at 09:46..
Old 2013-03-31, 04:21   #15
Pvt.LHeureux
-

So far the only good recent AAA game was Bioshock Infinite...

Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 08:47   #16
Qaiex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper909 View Post
Because all those company's have made shit a game at one point.Rockstar made state of emergency so no GTA V for you
Actually, Just like with L.A. Noire, Rockstar just published that game, they didn't develop it.
Also, Kojima Productions has never made a bad game, and neither have Team ICO.

Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 08:57   #17
jerkzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedz View Post
...on from the Baulders Gate series...
Aaaahahahhahahahahhah!

No but on topic, big budget games seem to be seriously risky business these days. We like to think they're "safe" for the developers, but THQ failing as well as EA's less than stellar financial performance suggest, at least as far as I can tell, that you can't just pump out generic but shiny crap and expect to turn a decent profit.

This signature is here due to lack of imagination.
jerkzilla is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:18   #18
BroCop

Ye but THQ didnt fail because of big budget games, its because of their retarded idea that there is a demand for drawing tablets among the hardcore gamers

BroCop is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:24   #19
MaxBooZe
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Actually, Just like with L.A. Noire, Rockstar just published that game, they didn't develop it.
Also, Kojima Productions has never made a bad game, and neither have Team ICO.
True but those games are really marketed to a niche audience. Which is a good thing, because they know how the ACTUALLY satisfy the needs of a group instead of trying to please everyone and become a jack of all trades deal. The same goes for ArmA, it's not for everyone but for those who it is aimed at it's awesome.
I kind of enjoyed MGS because of the original story but some of the MGS I didn't care for. It really depends on which one you give me. Team ICO develops a special type of game that will pretty much always be received well by it's audience. A friend of mine absolutely adores the Team ICO games. I personally think they are cool games but I can't say that I would pre-order/buy deluxe editions or the like or give it GotY.

The Battlefield audience (but also the Bioshock audience) is pretty much the same audience including people that enjoy MGS or Shadow of the Colossus. Or atleast they try to target something that everyone enjoys, an easy game that people want to relax and enjoy while playing. Shadow of the Colossus can be really intense and deep for example.

It's like reading a comic or reading award winning literature.

MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 17:59   #20
CaptainX

this happend
CaptainX is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aaa, expectation, games, par