project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Nov 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

View Poll Results: High Points/ Fast Spawn servers
PR should have it's spawn timer hardcoded. 143 75.66%
What's the problem? 41 21.69%
Where are the kewl knives and pistols servers dood??? 5 2.65%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-13, 07:46   #21
Fenix16

I personally despise short spawn servers. It takes away so much from what PR is and how it functions. What I really have to question though, is how have you guys allowed some of them to become ABR?
Old 2007-03-13, 08:02   #22
M.J.Patterson
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]eggman
Yeah it's outta hand. It's their server .. I get it .. but it's OUR mod.

I am pretty sure we will figure out a way to do something about this. I'd rather lose players and servers than have the mod run with 10s spawn times and the sort of player that attracts.

In the old days you couldn't get a game going because there were so few good players. Now you can't get a decent game going because there are so few good servers.
Would it be possible to only distribute the server files to the PROS servers? I don't know how easy it is to manipulate server files but that "might" do some good. Have it privately available to all the PROS admins somehow and then sign some agreement.. etc etc.

I don't know.. just an idea.

Don't all ABR servers have to be PROS?

Old 2007-03-13, 08:08   #23
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I have to say we didn't anticipate so many server admins butchering up the mod heh. Having 1 or 2 servers that deviate... that's totally cool imo .. different strokes for different folks... but to see the majority of the servers with some sort of odd and awful configuration hack is not acceptable to us.

Things like spawn timers and attrition spawning .. like it or not .. are part of the design of the mod. How can the Insurgents be balanced when their advantage is varying from server to server? How are we supposed to take feedback from players on vehicle dynamics when server admins are having tanks respawn in 2 minutes??

And as for ABR .. well WE control the criterion for ABR ranked servers, so we'll probably be disabling some servers from ABR if they go outside of acceptable configuration parameters.

I think we'll probably have a "recruit" setting and a PROS setting... something like that... but right now the mod is being hacked up so badly by server admins that I can't even recognise it and it attracts the wrong sort of player. There will be other mods / games out there for folks to play if they don't like what we do with restricting PR configuration changes.

Cheers!
egg

Old 2007-03-13, 08:37   #24
IronTaxi
Retired PR Developer

Yeah for eggman..our champion with the big ass sniper rifle.. yeah its just really really demoralizing for us guys putting in at least 20 in some case 40+ hours a week modding (not playing at all)

Old 2007-03-13, 08:47   #25
M.J.Patterson
Retired PR Developer

Well.. this is a little tangent but in regards to devs not playing...

Would two of the Devs be interested in commanding the teams in the Battlefield Cooperative: War Games? We're a little tight on space so I can't confirm that we would actually be able to make it happen at this stage... we're still confirming the last few attendees but I figured I should run it by you guys anyway...

War Games Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajunCajun
We need a commadner too.
Who will be the Cooperative commander?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.J.Paterson
Phew.. you said it brother.. I have no clue. I know I've played with some excellent commanders and some really bull-headed commanders. We could pull this from electing a volunteer from a clan, electing a knowledgeable non-clan player, or the most intriguing idea.. one of the DEVS!
/end tangent

Old 2007-03-13, 08:50   #26
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

By reducing the spawn/death times, we're playing vanilla with PR weaponry, that's just not right. Be careful with what you do out there. If spawn time is only like 5 seconds, who cares if you die 50 times? In 'normal' PR, you will and must think twice before running down the battlegrounds, storming the enemy... blindfolded!

Old 2007-03-13, 09:02   #27
[PTG]Z.user

Send a message via MSN to [PTG]Z.user

These reduced spawn time servers are a pain in the arse to be honest. I was on Myxo last night (didnt know about the spawn time thingy) with my fellow PR buddy Hoot and it was a noob fest..bunny hopping teamkilling waste of time.
All you see is PrivateNoob [Teamkilled] PR lover
PrivateNoob "oops sorry i didnt know you were on my team"
PR lover "No probs just be more careful and spot things"
PrivateNoob "where do i get the sniper kit"
PrivateNoob [Teamkilled] Pr lover
"oops again my bad"

[PTG] RECRUITING NOW
Xfire me: Zuser
Old 2007-03-13, 09:03   #28
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [PTG]Z.user
These reduced spawn time servers are a pain in the arse to be honest. I was on Myxo last night (didnt know about the spawn time thingy) with my fellow PR buddy Hoot and it was a noob fest..bunny hopping teamkilling waste of time.
All you see is PrivateNoob [Teamkilled] PR lover
PrivateNoob "oops sorry i didnt know you were on my team"
PR lover "No probs just be more careful and spot things"
PrivateNoob "where do i get the sniper kit"
PrivateNoob [Teamkilled] Pr lover
"oops again my bad"
lol .. yeah that's pretty much exactly how it goes.

Cheers!
egg

Old 2007-03-13, 09:06   #29
Vaalealiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]eggman
In the old days you couldn't get a game going because there were so few good players. Now you can't get a decent game going because there are so few good servers.
I'm gointo setup a server, when we get our brand new server running, some time next week.

Old 2007-03-13, 09:07   #30
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [PTG]Z.user
These reduced spawn time servers are a pain in the arse to be honest. I was on Myxo last night ...... PrivateNoob [Teamkilled] Pr lover
"oops again my bad"
Yes, as sad as it is... you're right

Closed Thread

Tags
growing, servers, trend