project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
18 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2018-04-28, 01:05   #21
PatrickLA_CA

Default Re: [WIP][Vehicle] Panther G

Okay, I've decided to finish my animation project in Blender. I have downloaded 3ds Max 9 so when I'm done with the school project I'll be able to start over and do it the right way for PR, unless someone can give me some tips about doing the tracks in Maya/Blender.

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-05, 10:08   #22
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide
PR:BF2 Developer

I think it would be best for now if you would make the hull, wheels and turret and put al of that on the same sheet. After that you could do a texture. We unfortunately have nobody right now who could export the tracks properly for all I know.

D.J.

Mr.VdHeide is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-14, 15:22   #23
PatrickLA_CA

I accidentally made something in Blender and then used it to make a quick track mock-up that is very similar to the PR track tutorial. Can anyone confirm that this is how my track mesh should look like?

Old 2018-05-15, 18:53   #24
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

On the right road, but that is wayyyy too much detail. Checkout a tank with wireframe in the editor/meshviewer for guide on how it should be.

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 20:49   #25
PatrickLA_CA

Finally had some spare time to move the model to Blender, it's just so much faster to work with. Anyway, I've modeled the basic turret and gun and made tracks using a curve and its object extrude property which is the right way to do it I think.

I'm satisfied with the tri count for now and I intend to lower it by using an image with alpha-channel for the sprocket which is about 900 tris by itself.

Old 2018-08-13, 02:01   #26
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide

sprockets could stay the way they are, simply remove the teeth for the 2nd LOD so the teeth will be gone when you walk a couple of meters away from it. You can have a pretty high poly lod 0 model as long as lod 1, 2, 3 & 4 are all just properly optimized. 2D texture would look kinda meh, even though I know some vehicles in PR have 2D sprockets.

D.J.

Old 2018-08-13, 02:22   #27
PatrickLA_CA

Oh, well I didn't know that, I guess I'll just add some more detail to the rest of the model then for lod 0.

Old 2018-08-22, 17:27   #28
PatrickLA_CA

Did some more work on the turret and now I'm not sure whether I'm doing it the right way. Should all of the little parts be welded together and then should those parts be welded to the turret?

Old 2018-08-23, 17:08   #29
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide

Green stuff is nice, good details.

Orange seems useless.

The edge marked in red doesnt add anything at the moment but could improve smoothing when it is 'diameter' would be increased.

Keep it up!

D.J.

Old 2018-08-23, 19:04   #30
PatrickLA_CA

Okay, I will simplify the red and orange parts, what about the viewports? Right now they are merged with the cupola as 1 object but they are not actually connected to it. Is that a problem?

EDIT: While I was at it, I also added most of the details, the only thing left to do now I think is to do the sprocket and idler from scratch with proper teeth count and welding.

Last edited by PatrickLA_CA; 2018-08-23 at 21:23..

Tags
panther, wipvehicle