project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
11 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2019-02-14, 05:52   #1
nathan.moore7
Default Tweaking Suppression Effects

Does anyone know how to change suppression effects?

I really like the realism that suppression is attempting to create, but I think it is implemented incorrectly. I think the suppression effects should be more proportional to the amount of fire you are taking. A single bullet should not cause the same affects as a burst from a 50 cal or a grenade round. I would like to try and scale the effects so that my aim is not thrown off by a single round landing close every three seconds.

Also, because suppression does not affect bots in coop, I would like the ability to turn off or severely limit suppression rather than trying to tweak it. Thanks in advance!

Note: Yes, I understand that modded files cannot be used in an official MP servor. This would be for my own amusement.
nathan.moore7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-17, 16:37   #2
J.Jensen
Default Re: Tweaking Suppression Effects

finally a present day thread about the suppression. So for clearity. I play mostly offline and so as others have mentioned the suppression in coop is brutal and totally kills the gameplay. Online however i do believe it helps make the gameplay more realistic because every one has the same handicap.
The problem is i only play offline due to time shortage etc. And offline is a bitch and the supression needs to be fixed or i would ask for the instructions to edit the suppression.

In short summation of the arguments i'd like to mention: (Offline reasoning)

* supression time:
The overall concept is good of the blurred vision but it is to much. When a nearby bullet triggers the supression, you're blind for a couple of seconds. It can't be that a single bullet every couple of seconds can suppress a trained combat soldier.

*complete vision blurred:
The fact that you're complete vision is blurred is also very annoying! I am a ex-combatsoldier and i can tell you that when you get into contact and bullets start flying past, you get hyped up and you mind starts working overdrive. Not to say that you get upped motor skills and more focussed (although there are guys who do) but one thing all have in commen who don't shut down on the spot. Tunnelvision! Which every soldier learns to deal with during training by learning drills an techniques that are designed to battle against or help you snap out of the tunnel and not only you but to help you help your fellow soldier to get out of his tunnel.
Anyway i really like the suppression aspect of the game "squad" where, when shot at, your screen forms a tunnel and the more you get shot at the smaller the tunnel gets. (and of course your aim goes off etc)

*CQB is almost impossile (online and offline)
The current suppression HUD makes fighting in houses, etc impossible. When you enter a room and a shot is fired, by you, the enemy or your teammate you go blind as if a flashbang went off. This is such a dissapointment cause i love MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain) in real life and in game and project reality has as one of the few the potential to pretty realisticly train/play CQB gun fights. Only the suppression effect makes it impossible.



I play PR to live out my fantasy through the game for an hour or two and i love this game and what the PR-crew has accomplished. It's just that suppression that kills my fantasy of the things i most liked doing. So most of the time i just drive the bf2 tanks, ifv's and apc's to transport and support the bots or fly helicopters to transport them just to play a realistic role in the game.

I really really really hope you would consider helping us to edit/remove the suppression for the offline play. So i can you the mitst of the battle on the map without looking/being the guy who lost his glasses in the middel of the fight..

To escape reality for a moment an enter the fantasy of realistic warfare. (eventhough my teammates are just bots, but i can forgive them haha because they're just bots xp)
J.Jensen is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-28, 18:47   #3
J.Jensen
Default Re: Tweaking Suppression Effects

i timed it now where one shot hits the wall i'm using as cover and it takes 5 full seconds for the blur to go away..

i hope for some kind of response by now :'(
J.Jensen is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-01, 09:17   #4
Arab
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Arab's Avatar
Default Re: Tweaking Suppression Effects

Hi, welcome to the forums

Completely agree with you, and glad you are enjoying playing.

So with the current supression system, when you shoot at your feet, wall - it will supress you which obviously is a bug on our part.
That part has been fixed for v1.6.

For bots in SP, they can be annoying as they suppress you like crazy, even behind bushes (not realistic) since they work basically on the vision of projectiles - e.g. If you see them, they will see you. Recently have introduced some working smoke grenades to block their vision which is more realistic and allow fights to be broken up like in MP:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/blog.php?b=462

So to do some modding, just make a copy of the pr folder and rename that to pr_edit so there's no way the original files will get modified (and having to reinstall to play online).

We can have different supression effects for bigger caliber weapons which is defined by the codes in the DefaultDetonationComponent.

For example:
Code:
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultDetonationComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultDetonationComp
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionMaterial 3001
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionRadius 3 <--- I think how long to display the effect for in seconds?
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionForce 0
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionDamage 0
ObjectTemplate.detonation.detectionRadius 1 <--- The detected radius of the bullets in which to display the effect around the player.
ObjectTemplate.detonation.maxDepthForExplosion 2 
ObjectTemplate.detonation.detonateOnWaterCollision 0
The supression system is basically in projectiles_common.tweak and uses the Bullet Shockwave material (3001) found in common_server.zip/material in materialManagerDefine.con and materialManagerSettings.con to create the effect.

If you like to turn off the supression, you can add a rem to ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultDetonationComp

Code:
rem ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultDetonationComp
Each material that is assigned to another material can be tweaked via MaterialManager.damageMod.

Maybe reducing these values for every bullet type can impact on the likeliness of the effect playing.

For what Squad does, I don't think it's possible to make it narrow the more you get shot, but to affect accuracy I might have an idea on how to do, maybe via Wind component, ForceObject.

There are definitely room for improvements since this pretty much hasn't changed for a while, same with the blood screen which irl would look more like a blur.

Visually, you could add ObjectTemplate.detonation.endEffectTemplate [effect] to trigger a specific effect and you can look at trigger angle etc found in the code list. Just search for detonation:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=109751



Check out my music @ RaffiGee, available in Google Music, iTunes Music, Spotify, Amazon Music and more - via DistroKid:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyr...GYTM-WO5EmKp9A
Arab is offline
Last edited by Arab; 2019-03-01 at 09:49..
Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-01, 12:36   #5
[R-CON]​Fastjack
PR:BF2 Contributor

Fastjack's Avatar
Default Re: Tweaking Suppression Effects

No worries dear SP/coop community, there is light at the end of tunnel.

atm. the PRSP Team, isn't fully manned because of Reallife stuff.

Excample me :

The last 9 month, i'm constantly working (Job AND renovating my home). I have no time to mod or time to play any games. I believe i can start with my hobby april.

But now after years of modding and learning BF2 and SAI codding, there is much room for improvements.

First, we can create a new gamemode for ai (coop insurgency).
Test we already did on a dedi server was promissing but not satisfying because of some ai values (temperatures need an overhaul). With that we get balso ESAI working.


Micromanaged ai soldier templates(soldier ai's)
PR can have specifiec soldier classes like civi's. Nice stuff when the insurgency gamemode works. People can learn NOT SHOOTING CIVI's or getting Intel penalty etc.
With that we can also force botdrivers to use smokescreens when they SPOT an enemy AT kit and not when they GET TARGETED by an enemy AT kit. That's a big difference.

Working Smokescreens vs. Bots.
Afaik, it's done.

Dodging Bots
Last day's succesfully tested and comfirmed by the BFSP modder community (including me).
Human player can force bots to dodge weapon fire. They will not run anymore straight into it.
It is possible to add this to EVERY weapon but than it will turn PR's coop mod into an botpanic mod.
link

As i said, much room for improvements but no time atm. ....
Fastjack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-01, 13:07   #6
Arab
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Arab's Avatar
Default Re: Tweaking Suppression Effects

In addition, I'm also trying to finish up my assigned issues for the next big release while balancing a r/l, personal time and family-friends time. There's stuff that's done and in the process of completion that you all will be happy to see for v1.6

But yeah. If anyone wants features in the game, learn how to code and you could become a DEV one day



Check out my music @ RaffiGee, available in Google Music, iTunes Music, Spotify, Amazon Music and more - via DistroKid:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyr...GYTM-WO5EmKp9A
Arab is offline
Last edited by Arab; 2019-03-01 at 23:12..
Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-02, 14:08   #7
J.Jensen
Default Re: Tweaking Suppression Effects

thanks guyz! I tweaked as instructed and it works perfectly! no blindness, only from heavy explosions/calibers and still have the sound of bullets wizzing by to indicate that i need to get my head down. Bloodscreen etc still works which is fine!

Sorry if i was a little harsh but just so you know i really appreciate what you did and are doing with project reality!!! I can't wait for 1.6 !!!

any idea when it's ready? (no specific date needed)


Again thanks guyz!!! -xXx-
J.Jensen is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-02, 23:56   #8
Arab
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Arab's Avatar
Default Re: Tweaking Suppression Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Jensen View Post
thanks guyz! I tweaked as instructed and it works perfectly! no blindness, only from heavy explosions/calibers and still have the sound of bullets wizzing by to indicate that i need to get my head down. Bloodscreen etc still works which is fine!

Sorry if i was a little harsh but just so you know i really appreciate what you did and are doing with project reality!!! I can't wait for 1.6 !!!

any idea when it's ready? (no specific date needed)


Again thanks guyz!!! -xXx-
No need to apologize, all good

We appreciate the support v1.6 will be a pretty good release!

We don't have a ETA since there's no reliable way to find an accurate approximate date with r/l, difficulties of certain tasks and issues etc but only the generic soon™



Check out my music @ RaffiGee, available in Google Music, iTunes Music, Spotify, Amazon Music and more - via DistroKid:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyr...GYTM-WO5EmKp9A
Arab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 12:31   #9
iamanoob
Default Re: Tweaking Suppression Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab View Post
Hi, welcome to the forums

Completely agree with you, and glad you are enjoying playing.

So with the current supression system, when you shoot at your feet, wall - it will supress you which obviously is a bug on our part.
That part has been fixed for v1.6.

For bots in SP, they can be annoying as they suppress you like crazy, even behind bushes (not realistic) since they work basically on the vision of projectiles - e.g. If you see them, they will see you. Recently have introduced some working smoke grenades to block their vision which is more realistic and allow fights to be broken up like in MP:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/blog.php?b=462

So to do some modding, just make a copy of the pr folder and rename that to pr_edit so there's no way the original files will get modified (and having to reinstall to play online).

We can have different supression effects for bigger caliber weapons which is defined by the codes in the DefaultDetonationComponent.

For example:
Code:
rem ---BeginComp:DefaultDetonationComp ---
ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultDetonationComp
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionMaterial 3001
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionRadius 3 <--- I think how long to display the effect for in seconds?
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionForce 0
ObjectTemplate.detonation.explosionDamage 0
ObjectTemplate.detonation.detectionRadius 1 <--- The detected radius of the bullets in which to display the effect around the player.
ObjectTemplate.detonation.maxDepthForExplosion 2 
ObjectTemplate.detonation.detonateOnWaterCollision 0
The supression system is basically in projectiles_common.tweak and uses the Bullet Shockwave material (3001) found in common_server.zip/material in materialManagerDefine.con and materialManagerSettings.con to create the effect.

If you like to turn off the supression, you can add a rem to ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultDetonationComp

Code:
rem ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultDetonationComp
Each material that is assigned to another material can be tweaked via MaterialManager.damageMod.

Maybe reducing these values for every bullet type can impact on the likeliness of the effect playing.

For what Squad does, I don't think it's possible to make it narrow the more you get shot, but to affect accuracy I might have an idea on how to do, maybe via Wind component, ForceObject.

There are definitely room for improvements since this pretty much hasn't changed for a while, same with the blood screen which irl would look more like a blur.

Visually, you could add ObjectTemplate.detonation.endEffectTemplate [effect] to trigger a specific effect and you can look at trigger angle etc found in the code list. Just search for detonation:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=109751
Sorry to bother you,i am not sure which file i should edit in order to disable the suppression effect
iamanoob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 12:45   #10
Arab
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Arab's Avatar
Default Re: Tweaking Suppression Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanoob View Post
Sorry to bother you,i am not sure which file i should edit in order to disable the suppression effect
Code:
objects\weapons\common\projectiles\projectiles_common.tweak
To turn off supression, add a rem before ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultDetonationComp



Check out my music @ RaffiGee, available in Google Music, iTunes Music, Spotify, Amazon Music and more - via DistroKid:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyr...GYTM-WO5EmKp9A
Arab is offline
Last edited by Arab; 2019-11-26 at 01:13..
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
effects, suppression, tweaking
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:21.