project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2019-01-26, 04:44   #1
Lange

Send a message via AIM to Lange Send a message via MSN to Lange
Default What happened to the playerbase?

Hey all,

I recently came back to the mod after a few years, built a new gaming rig and was really excited to get back into PR. I'm happy to be in it again and some cool new content, however I have noticed the playerbase seems to have dropped down? It seems that there is generally only one close to full server most nights (HOG) and very few to no one in other servers. So based off that a little below 100 to 150 on at once. Even tonight on a Friday night sadly about the same except one other server had like less than 50.

This is a sad deal, because while we all know PR was never massively popular it had a decent playerbase for what it was. Used to be like average of 300-400 on at a given time.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I sure hope that its not that scarce nowdays. Especially that this mod has come so far and looks to still have active development that even the best is yet to come.

Any thoughts or anyone maybe fill me in some more on whats going on? Thanks much
Lange is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 08:39   #2
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: What happened to the playerbase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange View Post
Hey all,

I recently came back to the mod after a few years, ....
perhaps time?

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 15:33   #3
Pronck
Supporting Member

Besides the game getting older and the playerbase some communities also imploded resulting in people leaving the PR community as a whole.

We are staying up!
Pronck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 19:06   #4
PatrickLA_CA

I think it's amazing that there is a steady playerbase nowadays. I mean, it's not much but there is always a server (EU or NA) to play on with an almost full cap and the game is really old, so yeah, expecting more would be unrealistic.

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-26, 22:01   #5
Veterans-Gaming
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Veterans-Gaming

I was gonna say "time" but someone beat me to it.

The fact that there is more than one full server in a day for PR is a testament to the thought and gameplay design that went into PR over 15 years ago, and continued improving since then.

That's saying a lot, the competition is very shiny and new, and given the popularity of other free shooting games like Fortnite, it's actually more amazing that PR has managed to keep the player base that it has, and new players are still coming with many hanging around for the party.

Not bad, Project Reality. Not bad indeed.

Veterans-Gaming is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-27, 00:03   #6
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Cheers guys!

It should also be noted that many old players will most likely come back with big future releases such as vWW2 and vFrigate etc, as well as some new ones

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-27, 14:45   #7
Wicca
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Cheers guys!

It should also be noted that many old players will most likely come back with big future releases such as vWW2 and vFrigate etc, as well as some new ones
Rhino, you are killing the player-base for not releasing the Frigate :P

Either way, new people join everyday, be nice to eachother and play with teamwork in mind always and we can keep those new people.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-27, 15:12   #8
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
Rhino, you are killing the player-base for not releasing the Frigate :P

Either way, new people join everyday, be nice to eachother and play with teamwork in mind always and we can keep those new people.
The frigate is a lie.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-27, 16:39   #9
Rico
Retired PR Developer

For a game/mod this old its amazing how far it's gone. New games are always going to pull the player base in other directions as time passes.

It's amazing to look back when this all began back around the mid 2000's though. In fact, I just came across an interview I did with Requiem (the founder) back in 2004 about the vision for PR: https://web.archive.org/web/20041015...content&id=516

My brother (Hicks) still plays PR most days and its about time I installed it again. Squad and Post Scriptum has been getting most of my attention
Rico is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-27, 17:15   #10
Filamu
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Cheers guys!

400p right now, on a 14 year old mod, for a game that has had several new releases since. It is pretty amazing. There is a reason for it. Fantastic work on all parts of the mod, lots of good decisions, and much love put into it. Thats why some of us are still around.
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
happened, playerbase