project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2020-12-14, 09:55   #1
chupachupp
Default Latest Refractor 2 engine (2011)

I know this is beyond realistic expectation, but have the PR devs ever looked into replacing or patching the Refractor 2 engine used in Project Reality with a later version? The last version to my knowledge was used in that awful game called Battlefield Play4Free which has some clear improvents over the Battlefield 2 version even when just looking at gameplay videos.
I can see there is support for motion blur, post processing filters, death animations and to me the vehicles seem to behave better with the terrain. I can imagine there are also performance improvements across the board or increased compatibility with the hardware of the time. In PR smoke effects really killl fps even on a 070Ti.
I decided to check it out for myself, as some launcher called Phoenix is capable of installing the game, but unfortunately it crashes on startup for me when trying to enter their only and empty server.

Phoenix:
https://phoenixnetwork.net/index.php

Decent video footage of P4F:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vppPiiotlWs
Last edited by chupachupp; 2020-12-14 at 10:04..
Old 2020-12-14, 16:50   #2
lakinen
Default Re: Latest Refractor 2 engine (2011)

Unfortunately, that is impossible.

I fondly remember both games,they were shut down due to lack of earnings.And they composed a song for that game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_U0-wDUexo

Good old times

greeting

There's no real flame on your screen, it's just magic

lakinen is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-15, 00:46   #3
SShadowFox

People have suggested moving PR into BF2142's version of the Refractor Engine, though I'm not sure if it's the same version as used on BFP4F. But in either case, it's not something the Devs are likely to do, since it would involve porting everything into a different version of the engine which would take a massive effort to be done for very little gain.

[R-DEV]Spec:The suggestion is not accepted, I merely wanted to comment.
SShadowFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-15, 14:26   #4
chupachupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShadowFox View Post
People have suggested moving PR into BF2142's version of the Refractor Engine, though I'm not sure if it's the same version as used on BFP4F. But in either case, it's not something the Devs are likely to do, since it would involve porting everything into a different version of the engine which would take a massive effort to be done for very little gain.
Understandable take.
I really wish I could get P4F to work and see what else might be different. It is hard for me to estimate the amount of manhours this would require, graphics be damned, but if for example the tickrate is much better there could be significant improvements that do make it worth to look into. Not only would hit registration be improved in that case, I believe I read once that the weapons' rate of fire in PRBF2 are also limited to this tickrate... Who knows what work has been done between 2006 and 2011 on Refractor 2. There is almost no information on this out there.
chupachupp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-15, 17:14   #5
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

IIRC There was an example of 2142's version in the mini-mod Combined Arms, or maybe it was just a few borrowed features from that engine, like gun stabilization, thermals before PR had them, top attack missiles and working gauges in aircraft

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-15, 18:21   #6
Murphy

This is a monumental undertaking. These ideas entail a lot more than simply exporting/importing assets from BF2 to whichever other game in the series you would like. There is not a lot of info available for Refactor, I believe it's a proprietary engine and you would have to likely get in touch with EA/DICE for any documentation.

I'd love to see it but I doubt anyone with the knowledge to do it would invest the time needed to see it through.

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote