project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
30 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2021-06-15, 08:35   #1
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Public testing of server side changes

As some of you might have noticed, some things on HOG dont work as on other servers. This is due to us deploying some functions for testing to HOG for live testing. These things are planned to be included in a future release. Currently we are testing these features:

Showing kick/ban reason
When you get kicked from HOG, you will now see the old Punkbuster window with the reason of your kick. In the client update we will adjust the messages to get rid of all the Punkbuster terminology. Further we are working on showing the reason for ban when you try to join a server you are banned on.

Improving performance
Thanks to HOG profiling their server, we managed to identify some performance issues. Some of these come from code/features that we do not even use and we disabled them completely. This reduces the stress on the server a little bit, but is far from being noticeable by players.

Instant kit change
When you request a new kit or use the comorose to drop your kit, this now happens instantly and no longer requires you to press G to pick it up. We plan to expand this onto reviving in such a way that you will always be revived with your original kit, no matter how far you got dragged.

Squads joinable while dead and spawn blocking
This was a feature of BF2 that was added late designed to address the issue of players choosing any squad leader on the team to spawn on, by simply joining their squad. Since we do not use squad leader spawn points and can now properly block a player from spawning on a specific spawnpoint, we have removed this feature. However, using the same rules, you will not be able to spawn on a rallypoint if you've joined the squad while dead, unless you have not spawned yet this round.

We will update this thread, if we add more things to the public testing. Other servers who want to help testing can contact us in Discord. If you have any feedback, feel free to post below.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Last edited by AlonTavor; 2021-06-25 at 08:23..
Old 2021-06-15, 10:43   #2
Coalz101

Default Re: Public testing of server side changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Instant kit change
When you request a new kit or use the comorose to drop your kit, this now happens instantly and no longer requires you to press G to pick it up. We plan to expand this onto reviving in such a way that you will always be revived with your original kit, no matter how far you got dragged.
That thing had me tripping soo hard, I guess because it took me by surprise I been pressing g all this time to pickup a rifleman kit, honestly though I think there should be an audio cue for this (We're already bombarded by so much text notifiers) just for the older players who press G by default. This one is a great feature it shaves a second or two when you're in desperate need for a kit, but now I have to fight my own muscle memory until I get use to it.

Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-15, 11:39   #3
Skywalker-11

Quote:
We plan to expand this onto reviving in such a way that you will always be revived with your original kit, no matter how far you got dragged.

What would happen if someone else picked up the kit in the meantime? Kit duplication or does the other person loose that kit again?
Skywalker-11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-15, 12:17   #4
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker-11 View Post
What would happen if someone else picked up the kit in the meantime? Kit duplication or does the other person loose that kit again?
If the kit is no longer on the ground, you would work as it does now: You get revived with closest kit or unarmed, if no kit around.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-16, 11:44   #5
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
As some of you might have noticed, some things on HOG dont work as on other servers. This is due to us deploying some functions for testing to HOG for live testing. These things are planned to be included in a future release. Currently we are testing these features:

Instant kit change

We will update this thread, if we add more things to the public testing. Other servers who want to help testing can contact us in Discord. If you have any feedback, feel free to post below.
So its kind of hard to get used to. Can we have toggle options for this so we can decide ourselves? Also I need G to drop my kit and pick it up at will for playing dead, need to do it anytime without the "Try again later" message. Its every 2 minutes i can drop it or if i have had my kit dropped for 30 seconds to a minute or more, if i dont move too far i can drop it again even after a kill.

Can we have G just drop the kit like it already does seemingly randomly without the commo rose right click function? Distances for picking up kits needs to be arms reach so when i try to play dead i dont accidentally pick up the kit i dont want when i need to drop it to hide in the dead body.

Can we try having shotguns remove stamina from civilians? This way everyone doesn't scatter at sight of a shotgun and we can protest outside the cache throwing rocks, using them as human shields sitting far back shooting through their legs. One civilian against a shotgun will still be weak because its just one guy to remove running stamina for, but a whole crowd of civilians protected by insurgents using iron sights to snipe. Standard cuff chase will remain but instant arrest wont. Creates fun opportunities.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-16, 12:42   #6
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer

We did not touch the functionality of the G button
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-18, 01:54   #7
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
What i mean is I need the G control for this to be toggled. Honestly, i know you want people to get the kit they just requested right away. But this change has cost people kits because they still press G when they dont need to getting a kit after automatically getting requested one. I get so confused. What if i want to request a kit for somebody else? Toggle if possible please. You removed G as a step for dropping kit, so i accidentally pick it up when i try playing dead. Only if possible, otherwise i will adapt, but I dont want to for this. I need control over when drop or pick up happens.

Did I mention I'm a deadly SOB? Life is like a box of chocolates fool, you never know if its me till you break down that psychological warfare that done happened to you or your friendlies. Get to know me on the Squad v12 and Project Reality 1.5 teamwork playlist on YouTube for 20+ skills
Old 2021-06-22, 18:06   #8
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
What i mean is I need the G control for this to be toggled. Honestly, i know you want people to get the kit they just requested right away. But this change has cost people kits because they still press G when they dont need to getting a kit after automatically getting requested one. I get so confused. What if i want to request a kit for somebody else? Toggle if possible please. You removed G as a step for dropping kit, so i accidentally pick it up when i try playing dead. Only if possible, otherwise i will adapt, but I dont want to for this. I need control over when drop or pick up happens.
I do it too, you don't need to do that, you will get used to it over time.

FFG is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 21:58   #9
Grump/Gump.45

Exclamation Re: Public testing of server side changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG View Post
I do it too, you don't need to do that, you will get used to it over time.
I have changed my mind about this whole press G thing. I did not consider, that now I dont need to worry about pressing G to play dead which in the past... I used to need to take the kit out of dead body before playing dead using the body because every time I pressed G to drop my kit or cycle it to prevent it from disappearing it would just pick up the other kit. But now i can walk up to any dead body, just drop my kit and when i need to cycle it.. Amazingly it doesnt pick up the 2nd kit in dead body im using when i cycle my kit.

Was this in anyway intended to make playing dead easier by dropping kit?

Basically the only ways to kill me while playing dead are body i use disappears for you to see my head and hands.. You catch me cycling my kit and that means I have to not hear your approach. You have to kick or push my body, stab, shoot, pre-fire or grenade the body pile. Im pretty good about anticipating grenade landing positions, I point my legs to grenades and I eat a lot of the damage that way. If I get up in front of you then you will require new pants and a night light to sleep whether I get you or not.
Old 2021-06-25, 00:32   #10
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
So I have been whacking enemies with knives and machetes a lot lately. Did you recently change the damage and armor values of knives since my post about knife wounding? Do armor value changes end up in change logs? It was easier 2 weeks ago. Two instances i remember in detail, one with machete whacking US Army player 5+ times and the next day using Russian AK-74M bayonet hitting 3 out of 5 thrusts on torso. Im sort of ok with the machete instance, but the bayonet made me mad. What used to be one hit kills for the body now takes 2-4. What used to be 2 hits to the limb is now 4-5. I tested this on friendly with a medic, the lower legs for sure take 25% damage. Even Shabz said something about knives being crap now.

For armored plate carrier vests, low abdomen hits should get blocked by the mags/pouches/gear. The chest should have a chance to glance slide the knife/bayonet up toward the face/neck/collar bone where armor ends for 1 hit down. If there is more hit box available for under the arm or through the arm to torso angle, would love that. Having a side hit do damage of the arm then pass to torso for that damage from one bullet, or is this the case already?

The limbs for knife damage should be 50% of health each hit with knife except lower legs, if one arm is hit then the other I would say functionally done, at least for enemies with gun out. Maybe change armor values for knives for having knife out vs gun because when 2 knives go against each other there is a natural parry effect whether it works or not, known as defensive wounds. I notice bullets graze the side of body, maybe knives already do the same.

Knife vs gun should be easy for knife kills when you hit because they carry rifle low ready, you can get inside of where rifle is past your body when they aim, you can duck under rifle barrels and rifle low ready cant come up when blocked by your body meaning any hip fire trigger pull while up against enemy should hit low. Knife vs gun when the knife hits should be fast death for fairness and realism, if they want to use the gun while you are pressed against them, for them to shoot your upper body while hip firing they need to create distance of not touching your body .

So knife vs knife could take 4-5 hits on arms due to defensive wounds, 2 hits for armored torso at most but 1 hit still possible. This way is more fair when the guy has hit gun ready to shoot versus pulling his knife out. Rest will come down to foot movement.