project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Aug 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
UK-frontline-force
Post Sniper Physics

Recently got back into PR, really enjoying it and have been trying out the sniper rifles and various other weapons and been testing the recoil. Now i have read up about the snipers on a PR guide and noticed it mentions that the stance does not affect the accuracy on a sniper rifle? So correct me if I'm wrong, what they are saying basically is that no matter if you are prone etc., the accuracy is not affected when firing a sniper rifle regardless of range? IF this is the case, then surely that is unrealistic.. Or is it just a limitation on the BF2 engine?

However, as you would expect, i have noticed that at around 150 metres for example, i have to be laying down to be able to achieve a good hit, usually taking the 7/8 second rule into account whereas standing up does not achieve a hit on the enemy soldier. Could someone shed some light on this situation? Thanks guys.
UK-frontline-force is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
J.F.Leusch69
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Sniper Physics

the sniper rifle and all depolyed weapons do have the same deviation/accuracy on all stances, this was added to reflect the ability to mount/place the weapon on different obsticales like windowframes, sandbag walls etc.
J.F.Leusch69 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
hobbnob

The logic is that you'd be stupid to do this in open ground with no cover in front of you, but if you're standing behind a wall then your rifle would be 'rested' against it

hobbnob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Wing Walker

There are ways to hold your rifle, IRL, that will steady your aim as much as any other position you take where your rifle is supported by your body.

Though the key is to have the ability and knowledge of when and how to pull the trigger with the movement of your sights, and your body, rather than hold a dead steady aim.

With experience everything in your sighting system out to your target will naturally align quickly, but your muscles won't hold its steadiness long.

With muscle fatigue, it would be more realistic to have a "snap" view aiming be very accurate at first, then 2 seconds later deteriorate. This would be especially true of a heavy rifle like an M40, or any other. In contrast, you could hold an M4 up to your eye all day.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
UK-frontline-force

Ok i understand what you mean, i was just curious as to what the whole deal was with the deviation on the sniper rifles seeing as it seemed a bit unrealistic, however it has perfectly good reasoning behind it. Cheers for replies guys.
UK-frontline-force is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Sharps View Post
There are ways to hold your rifle, IRL, that will steady your aim as much as any other position you take where your rifle is supported by your body.
Sorry to say this, but having shot competitive rifles for 8 years i call bullshit, no stance can equal the prone stance in shear stability. However there are ways to hold the rifle and standing stances that reduce the instability indeed. Although these are never as good as the lying or kneeling stance.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto: "Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac"
[R-CON]Pantera : "maybe you might learn that we are not super intelligent beings chained in UKF's basement being forced to work on this".
motherdear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
cyberzomby

With the question answered can I ask another?

If so:
What weapons have bullet drop if any? I know the launchers have. But do normal rifles and sniper rifles also have bullet drop? Been playing for some years but almost never play sniper. So the off time I get my hands on one I'm not sure if I need to compensate. Or if I need to do it with my assault rifles :P

EDIT:
I know this sounds stupid coming from an "experienced" (quoted for lulz since I dont even know if theres bullet drop, so I'm no experienced player) player but I just never got a clear answer. Some people said they did some others didnt.
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Doc.Pock

m4 like weapons: after 200m
snipers/dmr: 800/600m i thnk
pistols pretty fast if they even do damage after time
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
sparks50
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberzomby View Post
But do normal rifles and sniper rifles also have bullet drop?
Nope, none that I have noticed.
Last edited by sparks50; 06-20-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Doc.Pock

they have drop
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
physics, sniper