project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
22 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2014-01-25, 18:20   #1
SShadowFox

Default [WEAPON] IMBEL IA-2 [WIP]

So, the IMBEL IA-2 rifle being made for the (unofficial) Brazilian Army COMFAC by a friend who have also be doing some other models that can be found here. Now I want to make a thread just for this gun as it is almost done.

p3d.in - ia2finaltest

Main body UV:

Mobile parts UV:

Bayonet:

UV:

Now what I want to know is if there's something to be fixed on the UV and also if it's needed to optimize the model in order to reduce the tris count. I also want a volunteer to make the textures for it, if anyone is interested contact me.

[R-DEV]Spec:The suggestion is not accepted, I merely wanted to comment.
SShadowFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 18:34   #2
CTRifle
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to CTRifle
Default Re: [WEAPON] IMBEL IA-2 [WIP]

Alright, so going from a texturing point of view (not a pro but if I were UVing it), what ive circled is just alot of pieces that are separate, and imo unorganized. yo should stitch the pieces together so that it can have more of a continuous seam then. So basically put more pieces together. It would make it alot easier to have larger things together to get a nice texture

mobile parts UV, maybe just get them a little closer to one another so you can save space and even make it a little larger depending on how much space you can get.

For the bayonet UV, reorganize it so you can do it 512x1024 or even smaller? Either way there is alot of wasted space there
knife texture

CTRifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 19:10   #3
3===SPECTER===3

Yea the UVs could be a lot better. Right now there's a lot of wasted space (between the faces) and a lot of the shapes are very small & just kind of placed all over the place. I don't have much time now to give detailed feedback (Rhino will prob come in at some point and give something better) But I'd start with re-UVing the main faces and stitching together as much as you can, especially things on the same smoothing groups. You can also overlap a lot of those smaller UVs (the small circles etc...) if they're not going to have drastically different textures and they're so small in comparison to the rest of the gun that they don't need to be taking up all that pixel space. The biggest parts of the gun, & the parts closest to the players face in 1st person need to have the most pixel space. I'd re UV it with that in mind and realize that the simpler you make your UV shapes, (square rectangles etc...) the tighter you can pack them together.

3===SPECTER===3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 19:34   #4
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

Pretty much uv's need to be redone - have a look into overlapping uvs and UV packing theory. The gun should also all be on one UV sheet rather than 2. And as CRT mentioned, maybe take the knife to a 512^2 or 1024x512.

BEFORE you do any more UV stuff though there are some critical fixes that need to be applied to the model.

Main things
- I can see Z-fighting on parts of your mesh
- LOTS of un-needed triangles on the mesh! I suggest posting up lost of wireframe pictures here and the guys can give you criticisms.
- Prioritize detail! pretty much your whole pistol grip/trigger assemply is pushing more polies than your rear sight! (Trigger is almost never seen, sight is constantly!) Make the rear sight perfectly rounded so you cant see any jaggyness.
- Make the stock more round, will be a seen a lot.

Good stuff though, keep at it!
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-25, 21:03   #5
SShadowFox

Thanks for the feedback, click here for the wireframe pics. If you guys want I can take more.

Old 2014-01-27, 13:13   #6
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY

Loads of unneeded verts here, i marked just the worst offenders, there is much more. As was said you give way too many tris to your trigger and pistol grip. The magazine needs to be more round, 3 sides just dont cut it. The barrel (except for the flash suppressor) is could do with being less smooth maybe, for something that is really far away from you. Spend the tris on something that is right in your face, like the stock.

The barrel should have a cone, which with good texture will make it appear "endless". Although not really important for a 1p model, it really is important for a 3p model.

Detailed look on area wih loads of unneeded verts.

For the UVs, best bet would be to take a look at how recently made weapons with RIS rails have their UVs set up.

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 23:06   #7
SShadowFox

UPDATE:

p3d.in - ia2completo

UV:

Normals:

Bayonet UV:

Old 2014-02-21, 13:07   #8
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY

Half of the useless verticles i showed above are still present.

Dont worry yourself with UVs for now, first get the model done.

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 15:26   #9
SShadowFox

The modeler told me that for some reason p3d seem to be generating random verts:

p3d.in - ia2edited2

But there are indeed some over there that still haven't be removed, only saw this now...

Old 2014-02-22, 16:48   #10
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Those aren't "random verts", in fact those are edges. Add a "Turn to Poly" modifier and change limit polygon size to 3 and you will see how the model will be ingame:

Like lucky I also see a hell of a lot of wasted verts/tris, even in your max screenshots.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ia2, imbel, weapon, wip