project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
26 Jun 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Old 2016-05-21, 10:36   #21
Aviator

Default Re: New US destroyer ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
They were trying to buy two helicopter carriers from France recently, but sale was cancelled after Crimea.

Still tiny compared to US Wasp or America class.

This helicopter ships was sold to Egypt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypti...l_Abdel_Nasser
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypti...Anwar_El_Sadat

Aviator is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-21, 12:12   #22
[R-DEV]​Nosferatu
PR:BF2 Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Nosferatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF View Post
I was wondering something. Does Russia is developing new battleships? Current Russian Navy fleet as old( Some ships have good firepower, but old. Like Project 1164 and Project 1144). US Navy have a modern ships( Like Ticonderoga and Arleigh Burke) and developing a more modern ships.(Gerald R. Ford, Zumwalt and Independence) What Russia is doing against it?
Sorry, I'm not really following news about navy.

"In addition to his other Asiatic characteristics, the Russian have no regard for human life and is an all out son of bitch, barbarian, and chronic drunk" - General Patton : A Soldier's Life

If violence isn't the answer, then you obviously need more violence.
Nosferatu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-21, 15:00   #23
Raphavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF View Post
Yes, however Russia will very likely use the knowledge gained by the technological transfer in order to build a similar ship by themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future...e_Russian_Navy
Raphavenger is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-22, 16:38   #24
Panzerfire

Send a message via MSN to Panzerfire

They do seem keen on building an aircraft carrier as big as the Nimitz/Gerald Ford class carriers:
Russia claims it's in the early stages of developing an aircraft carrier that can hold 100 planes | Business Insider
TASS: Russia - Russia developing $5 bln aircraft carrier with no world analogs ? fleet commander
Model of the tentative design:

Found this about an upcoming new destroyer of the Russian Navy, the Leader class:
http://sputniknews.com/russia/201512...ssia-navy.html

At 10.000 tonnes it's still half as small than a Kirov class Battlecruiser.

USMCMIDN: KILL EVERYTHING!
gx: KILL! KILL! KILL 'EM ALL!!
[R-DEV]Dunehunter: Great attitude for hearts and minds
Last edited by Panzerfire; 2016-05-22 at 16:49..
Old 2016-05-22, 22:04   #25
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

"One of their biggest initial problems is that Russia doesn't have any history in building aircraft carriers because the carriers the Soviet Union built were all built in Ukraine,"

The Soviets tried once before. In 1986, motived by national prestige, Moscow shirked its own naval doctrine and began construction on a supercarrier of its own. Displacing nearly 70,000 tons of water, the Ulyanovsk was laid down at the Nikolayev 444 shipyard on the Black Sea, just as every Soviet carrier before it. The Admiral Kuznetsov displaces 43,000 tons of water. U.S. Nimitz class carriers displace 97,000 tons. But the collapse of communism torpedoed the project in 1992, and Nikolayev 444, with its vast experience in carrier building, found itself in independent Ukraine.

The second project Russia hoped to use to develop carrier building techniques was the modernization of an older Soviet carrier, the Admiral Gorshkov, for the Indian navy in 2004. The Gorshkov was mothballed in the mid-1990s after a boiler room explosion crippled her. In 2004 India negotiated with Russia to receive the ship free of charge, with the stipulation it pay almost $1 billion to Russia's Sevmash to overhaul and modernize it.
Sevmash finished the project in 2013 and the cost of the refurbishment swelled to almost $3 billion

Source

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-13, 22:53   #26
Raklodder
Supporting Member

A new beast ready to conquer the atlantic.
Raklodder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-13, 23:05   #27
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

I find it strange that Russia is (possibly; as we really can't trust media in the shitstorm that is nowadays) really considering a supercarrier. As noted - their navy is all about territorial water control (Russia has the 2nd biggest borders after China If I'm correct), and they have to cover a huuuuge territory with those ships.

If I got the doctrine right, carriers are all about assaults and deployment somewhere far away from the users nations own borders. So I guess (if the media is correct) Russia is looking forward to a military deployment somewhere far away from its borders (guess towards North America). But then again - if their navy is all about coastal waters then who will defend such a vulnerable and costly piece of equipment?
Mouthpiece is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-13, 23:37   #28
Gerfand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouthpiece View Post
I find it strange that Russia is (possibly; as we really can't trust media in the shitstorm that is nowadays) really considering a supercarrier. As noted - their navy is all about territorial water control (Russia has the 2nd biggest borders after China If I'm correct), and they have to cover a huuuuge territory with those ships.

If I got the doctrine right, carriers are all about assaults and deployment somewhere far away from the users nations own borders. So I guess (if the media is correct) Russia is looking forward to a military deployment somewhere far away from its borders (guess towards North America). But then again - if their navy is all about coastal waters then who will defend such a vulnerable and costly piece of equipment?
Well Russian Navy is already a Blue Waters Navy, and a Aircraft Carrier is more a part of the recent rearmament from russia(which is expected, as their army is w/ aging equipment)
But w/ a change of doctrine from a BattleCruiser/Carrier, to a dedicated Carrier, compromising the gun power, to a bigger Air fleet, so if they make a dedicated carrier, you can expect the Kuznetsov being retired.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-w...Classification
Gerfand is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 05:00   #29
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

Yeah, actually after I wrote the comment only after that I did some research and read that Russia has been modernizing their fleet, and by 2020 they will have ~ 30 new ships and 20 new subs (or more). I guess it's only normal for such a big country that has so many potential enemies (I'm concentrating on the idea of "modernization" as I don't want to surf the paranoia wave (as our capital city is like 500 km from the border of Russia, and shit is slowly brewing in the Eastern Europe with NATO trying to relocate a couple of battalions in The Baltics and Poland).
Mouthpiece is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-23, 07:30   #30
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Most expensive destroyer in Navy history breaks down

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
destroyer, ready, us destroyer