project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Jan 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2021-09-28, 00:52   #1
Brotherscompany
Exclamation How you feel about a LVL system - Help new players

This will be a kinda long post, would appreciate if you guys actually read the points and give your opinion

So basically how do you feel to the addiction of a ranking LVL system to PR so it would be dead obvious who are the new players in order to be able to be more friendlier to them?

PR doesnt have this system like lets say BF3 which goes until LVL 1 000 000 or whatever, and I could understand why. The Ego from the players is really high in this game, especially when it comes to discussing points of views, this would be a dick measurement factor in terms of a lot of discussions. Another thing that comes to mind is the lack of respect to SL because they have a lower LVL than you and the undermining of dicisions.

But honestly PR is getting less players each day, not trying to say the game is dying but its a fact, retention of players is an actual issue not getting new ones ( @Suchar correct me if wrong but 1 year ago you said PR had 20 000 new accounts in 1 month like 1 year ago).

You see a lot of comments you have to be friendlier to noobs and so on but even if you try to do so the main issue is that there isnt a way of actually knowing who they are, or how much experience your SQ members have. This leads to situations of people being hostile to new players or simply giving them assignments that is far from their capabilities due to their lack of experience having 1-3 months of experience and they dont feel that well treated.

We got to a point in PR were the Toxicity is at all time low, the "few Veterans (there are only a few clans left)/regular players" that are still playing the game kinda know each other and recognize their name, most of them dont even discuss orders or have Ego battles as they are glad to be able to be in a cohesive INF SQ

I feel like we got to a point in PR where a LVL system could be implemented without such a significant impact on the CONS I mentioned in the beginning in order to help new players have a smoother experience and being able to retain them for longer.
How do you feel about it?
Brotherscompany is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-28, 12:00   #2
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator
Default Re: How you feel about a LVL system - Help new players

I really don't like these sort of systems in video games.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-28, 12:43   #3
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7

If we had the population, the only viable leveling system IMO would be the one where you only play with players of equal rank, so there's less chance of inexperienced players getting stomped by experienced ones, but again IF we had that kind of player pop which we don't.

Quote:
so it would be dead obvious who are the new players in order to be able to be more friendlier to them?
How about just be friendly?

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-28, 13:27   #4
[R-DEV]​Suchar
Project Reality Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherscompany View Post
But honestly PR is getting less players each day, not trying to say the game is dying but its a fact, retention of players is an actual issue not getting new ones ( @Suchar correct me if wrong but 1 year ago you said PR had 20 000 new accounts in 1 month like 1 year ago).
It was 2k (not 20k) of new nicks (which is NOT the same as new accounts) registered per month, based on log files of one of the PRTA servers. This is pre-1.6 data though (from early 2020), not very reliable.

The most reliable and up-to-date data I have, again - from one of the PRTA servers, is:
Quote:
Between 30th of April and 22nd of June 2020:

Total: 5194 unique accounts
level 0: 1227 (23,6%)
level 1: 1524 (29,3%)
level 2: 2443 (47%)
It is just the european part of the PR playerbase though. Only the data from the master server would be truly reliable.

Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-28, 16:12   #5
Filamu
Supporting Member

Could be okay with a system that is easy and fairly quick to get top level in, so that only new players get "singled out" while everyone else have the same lvl. Would be somewhat helpful both to admins and SLs, but probably not worth the effort now.
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-28, 18:04   #6
lespyd
PR Server License Moderator

Code:
This leads to situations of people being hostile to new players
I don't think visible ranks will change the behavior of people who are already hostile and only care about their own enjoyment.
lespyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-28, 19:10   #7
SemlerPDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filamu View Post
Could be okay with a system that is easy and fairly quick to get top level in, so that only new players get "singled out" while everyone else have the same lvl. Would be somewhat helpful both to admins and SLs, but probably not worth the effort now.
Now, that is a decent idea - something that only flags brand new players. Even late in the life of PR, now would be a good time to have something like that (or alternative) because veterans players should take stewardship over any incoming player base to help keep the remaining player base alive and show WHY this game is superior to most team FPS games despite it's age.

The alternative being, obviously, a friendly attitude towards basically anyone who isn't an a-hole and being communicative squad leaders when a new person joins, asking them if the name is unrecognized if they are new or know the game. This applies to COOP or Deployment, or basically any game server a community runs. Assumption is the mother of all f-ups, and sending a nugget to their certain death because we didn't know they have no cue about CQC is the fault of leadership, not new players.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-28, 20:22   #8
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
Supporting Member

If I have finish that tutorial / find someone to finish it, we can place a mark on any new player who didn't finish it.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-28, 23:01   #9
Brotherscompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz7 View Post
IMO would be the one where you only play with players of equal rank
Im not sure if I was able to fully transmit my idea but the rank/LVL would be absolutely useless, just a simple score system (which is already available at https://prstats.tk/) so we could immediately identify new players and new-semi experienced players, nothing more into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz7 View Post
How about just be friendly?
From my personal experience I have to deal with the server and sometimes I SL, I fully commit my mental capabilities to the task in hand, my focus is not on figuring out who is new or not since there are so many randoms dudes who might be new players or regular randoms. Same thing applies when Im doing regular INF. I so happen to play the game and interact with the community but there are players who have 0 contact with the community outside the game and Im sure this issue doesnt cross their mind.

The underline issue is not being able to easily tell who is new or not .
As the old saying goes to new players: "Say you are new when you join a SQ because most players already have experience and know what to do."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filamu View Post
This is exactly what I had in mind! I still think its a worthy addition since this issue has been around forever and it will continue to be as long as PR exists. A simple solution for a complex issue.
Brotherscompany is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-29, 00:10   #10
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespyd View Post
Code:
This leads to situations of people being hostile to new players
I don't think visible ranks will change the behavior of people who are already hostile and only care about their own enjoyment.
Asset whores crap on me for my infantry K/D... because they go around the map edge assuming thats how to find the enemy armor. They do it out of selfish non-teamwork preservation. Usually rolling out there with 1 or 2 tanks, no anti-air cover with them. Leaving me with no support forcing me to get creative by playing dead and using advanced skills to 110% effort in a situation where you cannot win, but only do as much damage to enemy as you can... The number of rounds I played is about equal to the number of those kinds of deaths from those players not helping.

Enemy armor and infantry can be very limiting and overwhelming, people feel the psychological effect on themselves in the situation. But fail to observe what is being done to them so they can at the least mimic it. Then produce that psychological factor for their team against the enemy.

Did I mention I'm a deadly SOB? Life is like a box of chocolates fool, you never know if its me till you break down that psychological warfare that done happened to you or your friendlies. Get to know me on the Squad v12 and Project Reality 1.5 teamwork playlist on YouTube for 20+ skills
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote