project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
11 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2014-03-21, 11:39   #1
Beee8190
Supporting Member

Beee8190's Avatar
Default Reload animation speed

As per title I find the reload speed little on the casual side, for all assault rifles.

In the heat of battle when one runs out of ammo it seems like eternity before my gun is reloaded and ready to fire again.

I appreciate speeding up the magazine change by 1 or even 2 seconds my not seem as much to even warrant looking into but I thought it would better simulate the pressure given the scenario.
Beee8190 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 06:12   #2
fatalsushi83

fatalsushi83's Avatar
Default Re: Reload animation speed

I'm glad you brought this up. Ever since I've started playing PR I've felt that a lot of the reload animations make it look like you have all the time in the world to reload. Just doesn't seem to fit the pace of battle. The animations are really, really well done, of course, but speeding them up would emphasize that you're life depends on how quickly you reload and add to the intensity of the game.

Also, I'm not sure if anything has mentioned this, but isn't it strange that you pull the bolt back on your rifle every time you select it from your inventory, even when it's fully loaded? Does it work like this because of some kind of engine limitation?
fatalsushi83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 06:43   #3
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Rhino's Avatar
Default Re: Reload animation speed

Cheers for the feedback but we are in no position to update all our weapon animations at this point.

In the ideal world, we would have liked to really have two (or more) types of reload animation. The first being the normal reload you see now ingame which as you call it, the causal reload where all the reloading checks are done with forward assists etc to ensure the weapon doesn't jam. The other being a "rushed reload" where you skip all the checks and just get the new mag in as quickly as possible, with a small risk that the weapon might jam due to dirt in the mag, no forward assist etc or even possibly loading in a mag without any rounds in it. But the BF2 engine can't handle more than one reload animation, nor can we simulate jams etc either.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 07:42   #4
Roque_THE_GAMER

Roque_THE_GAMER's Avatar
Default Re: Reload animation speed

well, this was ready discussed long time ago but seems no devs ha interest to change this, i know you felling that's why im looking forward at the PR Arma3 and PR2 in Arma 3 the soldier in lees gay(no offense).
Roque_THE_GAMER is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 08:27   #5
Beee8190
Supporting Member

Beee8190's Avatar
Default Re: Reload animation speed

@fatalsushi83 -
Quote:
I've started playing PR I've felt that a lot of the reload animations make it look like you have all the time in the world to reload. Just doesn't seem to fit the pace of battle
Precisely the description of what I think about the animation.


Quote:
Also, I'm not sure if anything has mentioned this, but isn't it strange that you pull the bolt back on your rifle every time you select it from your inventory, even when it's fully loaded? Does it work like this because of some kind of engine limitation?
I think it simulates the safety off once you sling your weapon and pick it up again I'm not sure but since you brought this up this got me thinking about the grenade launcher thing

the GL is unloaded ( cleared from chamber ) every time one switch to primary which is again, quite time consuming. I wonder if that is a bug or intended behaviour?

@Rhino - two separate animations would be neat indeed but to be honest I'm not so sure about the rifle jamming. While it would be nice touch and realistic too, I think it would not be necessary but that's IMO of course. Thanks for the acknowledgment though


@RTGamer -
Quote:
well, this was ready discussed long time ago but seems no devs ha interest to change this, i know you felling that's why im looking forward at the PR Arma3 and PR2 in Arma 3 the soldier in lees gay(no offense).
I think it's just been explained above that there are engine limitation and with that said I think the DEV's might be looking for suitable workaround which I imagine won't be so easy. I don't think they would appreciate the above comment LOL
Beee8190 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 08:36   #6
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Rhino's Avatar
Default Re: Reload animation speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beee8190 View Post
@Rhino - two separate animations would be neat indeed but to be honest I'm not so sure about the rifle jamming. While it would be nice touch and realistic too, I think it would not be necessary but that's IMO of course. Thanks for the acknowledgment though
In reality you do all the checks and forward assists etc to make sure the weapon dose not jam. Skipping those checks and assists should naturally mean that the weapon could jam, otherwise there would be no point in doing them.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 11:37   #7
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

Chuc's Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Chuc
Default Re: Reload animation speed

The speeds are like that to purposely slow down gameplay and make you as a player consider more the weight of your actions. That and also the speed is a catch-all for all situations, as of course you can't do a speedy reload or weapon transition while sprinting down a hill or crawling prone in the mud as well as if you were crouching and still.


Personal Folio - http://www.studioash.net
Chuc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 08:52   #8
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

camo's Avatar
Default Re: Reload animation speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beee8190 View Post
this got me thinking about the grenade launcher thing

the GL is unloaded ( cleared from chamber ) every time one switch to primary which is again, quite time consuming. I wonder if that is a bug or intended behaviour?
I think its intentional as i heard its not a great idea to leave the grenades in the barrel. Although i heard this isn't necessary with the ag36 grenade launcher, meaning you can run around with a grenade loaded.

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 13:36   #9
fatalsushi83

fatalsushi83's Avatar
Default Re: Reload animation speed

Thanks for all of the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Chuc View Post
The speeds are like that to purposely slow down gameplay and make you as a player consider more the weight of your actions. That and also the speed is a catch-all for all situations, as of course you can't do a speedy reload or weapon transition while sprinting down a hill or crawling prone in the mud as well as if you were crouching and still.
OK, that makes sense and sounds like a good compromise. I had forgotten that you can reload while moving.
fatalsushi83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 18:50   #10
Beee8190
Supporting Member

Beee8190's Avatar
Default Re: Reload animation speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Chuc View Post
The speeds are like that to purposely slow down gameplay and make you as a player consider more the weight of your actions. That and also the speed is a catch-all for all situations, as of course you can't do a speedy reload or weapon transition while sprinting down a hill or crawling prone in the mud as well as if you were crouching and still.
To be honest I want to be killed if I haven't considered my actions properly as I deserve
that and I can't appreciate this hand walking for the above reasons and let the game think for my actions. I agree that magazine exchange should probably be done only while standing still or at least walking


Quote:
I think its intentional as i heard its not a great idea to leave the grenades in the barrel. Although i heard this isn't necessary with the ag36 grenade launcher, meaning you can run around with a grenade loaded.
I'd believe so that it may be intentional and that IRL the GL barrel is cleared of any ammo on patrols or before some sort of village searching / clearing

but with that said though, I don't believe that if soldiers were encountering enemy on average every 2 or 3 minutes IRL or even less, I highly doubt I would even bother unloading the GL every time, given the enemy might be right at the next corner
Beee8190 is offline
Last edited by Beee8190; 2014-03-24 at 18:59..
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
animation, reload, speed
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 16:23.