project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2019-04-18, 10:42   #1
zido
Default legality of pr no trolling please

hello guys. i first heard of the game back in 2018 when a friend of mine told me about and that its free to play ,so i downloaded and played . then i heard that bf2 is now abandon ware and that you can download it for free either and that ea can do nothing about it and then i saw revive shut down so i begin to wonder is pr standalone is legal and most importantly to me is it right to use bf2 assets in the game as its dead so in short i didn't buy bf2 and i guess i cant as its not sold anymore by ea so does even ea knows about pr if so and they dint do anything about it so i guess they are approving it so i can play with clear conscious . p.s i am living in a country that its fine to torrent games so legality is not the issue here.
Old 2019-04-18, 12:24   #2
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: legality of pr no trolling please

We always look at it as a grey-zone.

It is indeed no longer possible to buy battlefield 2, neither are the online services of battlefield 2 available anymore so you only legally have one option: don't play BF2 or PR.

But to allow people to continue to play PR we indeed went standalone.

Even before we went standalone we already did things that technically weren't allowed by the EULA such as hacking into the executable of BF2 to make things like the compass or our 3D VOIP work. EA/DICE never seemed to really mind. Neither was there any noticeable issue with them when we went standalone ( we were never contacted). It's common believe that BF2 revive was shut down as they were using battlefield (and EA?) logos, something we always avoided. We don't want to interfere with somebody else their brand.

So ultimately it comes down to your own conscious. But given there isn't a choice to play BF2, PR or any online mod 100% legally anymore we consider it abandonware where we enter the grey-zone of legality.

Old 2019-04-18, 15:38   #3
[R-CON]​Suchar
PR:BF2 Contributor
Project Reality Beta Tester
PR Server License Moderator

Also, the revive project was not shut down by EA. EA just asked them to remove EA trademarks, thats all - but for some reason they (the Revive Team or whatever they were called) decided to shut whole project down.
EA has no real benefits from shuting us down either. They would only make their reputation worse in the eyes of the players. I doubt they will ever shut us down. We would have to do something really stupid

prta is known for his lack of "authority" on cheaters, your server your rules if you want to close an eye on him do so ~ A guy (who was proven to be a cheater next day) right after reporting another cheater
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2019-04-18, 16:12   #4
zido

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucharMistrz View Post
Also, the revive project was not shut down by EA. EA just asked them to remove EA trademarks, thats all - but for some reason they (the Revive Team or whatever they were called) decided to shut whole project down.
EA has no real benefits from shuting us down either. They would only make their reputation worse in the eyes of the players. I doubt they will ever shut us down. We would have to do something really stupid
didnt they ask also to stop distributing their game ? anyway pr is totally different as it only uses things from the game not all the game right ?
Old 2019-04-18, 16:13   #5
zido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineral View Post
We always look at it as a grey-zone.

It is indeed no longer possible to buy battlefield 2, neither are the online services of battlefield 2 available anymore so you only legally have one option: don't play BF2 or PR.

But to allow people to continue to play PR we indeed went standalone.

Even before we went standalone we already did things that technically weren't allowed by the EULA such as hacking into the executable of BF2 to make things like the compass or our 3D VOIP work. EA/DICE never seemed to really mind. Neither was there any noticeable issue with them when we went standalone ( we were never contacted). It's common believe that BF2 revive was shut down as they were using battlefield (and EA?) logos, something we always avoided. We don't want to interfere with somebody else their brand.

So ultimately it comes down to your own conscious. But given there isn't a choice to play BF2, PR or any online mod 100% legally anymore we consider it abandonware where we enter the grey-zone of legality.
so i guess when you do something you dont know if its ok but the owner didnt tell you its not ok so he doesnt mind right ?
Old 2019-04-18, 16:15   #6
zido

also didnt eggman said that dice were ok by using their assets ?
Old 2019-04-18, 17:40   #7
Frontliner

Yes he did say something to that effect, but you never, ever operate under word of mouth. If EA were to sign us a written form of them being ok with us doing whatever if it doesn't involve using their brand names or logos, that's the only time I'd ever argue we can rely on their good will - somewhat.

Right now it's best for all of us if we pretend to not exist and hope EA deems us not worthy of their time as well.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Old 2019-04-18, 17:54   #8
zido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
Yes he did say something to that effect, but you never, ever operate under word of mouth. If EA were to sign us a written form of them being ok with us doing whatever if it doesn't involve using their brand names or logos, that's the only time I'd ever argue we can rely on their good will - somewhat.

Right now it's best for all of us if we pretend to not exist and hope EA deems us not worthy of their time as well.
ok i mean that the creators of the game are unofficially recognizing pr as i dont care about legal issues as long as they really dont mind what is happening but by the way why didnt anyone tried to replace the game assets so we can get out of this grey area ?
Old 2019-04-18, 19:06   #9
[R-CON]​Suchar
PR:BF2 Contributor
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zido View Post
why didnt anyone tried to replace the game assets so we can get out of this grey area ?
Yeah, we will gladly do it instead of WW2.

If they wanted to shut us down, they would have done it long ago.

prta is known for his lack of "authority" on cheaters, your server your rules if you want to close an eye on him do so ~ A guy (who was proven to be a cheater next day) right after reporting another cheater
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2019-04-19, 12:58   #10
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Replacing game assets isn't enough if we still use the core of the game.

Closed Thread