project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
22 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2015-03-24, 11:43   #721
Psyko

Default Re: Squad: A commercial game made by developers of and inspired by PR:BF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberNative View Post
wat. so alternating the current model and changing the size of a head and helmet takes months?
inb4 you claim to be a game developer who has worked under deadlines...
I'm making conversation, not judging. I'm a 3d animator who has worked in between deadlines.
and judging from the duration the developers demonstrated on the Project reality forums down the last few years. it takes time for one dev to hand work off to another dev, the pipeline is less rapid than a professional environment where you are constantly in crunch time, because the devs are self motivated and that is an economy where you get good results but stuff takes longer to do. The guy who is currently making the currently most high priority character model would need to go back and deconstruct the geometry to edit the head for example, and then hand it off to the rigger to put everything in working order and maybe the texture artist is asked to take a look in case there are new size discrepancies and then that has to get recompiled by whoever organizes the game build, so its not as much a speedbump as it is a violent restructuring of the pipeline. Simply put, one problem like a character having a head that's too large can be something on everyone's to do list seperatly, unless there is one person doing multipal tasks and even that has it's own problems. Example, if the one person is, sculpting, retopologizing, rigging, and texturing, they still have the same amount of workload that 4 professionals have only now they are exausted and fatigued due to overload. That's why i personally believe it will take months, as in, if they put it on the to do list now, it might be done by may for example. I'm not saying they are bad, im saying it's not a studio environment where there is a producer hounding you. but granted, changing the head size for example is a more simple set of chores. 3dsmax is as i have discovered allows the editing of morph targets much more quickly than maya, so re-sizing the morph targets might be quick. Also, a lot of the time the subdivision level of a head is different than the body to retain greater facial details, so the head mesh may be separate from the body, and that makes the job even easier. I don't know their setup, all i got is theories here. They'll probably post a screenshot soon showing the head-size decreased proving me wrong.
Last edited by Psyko; 2015-03-24 at 11:50..
Old 2015-03-24, 19:52   #722
Saobh
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Squad: A commercial game made by developers of and inspired by PR:BF2

I fail to see the problem here, the models look fine

The only acceptable 'Lone Wolf' you'll be allowed to play : http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

Last edited by [R-MOD]Saobh; 2015-03-24 at 23:15..
Old 2015-03-24, 23:03   #723
Anderson29
Supporting Member

i wont be impressed till i see 50v50....but i am appreciative of their efforts and wish the devs all the best.

in-game name : Anderson2981
steam : Anderson2981
Anderson29 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 00:40   #724
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Saobh View Post
I fail to see the problem here, the models look fine

yeah i don't mean to sound cynical or pessimistic, i'm really looking forward to it. im just making conversation.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 01:30   #725
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberNative View Post
wat. so alternating the current model and changing the size of a head and helmet takes months?
inb4 you claim to be a game developer who has worked under deadlines...
Yes it will, it isnt just resizing a head we are talking about here.

"Without geometry, life is pointless"
Z-trooper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 03:38   #726
Allan Davidson

How much extra should I pay for a feature that allows me to adjust the size of the body parts of my soldier via sliders?

/homo
Allan Davidson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 09:25   #727
IMI-GALIL.223
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Davidson View Post
How much extra should I pay for a feature that allows me to adjust the size of the body parts of my soldier via sliders?

/homo
What?.?.?
IMI-GALIL.223 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-31, 12:01   #728
Zeno

Send a message via MSN to Zeno

Gief 10x10 miles maps

but for realz, look at the quality of that terrain! amazing!

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan: Not having a spotter is like masturbating with a cheese grater...mildly amusing at first, but generally painful and bloody in the end.

Thornehaw: If all this have been evidently true, Battlefield is a much scarier and dirtier than ever imagined. Not a conspiracy, but a possibility. If it is true, then trusting another is quite worrisome.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-31, 12:09   #729
Allan Davidson

Full video.

Twitch
Allan Davidson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-31, 12:55   #730
gipakok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post

Gief 10x10 miles maps

but for realz, look at the quality of that terrain! amazing!
I find it really hard to believe that the maps will really look as good as that on the demo. It is a nice map though.
gipakok is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
... hides behind, ..the alpha status, .for everything wrong, 5 fps, blur my screen, blurry, commercial, developers, game, inspired, katarn loves crysis, machinima, player forgot glass, poxo is ghey, pr > squad, prbf2, shit game, shitty blurry game, specs, squad