project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR General Discussion Archives
31 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2006-08-31, 23:02   #21
Sarge Egglay

I think snipers are very helpful if you spot for your squad while doing it. I am 48 and i cant compete with the instaprone youngsters. The reflexes are not what they use to be. There are times when you are in a good spot and you cant advance with the squad, then you just kill anything that moves. Some maps don't lend themselves to good sniping, but many are sniper heaven. Give it a try you might fall in love with it.
Old 2006-09-01, 11:18   #22
casualtyUR

Assuming a Sniper is in a squad, generally speaking, Snipers rarely support a fireteam directly. Sure they kill the enemy but usually they are firing on random guys half a mile away from the fireteam and are not shooting the enemies which the fireteam is confronting.

Snipers should be looking over the shoulders of their fireteams, to kill a trooper which makes it past the line or to cover the medic.

Rarely have I seen a enemy trooper go down magicly from sniper fire; they are firing to unknown regions of the map.

Granted I'm bais, and I've seen excellent and effective Sniping in PR Tourney but those guys are trained and are looking out for the well being of the squads.

Old 2006-09-01, 17:16   #23
longhairedhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_two
Snipers in a squad would definately be useful, but the fact remains that most snipers would rather go away themselves and sit on a roof somewhere than backup a squad. This is why most are considered non-team players.

No offence to any snipers that do this on here but I have never once seen a sniper backup a squad, not ONCE.

I dont think kit limiting will help this at all, you will just be left with a few less snipers in the same places on every map working for themselves.
You have never played with me!! Snipers can offer great support to their squad...spotting enemies....taking out enemies at long range...providing cover fire...it is so great to take a shot and miss a guy, but watch him panic becasue he doesn't know where it's coming from. This occupies him from shooting at a teammate...indirectly helping!! I actually think that it is best to have the sniper as the squad leader because we usually sit "on the fringe" of the battle and can provide a good spawn point.
I am really tired of all the "I hate snipers" threads...just wait until the next patch when we will be even more accurate...limit the kits all you want...I will still be sniping....and all those who hate snipers...will hate them even more.

Old 2006-09-01, 18:46   #24
Wipeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualtyUR
Assuming a Sniper is in a squad, generally speaking, Snipers rarely support a fireteam directly. Sure they kill the enemy but usually they are firing on random guys half a mile away from the fireteam and are not shooting the enemies which the fireteam is confronting.

Snipers should be looking over the shoulders of their fireteams, to kill a trooper which makes it past the line or to cover the medic.

Rarely have I seen a enemy trooper go down magicly from sniper fire; they are firing to unknown regions of the map.

Granted I'm bais, and I've seen excellent and effective Sniping in PR Tourney but those guys are trained and are looking out for the well being of the squads.
You don't play with me enough! I don't know how many times I'm like 50 meters behind rhino just popping people that he doesn't see till he walks around a corner and see's there body..

Old 2006-09-01, 19:30   #25
brummett

I'm a sniper 33% of the time (as needed). Need to cover a long bridge to get squads over etc. defend a flag/area or simply spot? If you don't like snipers, it's probably cause your not very good as one but like it or not, they do serve a purpose. Hint: thats why ever military game made, has this class

Old 2006-09-02, 08:09   #26
[BiM]Black7

Send a message via MSN to [BiM]Black7

I usally play sniper when its needed mostly not in the begining of a map cuz then you need assult squads and support.

Tho when your coming to a point when there is a fight over 1 flag and it takes ages becuz the enemy is defending heavy i normaly just go sniper and flank and finds me a highspot to spot them out and snip them out..

normaly works..

having 5+ snipers is a waste.. you just need like 2 per team to do the job.

"It's every man's dream to hear that beer and pizza can prevent cancer," he said. "However, the 17 beers and four large pizzas needed to get enough xanthohumol and lycopene to help prevent prostate cancer is unfortunately not advised."
Old 2006-09-02, 11:31   #27
Jog

Well snipers suck because of the BF2 engine and the view distance. They are just not as effective as they should be in real life.

When I was playin OFP in a squad and we played many clanmatches and usually there was only one sniper rifle avadible for each side, but it was something. Snipers were most feared, because if you used them properly one sniper could defend the flag all by himself. You just had to lie abou 250 m from your flag and wait for the enemies to come, kill one or two with SVD or M21 and change your position and then the same thing again and again.

But in BF2 snipers are crap, because of the low view distance and the fact that assault rifles are just as accurate as sniper rifles. In OFP you had no chances to take out sniper from 250 m with m16 (well usually it was even impossible to spot them from that distance, that's why we allways had 1 or 2 guys who were searchin the nearby forests and bushes for a sniper)

Oh man ArmA is gonna rock, but that's just my opinion ! :P

Tags
snipers, teamwork