project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.87 Feedback Forum
18 Nov 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2010-01-15, 06:47   #1
Mutherpucker
Default When a not bad feature becomes an annoyance

Ok,

Here a post I cared to do, in the middle of my evening PR fun. We were on a map, cool map new server for us, my buddies and I, making even a new friend on the server that could understand our native language so we could burst out some expressions of our hometown and be understood! Nice fun was going on and it was all great...

at the last quarter of the map, a map we had fight for what, 30 minutes, seemed pretty fair since we were loosing!!! Then boom, I get switch! Autobalance on....

Then ok, here I am, on the other team, having a pretty good idea were my buddies were, on the other team, making team, my first target, obviously, my Teamspeak buddies asking me wth happened, my yelling at the game, the other team members asking themself why I left and why my squad leader ain't moving anymore, the squad leader being one my teamspeak buddy and, frankly, he lost his closest soldier, so now, it kinda sucks, the rest of the squad eventually left, joining, another squad in the hope of seeing, maybe, 1 last battle were they are aware of the situation like they were 2 minutes ago..

Map's done for you guys, thank you very much!

And when I tought it was enought, while writing this very post, my former squad leader get auto switch... the battle was over! It was the last push! It was like ... look, you know how stupid that feature is? And for all I know, I don't remember ONCE, I tought, hey, server unbalanced, fight uneven. The only time I tought, it's not fair, well the team was perfectly balanced in number, but a clan was wreaking the hell out of us! Not by number, but by coordination, skills, (Those HOG...)

If only it would switch an entire squad, but even then, it wouldn't be good if let see, it was an asset squad, it brake the game, the FUN of an entire group of person for the sake of balancing??
No! it's plainly stupid!

I know that feature is a server feature, that server admin have the control but that's my point, how bout we drop that feature, once and for all.

That was my 2 cents

Thank you , have a great day and remember, Pigs do not fly!
Old 2010-01-18, 23:18   #2
Serbiak

Default Re: When a not bad feature becomes an annoyance

I had that so many times as well. And Yes it most of the times kills the game for you.

Imo it makes sence to have the teambalance if there are few player on the server. As far as I know it is done like that as well in a few cases.

I always thought it would really be the best to primarely switch the unassigned players or in squads with less then 2 players.

But how it works is when the teams are unbalaced the first one that dies gets switched.

Sucks when done like that I agree. But I would not completly remove it because of low populated servers.

"Remember, your penis size is proportional to your post count...or was it inversely proportional...I can't remember"
- [R-CON]Rudd -
Old 2010-01-18, 23:50   #3
Gunner4712

Send a message via Skype™ to Gunner4712

I've also had that happen before. Sometimes its nice to have obviously to keep the balance. However, I know how frustrating it is to have that happen. I'm not too savvy when it comes to most technical things, but if autobalance could be edited(?) to only switch unassigned players. Serbiak, it would make sense that they would be the first selection for autobalance already.

Old 2010-01-19, 06:52   #4
Shaihuluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutherpucker View Post
Ok,

Here a post I cared to do, in the middle of my evening PR fun. We were on a map, cool map new server for us, my buddies and I, making even a new friend on the server that could understand our native language so we could burst out some expressions of our hometown and be understood! Nice fun was going on and it was all great...

at the last quarter of the map, a map we had fight for what, 30 minutes, seemed pretty fair since we were loosing!!! Then boom, I get switch! Autobalance on....

Then ok, here I am, on the other team, having a pretty good idea were my buddies were, on the other team, making team, my first target, obviously, my Teamspeak buddies asking me wth happened, my yelling at the game, the other team members asking themself why I left and why my squad leader ain't moving anymore, the squad leader being one my teamspeak buddy and, frankly, he lost his closest soldier, so now, it kinda sucks, the rest of the squad eventually left, joining, another squad in the hope of seeing, maybe, 1 last battle were they are aware of the situation like they were 2 minutes ago..

Map's done for you guys, thank you very much!

And when I tought it was enought, while writing this very post, my former squad leader get auto switch... the battle was over! It was the last push! It was like ... look, you know how stupid that feature is? And for all I know, I don't remember ONCE, I tought, hey, server unbalanced, fight uneven. The only time I tought, it's not fair, well the team was perfectly balanced in number, but a clan was wreaking the hell out of us! Not by number, but by coordination, skills, (Those HOG...)

If only it would switch an entire squad, but even then, it wouldn't be good if let see, it was an asset squad, it brake the game, the FUN of an entire group of person for the sake of balancing??
No! it's plainly stupid!

I know that feature is a server feature, that server admin have the control but that's my point, how bout we drop that feature, once and for all.

That was my 2 cents

Thank you , have a great day and remember, Pigs do not fly!
For the record, Autoswitch on Insurgency is not just irritating, it's tactically dangerous. FB's, spawns, and cache locations are gonna be leaked by some idiot who wants the round to end

Edit: I've seen this happen on more than one occasion...
Old 2010-01-19, 10:16   #5
wookimonsta
Supporting Member

I liked the way it was done in 2142, here, first people who weren't in a squad were switched. only if there was no one not in a squad (dead or alive), were the people in the squads switched, and I think you could even set it so it didn't switch them at all.
So if a guy in a squad died, but there was a guy without a squad who was still alive, the system would wait for him to die and then switch him.

I hate it when a squadleader gets switched, this is annoying as hell, if they can implement that people in squads don't get switched, itll be more fun.

HOWEVER, being switched when you permanently die has one major plus. People don't give up, I remember one round on UKWF i think, where it was 32 vs 28, it stayed that way for ages because NOBODY gave up. We won that round far better than the 4 player difference would've allowed, because we simply didn't loose any tickets.
Old 2010-01-19, 11:49   #6
Serbiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookimonsta View Post
I liked the way it was done in 2142, here, first people who weren't in a squad were switched. only if there was no one not in a squad (dead or alive), were the people in the squads switched, and I think you could even set it so it didn't switch them at all.
So if a guy in a squad died, but there was a guy without a squad who was still alive, the system would wait for him to die and then switch him.
That´s just how it is supposed to be. 2142 is still the Bf2 engine right? So it should be possible to edit it.

"Remember, your penis size is proportional to your post count...or was it inversely proportional...I can't remember"
- [R-CON]Rudd -
Old 2010-01-19, 15:02   #7
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I don't think it's the same engine VBF/BF2142
Old 2010-01-22, 22:46   #8
Mutherpucker

even that "this feature can be good when..." argument is weak...

Tell me, in your own experience, have you ever said "jeez thanks god this autobalance is there!"

or "jeez we are outnumbered! "

simply put, no
Old 2010-01-22, 22:57   #9
Rissien
Supporting Member

Thats why at least our server uses Smart Balance. Any clans that regularly play on our server t request their tags to be added to the list and they can freely change sides to play on the same team as their clanmates.

MA3-USN Former

クラナド ァフターストーリー
Old 2010-01-29, 18:50   #10
smiley

Oh for gods sake use your brains. Unless you are dead outright and cannot be revived look at the teams and see if they are balanced before you give up. If you give up when they are unbalanced then bam autoswitch. If the sides are even then it's no problem.

Tags
annoyance, bad, feature