project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
14 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2012-04-14, 15:33   #41
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Will it even be fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
Hell, I was talking about just using the main gun. I think that would work a lot better and the drop isn't significant enough.It's pretty easy to aim with the existing reticle and get 75% accuracy (at 2km). Enough to take out a tank or group of infantry in about 100 rounds without getting too close for AA lock on.
You might want to save the cannon for the jets since your likley to get pretty up close and personal with the enemy jets

Quote:
Is the Harrier's (GR3) cannon going to be the GAU-12 or the ADEN? Either way I don't think it matters.
The ADEN cannon is what the brits used back then.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 19:20   #42
PricelineNegotiator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
You might want to save the cannon for the jets since your likley to get pretty up close and personal with the enemy jets
Are you implying that air-to-air missiles will not be in the mini-mod? I thought some Argentian jets were taken out by AIM-9s.

Quote:
The ADEN cannon is what the brits used back then.
I was aware that these were used on the GR3, but wasn't sure if you were going to leave the GAU-12 on the Harrier. The ADEN is a 4-barrel revolver cannon mounted under the fuselage, right? That'll be different to use.
PricelineNegotiator is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 19:34   #43
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Are you implying that air-to-air missiles will not be in the mini-mod? I thought some Argentian jets were taken out by AIM-9s.
Na, will be AA missiles, but only short ranged ones (and somewhat limited) and if your enemy is popping flares constantly, guns might be your best bet

Quote:
I was aware that these were used on the GR3, but wasn't sure if you were going to leave the GAU-12 on the Harrier. The ADEN is a 4-barrel revolver cannon mounted under the fuselage, right? That'll be different to use.
From my understanding the "gun pod" for the GAU-12 looks basically the same as the ADEN gun pod, which has one gun in each pod.

Then again, not 100% sure but all my sources say ADEN gun pods for Sea Harrier FRS1 and Harrier GR3.

Old 2012-04-15, 00:55   #44
ytman

I think it'll be a blast on a 100+ player server.
ytman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 04:52   #45
torenico

Send a message via MSN to torenico

It'll be fun to fly a Skyhawk over the Brits

http://s905.photobucket.com/user/raziel1082/media/mareth.jpg.html[/IMG]
torenico is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 09:38   #46
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
From my understanding the "gun pod" for the GAU-12 looks basically the same as the ADEN gun pod, which has one gun in each pod.

That'd be correct. The GAU-12/U mounts similar to the ADEN. Using the picture above for a reference, in the GAU-12/U system the pod on the top (port or left side of the aircraft) is the 25MM 5-barrel rotary cannon and the pod on the bottom (starboard or right side of the aircraft) contains the ammo for it (300 rounds, precisely). The ammo is fed through a sleeve from the ammo pod to the gun pod through the belly of the aircraft.

In the USMC, our AV-8Bs rarely carry the guns during shipboard usage due to the extreme weight of the gun. If the gun is installed, the Harriers is restricted to carrying 1 500 lb bomb (it can take off with 1,500 lbs of ordnance without the gun). A couple of pictures of the USMC Harrier with and without the GAU-12/U.

AV-8B Harrier II+ without the GAU-12/U during shipboard take off.

AV-8B Harrier II with the GAU-12/U during land take off.

To be honest, I couldn't find anything other than Wikipedia that said anything about what I just put. But I've got nearly 2 years of experience around these whistling shitcans from time on deployments with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit as apart of the ACE (Air Combat Element) and talked a lot with their maintainers to see the limits of the aircraft (to be honest, just to have ammo to talk shit against them).
Last edited by mangeface; 2012-04-18 at 09:47..
Old 2012-04-18, 10:15   #47
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

I signed up for big maps with vehicles.

Screw Caw of Dooty; bigger maps = better.
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 12:14   #48
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangeface View Post
That'd be correct. The GAU-12/U mounts similar to the ADEN. Using the picture above for a reference, in the GAU-12/U system the pod on the top (port or left side of the aircraft) is the 25MM 5-barrel rotary cannon and the pod on the bottom (starboard or right side of the aircraft) contains the ammo for it (300 rounds, precisely). The ammo is fed through a sleeve from the ammo pod to the gun pod through the belly of the aircraft.
Ye, although with the British Harriers ADEN pods, both pods are cannon pods with the ADEN cannon, with 130 rounds in them each (260 total).

TBH to make the pod all I did was take the GAU-12 pod Stigger made for the AV8B, delete the side without the cannon and then mirror the cannon pod to the other side and made them one object
+ Stigger will hopefully do a quick reskin of it to get it into Sea Harrier/GR3 colours too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangeface View Post
In the USMC, our AV-8Bs rarely carry the guns during shipboard usage due to the extreme weight of the gun. If the gun is installed, the Harriers is restricted to carrying 1 500 lb bomb (it can take off with 1,500 lbs of ordnance without the gun). A couple of pictures of the USMC Harrier with and without the GAU-12/U.
Ye, which is the main reason why I think us Brits stopped using them on the later versions but during the Falklands, they where always fitted to both Sea Harriers and GR3s and many reports of them being used during the conflict on mainly Pucaras but also on Hueys etc.

Old 2012-04-18, 13:16   #49
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Silly suggestion perhaps....

Game mode type Air superiority.

Make Aircraft carrier destroyable, equip it with AA that won't get lock below 15m ASL or within a shortrange (to give Argentinians time to get a bit of height to toss bombs), if Argentina can destroy carrier its all over....or land forces have no air cover and thus would get bombed to hell.

4 Super Etendards/Mirage no AIM9 only cannon and flares
2 Sea Harriers 2 crappy AIM9 each and cannon

Or am I mad?

Could make that a fun dimension on an over 64 server whilst predominantly land forces fight it out on the islands.
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 14:05   #50
Guzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooActual View Post
*Prays for Harriers and Royal Marine Commandos, maybe even.. a vulcan!?*
Gimme my Vulcan!
Guzzo is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fun