project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
05 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Old 2012-06-18, 00:16   #11
ShockUnitBlack

Default Re: Foxhound (Land Rover replacement) arrives in Afghanistan

Meh, I'm pretty sure you could get the Foxhound or some other vehicle to do both roles without much hassle if you so wanted.

By any means, they are very similar vehicles.
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 02:31   #12
mangeface
Supporting Member

It does look like an MRAP. Which means it looks sexual.

All honesty, this vehicle looks amazing. I hope it maintains a great record in Afghanistan and protects a lot of lives.
mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 02:45   #13
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

It does look pretty good, and if anyone asks about RWS I already have a link with a convincing argument as to why not... Anyway, here's a video of it doing some testing and training (including those two GPMGs).

Unfortunately a squaddy has mastered filming in 720p HD under fire while the MoD are still in the 360p era.

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 05:33   #14
dtacs
Supporting Member

Link it, I'm curious as RWS' seem to be the way to go.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 05:38   #15
Xavo|xXx

Circlework, an integral part of combat testing.

But that thing looks like a beast! - With crap all forward visibility with that big hook and those IED jammers.

It goes Halle Berry or Hallelujah | Pick your poison tell me what you do | Every body gon' respect the shooter | But the one in front of the gun lives forever
Xavo|xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 08:23   #16
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

At first I really didn't like the look of it, other than its V armour on the bottom, but after seeing it driving around in that vid it sorta won me over a bit

Still not sure what to think of its dual GPMG setup, really need to see what its arks are like. Interesting concept that you have two gunners looking either side thou, that will really help in urban combat. Would also like to see that link on the RWS stuff eddie, as ye, kinda seems odd to put this much protection around the crew, then having them stick there heads out to get shot when they could be in the safety of there vehicle, using the weapons
I'm guessing cost, reliability and awareness are probably the biggest negatives from a RWS thou.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 09:11   #17
ShockUnitBlack

Are there any RWSs you can use manually also? EG open the hatch and pull the trigger the old-fashioned way if the system fails?
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 10:27   #18
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Foxhound – Wot No RWS | Think Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Defence
The simple truth is that for the LPPV role, the situational awareness and ability to connect with the local population afforded by top cover standing up is better than being buttoned up.

It is not a weapons platform in the WMIK role but designed to provide protection whilst on patrol, a subtle but important distinction.

This might be hard for some to understand or appreciate but maybe the MoD and the users of this vehicle are right.
That's the essence of it right there IMO. If you scroll down the link further you'll see a CGI of the WMIK version and a real life picture of a flatbed version.

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 10:33   #19
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I'm not sure it's a land rover replacement, maybe a snatch land rover
GBP1,000,000 v GBP20,000

We'll still need cheap and plentiful land rover type vehicles especially if we find ourselves ever in a conventional war.
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 10:50   #20
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

WIMIK version looks dumb. Jackal is far better for that job IMO and already in service...

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
afghanistan, arrives, foxhound, land, replacement, rover