project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2018-04-17, 08:43   #1
waldov

Exclamation Mine/IED system is broken

I don't think its even up for disputable anymore, sappers and engineers are unfairly punished for others mistakes. Insurgency mode suffers the greatest from the current system of solely punishing people for deploying mines. There's usually enough communication and teamwork to circumvent mishaps in AAS rounds but in Insurgency layers, in particular layers with the Iraqi Insurgents its total chaos 80% of the time as far as using IED's go.

What should be an essential aspect of OPFOR defense in Insurgency maps ends up more often than not being counter productive, resulting in dozens of team kills, destroying valuable transports and assets and creating general frustration for OPFOR more than it damages the Blufor team. However the burden of guilt for teamkills as a result of IED's falls far more upon careless "hey but it doesn't cost tickets" insurgent players rather than the IED planters themselves.

Its unfortunate because when IED deployment does work its great for game play and immersion, not many things in PR are more suspenseful than clearing a heavily mined suburb in Fallujah with your squad or as rewarding as seeing a small convoy or a bunch of squads fall into your trap of command and pressure detonated IED's.
At the very least punishing people who walk over mines as well as the planter will at-least make both side equally respectful of both the utility and danger that comes with mines, but as it stands only the planters have any incentive to respect the use of mines which simply doesn't work when no one else in the team shares an equal incentive to work around and alongside mines and IED's. The only other alternative I can think of, and it hurts me to say, but bringing back the warning signs from vanilla BF2 would make IEDs and mines really work for Insurgent teams, an advantage they desperately need in a game-mode where they've generally been getting decimated in for some time now.

waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 08:57   #2
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Default Re: Mine/IED system is broken

If the people who place mines wouldn't mine every entrance/exit to caches it would be helpful. IEDs shouldn't be near objectives, they should be place in/around supply routes and popular paths of travel.

FFG is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-17, 10:24   #3
waldov

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG View Post
If the people who place mines wouldn't mine every entrance/exit to caches it would be helpful. IEDs shouldn't be near objectives, they should be place in/around supply routes and popular paths of travel.
I agree and I most definitely don't rule out a form of punishment for the people who plant mines when it comes to causing teamkills, but I think that without a mutual respect for mines between both Sappers and everyone else in the team the current system only serves to dissuade people from using IED's as only those that use them are punished whereas its often the fault of both parties, or in many instances just outright carelessness on behalf of players.

As nice an idea as the piled rock IED warning markers are, they're as good as useless as most players aren't looking at the ground, are simply noobs running and gunning or its just a case that the sappers cant risk making it obvious without warning Blufor as well. For IEDs to be as useful as they should there needs to be enough of a disincentive that players are more wary of friendly ieds and use there maps or warning signs like bf2 so players aren't running into them like headless chickens.

waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-18, 12:17   #4
Tommygun

In the mists of time someone said they had managed to make vanilla BF2 markers work in PR but not sure if this was bogus or access to refractor engine source code was needed. It would be an amazing update..even if it was still limited to 3 or 4 per player.
On another note, the limit of 3 mine markers per player is partly to blame for TKs but placers of mines should/could ask the sqd leader or Commander to place extra markers as they can do.
Tommygun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-18, 12:43   #5
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygun View Post
make vanilla BF2 markers work in PR .
What are you referring to? Because they always worked.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-18, 18:54   #6
Tommygun

The kind of floating skull and cross bone things that shows up in main view while walking about not looking at the map. Sort of holographic thing.
Old 2018-04-18, 19:01   #7
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygun View Post
The kind of floating skull and cross bone things that shows up in main view while walking about not looking at the map. Sort of holographic thing.
objectTemplate.3dMapIcon, should still work, but pretty sure it would show to both teams.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-18, 19:17   #8
Tommygun

That's probably it but of course in Vanilla BF2 it only showed for the mine owners team. Also on the claymores.
Old 2018-04-18, 20:08   #9
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor
Project Reality Beta Tester

I'm very much in favour of this system being reintroduced.

Why? Well, we've been taught to cautiously observe how locals and civilians behave and move when on patrol. If you see them taking a big long walk around a stretch of road to reach their fields or houses or show other, let's say, "purpose-driven behaviour" as opposed to them just strolling around, you can bet there's something fishy going on.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-18, 20:48   #10
Tommygun

An addition like that would be PR1.6 worthy, maybe even PR2.0....

Tags
broken, mine or ied, punishment, system