project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Jan 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2015-06-15, 01:41   #1
Heskey

Default Questions re tanks for guide

Hi all,

I'm developing a manual for the armour company of my clan, and I need a few things clarifying before I can publish the first draft. Can you help me?

1a.) Are most AA vehicles double-crewed or single-crewed?
1b.) If double-crewed, are they capable of being driven and then gunned by the same person, i.e. driven into position solo, and then used by a single player? Or, are they like heavier assets where the game will kill you if you try to enter the gunner position without a driver?
1c.) What is the activation on these weapons?

2.) Is the AMX-10RC a medium tank, IFV, or 'Recon' vehicle similar to the Scimitar?

3.) Regarding the FV4043 Challenger 2, what is the purpose of WP (White Phosphorus) rounds? Some people have told me they are just ranged smoke cannisters, others have told me it's a damage-over-time (as I believe it is IRL? If they're against the Geneva convention, how come we're using them? And didn't they originally belong to the Merkava tank)? From my own observations in live games, I don't see them dealing damage?

4.) Does the ZTZ-98 still exist in the online game? Or has it been totally replaced by the ZTZ-99A2? I used Xiangshan CO-OP as the map to get the stats on the Chinese tanks and both vehicles were present, but only the ZTZ-98 in a single-player format. If this has been replaced, I can remove it from my guide.

5.) Am I missing any tanks from this list?

AMX-56 Leclerc (France)
FV4034 Challenger 2 (Britain)
Leopard 2A6 (Canada, Germany, Netherlands)
M1A2 Abrams (US Army)
Merkava Mark IV (IDF)
T-62 (Free Syrian Army, Militia)
T-72M1 (MEC)
T-90A (Russia)
ZTZ-99A2 (China)

The recent patch notes (1.3.1.0) reference an M1A1? What map is that on, is it any different than the M1A2?

Any other useful tid-bits you can suggest also, feel free to fire away!

(Signature by Priby)
Last edited by Heskey; 2015-06-15 at 03:26..
Old 2015-06-15, 02:17   #2
Firepower01

Default Re: Questions re tanks for guide

Every AA vehicle vehicle in PR is double crewed IIRC. You can hop into the gunner seat without a driver without it killing you but you still have to wait for the weapon to warm up.

I would consider the AMX-10 to be a recon vehicle but I'm sure some will disagree with me. I think we can all agree that it's pretty fucking cool though.

There are certain weapons that have been banned that countries still use. Cluster bombs have been prohibited but not every country has signed the document banning them, so they are still used.

White phosphorus in military application is typically used as smoke rounds (although if any of the WP gets on you you're going to notice it. It can burn right through you.). I imagine the application of WP in PR is for smoke as well but I'm not 100% sure.
Firepower01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 04:31   #3
communistman

Well, If you want to be super discerning you are missing the US Marines M1A1 FEP Abrams. In the game I think they're exactly the same as US Army Abrams as far as weapons and optics, though I'm not sure if the behind-the-scenes armor values are different.
communistman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 04:44   #4
Heskey

Can now confirm that WP is ranged smoke only and does 0 damage to infantry, even on direct impact. It is not IR blocking.

(Signature by Priby)
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 04:52   #5
Jacksonez__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heskey View Post
Can now confirm that WP is ranged smoke only and does 0 damage to infantry, even on direct impact. It is not IR blocking.
well that is definitely super useful then. Devs should fix it to be IR blocking and cause damage to infantry.

Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 11:39   #6
Heskey

It can be useful for blinding an enemy firing position that's suppressing your infantry as they advance, but I can't think for what else.

(Signature by Priby)
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 11:41   #7
StevePl4y5

The AMX-10RC is definitely a light recon vehicle, it's not a tank because it doesn't have tracks, and it's not an IFV because it doesn't carry infantry. I've never actually used it, but from what I've heard it's very fast, and has crappy armor, but a very good gun (105mm, same as the M1A1 Abrams), plus it's amphibious, all this makes it perfect for advanced recon tasks. I'd think of it, role wise, as a high tier light tank in WoT, mostly used for recon work, constantly on the move or hiding in a bush, spotting targets for the team, but also capable of going behind enemy lines and make massive damage with its 105mm, and getting out quickly. Hit and run tactics basically.

Also, I believe you were refering to the FV101 Scorpion, and not the FV107 Scimitar. The Scorpion is the one used by MEC, with the 76mm low velocity gun, which by the way, just as a side note, does not fire AP rounds in real life, only HESH and HE. The Scimitar is the one with the 30mm auto cannon.

So basically yes, the AMX-10 RC is like the FV107 Scorpion, but better. It's faster and more maneuverable, it's got a better gun, and it's amphibious.
StevePl4y5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 11:46   #8
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by communistman View Post
Well, If you want to be super discerning you are missing the US Marines M1A1 FEP Abrams. In the game I think they're exactly the same as US Army Abrams as far as weapons and optics, though I'm not sure if the behind-the-scenes armor values are different.
USMC M1A1 has no thermals for driver, does M1A2 have thermals for driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonez__ View Post
well that is definitely super useful then. Devs should fix it to be IR blocking and cause damage to infantry.

It is super useful; shoot one at infantry and/or vehicles that have no FLIR and they will have to run through smoke to see/hit you.
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 12:32   #9
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

The type 98 tank is still on wanda shan, it's there just for variations sake i believe.

The USMC have the m1a1 and the army have the m1a2. The main difference is that the m1a2 has improved fire control systems. This translates in-game to pretty much one has thermals for the driver, the other doesn't. I also think the m1a2 also has another zoom level although i can't be sure. In one of the test versions of 1.3 this was further shown by giving the m1a2 like 10+ zoom levels but everyone agreed it was getting a bit ridiculous having to spam the zoom button so many times just to get back to 1x zoom again.

There's also an m1a2 tusk but it's not being used in any maps atm.

Lastly one thing that's new about the Merkava in 1.3 is that the gunner can now laze vehicles and lock onto it (as well as other lazes) with his lahat atgm if he so chooses, effectively making it a fire and forget weapon.

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 14:20   #10
BigBang

Send a message via ICQ to BigBang

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[R-CON
Lastly one thing that's new about the Merkava in 1.3 is that the gunner can now laze vehicles and lock onto it (as well as other lazes) with his lahat atgm if he so chooses, effectively making it a fire and forget weapon.
Good point I was thinking few days back tomething like wait a sec Merkava has LT and LG??? What? Now it's clear to me

BigBang is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, questions, tanks