project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
11 Dec 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2016-01-10, 02:01   #1
SkyEmperor
Default [?] What do you need to create objects for PR?

Hello!

I've talked to some friends and we were thinking about helping on the WW2 mod.
Means we should be able to create weapons,uniforms,vehicles,maps and make sure that everything work

However we don't really know which softwares we need.

I've heard about 3ds Max 9 but I can't find a download link. Do we need something else. It's not an easy task but really enjoyed the minimod and we really want to help, we have some good ideas and we about to make a plan.

Thanks you.
SkyEmperor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 07:21   #2
[R-DEV]​CTRifle
PR:BF2 Developer

Send a message via MSN to CTRifle Send a message via Skype™ to CTRifle
Default Re: [?] What do you need to create objects for PR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyEmperor View Post
Hello!

I've talked to some friends and we were thinking about helping on the WW2 mod.
Means we should be able to create weapons,uniforms,vehicles,maps and make sure that everything work

However we don't really know which softwares we need.

I've heard about 3ds Max 9 but I can't find a download link. Do we need something else. It's not an easy task but really enjoyed the minimod and we really want to help, we have some good ideas and we about to make a plan.

Thanks you.
always glad to help anyone wanting to contribute!

So for programs youll need
models = max9 NOT 2009 plus exporting scripts that we have on the forums
textures = Photoshop is the best, gimp maybe, wouldnt recommend it though
maps = BF2 editor and files to set it up.

For tasks, take alook at the community tasks here http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f605...ity-tasks.html and also the related tutorials in the modding section to set up pr_edit

Please talk to RCOM Arcshielder before you start anything as he can give you tasks and feedback on what we need for it
Project Reality Forums - View Profile: [R-COM]Arc_Shielder

CTRifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 13:38   #3
SkyEmperor

Ok thanks you very much!

Is there any free sotfware which work the same as 3DS Max 9? It looks like it's not free.

Also, what do we need for the coding part? I have someone who wants to take care of this.
Old 2016-01-10, 16:27   #4
[R-DEV]​CTRifle

Send a message via MSN to CTRifle Send a message via Skype™ to CTRifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyEmperor View Post
Ok thanks you very much!

Is there any free sotfware which work the same as 3DS Max 9? It looks like it's not free.

Also, what do we need for the coding part? I have someone who wants to take care of this.
No you need max9 to use the export scripts , any other and it can cause errors in the models. and for coding, I dont know much, I think notepad ++ but not 100% sure on that.

CTRifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 17:35   #5
SkyEmperor

Do you have a link where I can download it? I've been searching google but all I found are Service packs...
Old 2016-01-10, 18:56   #6
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

It is possible to model with Blender, which is a free alternative to 3DsMax, but still requires the model to be ported to 3DsMax9 for it to be exported into the game and that porting process can create errors that need to be fixed up once its in 3DsMax9, but generally its not too bad. Worst bit is you have to rely on someone else to export your models.

Coding is also done with any Text Editing software really, Notepad++ is what most of us use.

Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 20:05   #7
SkyEmperor

Sounds awesome, so I just have to send my Blender models to someone who has 3ds Max 9 and then he can fixes the few errors?

Anyways, I guess it's the only way we can help for modelling.
Thanks you very much again, really looking forward to help the game growing.
Old 2016-01-11, 10:53   #8
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

sent you a pm

Ason is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-24, 09:01   #9
[R-DEV]​ddeo
Polish Faction Lead

If You want to start learning modelling especially for PR/ww2 as Blender user I am against using Blender. I do use Blender for modelling PR models, it's because I've learned it long time ago before I started working on PR and 3dsMax is mystery for me. If You don't know both softwares, better start using 3dsMax 9 if You can get it from somewhere.

There are few problems regarding using Blender instead of 3dsMax 9. As Rhino mentioned, model needs to be ported to 3dsMax.
-porting from Blender to 3dsMax 9 needs proper export settings, otherwise model will be messed up, it is actually easy part, but can cause problems if You can't preview model after exporting it. If You can't get 3dsMax 9 or You still want to use Blender, You can get 3dsMax 2014+ from autodesk students site, models made in newer 3dsMax still need to be ported to Max9, but You can use newer max to preview exported models from Blender. I remember I've posted on the forums proper export settings for Blender, but I couldn't find the post now.
-while having clean model and using proper export settings, still something might go wrong, model can be stretched, have flipped faces/UVs like here: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...ender-max.html
-You need to take bigger care for model, fix all the geometry issues (preferably do not use polygons with more than 4 verticies, and use quads only at proper places), make sure model is flipped at the correct side and make sure all the modifiers are correctly applied to model. But this is actually a good thing, because correctly made model will be less painful for exporter and look better in game.
-reediting model can be hell: While exporting model from Blender to 3dsMax might sounds like hell, it isn't if You do everything correctly. Problems starts when You need to re-edit 3dsmax model in Blender. It is hell. Depends on complexity of the model, You can loose many hours just to import model properly into Blender.
ddeo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-24, 13:56   #10
SkyEmperor

Thanks you, but I got 3dsmax9 now

Tags
create, objects