project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
20 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2017-08-29, 23:33   #31
CAS_ual_TY
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: New Vehicle Icons

Changed it a bit rhino. But overall Id suggest testing it

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-29, 23:56   #32
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Those little missiles might work ye, but ye, needs testing, can't you do that?

Also think the MV22 icon needs more detail with black rotors (or at least black borders for its rotors now in higher detail) and also a Chinook icon would be good too

Would also suggest the Medium tank could use a less rounded turret and possibly could do the ATGM pods for both the MBT and IFVs a little differently, right now they are pretty large and for the IFVs would emphasise the size of the turret more than the size of the ATGM pod. Might also be worth basing the medium IFV off of the BMP2 or something too?

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-30, 07:31   #33
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
Supporting Member

Kinda hard to tell diffirence for insurgents support&logistic cars. Perhaps instead of very small L that's probably will be aliased could do same as with support&logistics trucks, bit wider lines inside\outside?

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-30, 11:03   #34
CAS_ual_TY

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Those little missiles might work ye, but ye, needs testing, can't you do that?

Also think the MV22 icon needs more detail with black rotors (or at least black borders for its rotors now in higher detail) and also a Chinook icon would be good too

Would also suggest the Medium tank could use a less rounded turret and possibly could do the ATGM pods for both the MBT and IFVs a little differently, right now they are pretty large and for the IFVs would emphasise the size of the turret more than the size of the ATGM pod. Might also be worth basing the medium IFV off of the BMP2 or something too?
Im reworking the IFVs entirely. Not rly happy with them. Ill see what I can do. Havent rly worked on MV22 and Chinook, the thing you see here is just my "1st conversion" of 16 -> 32. Havent worked on the corners and details yet.

If you tell me where I can find the texture atlas and where I can find the vehicles minU/V and maxU/V values in the files, I can do it :P
Right now I am using the PRISM data.zip to get my icons, as that already provides me with .png versions :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo View Post
Kinda hard to tell diffirence for insurgents support&logistic cars. Perhaps instead of very small L that's probably will be aliased could do same as with support&logistics trucks, bit wider lines inside\outside?
Ammo Techie
Open Jeep without any weapon (UAZ support)
Open jeep with weapon (UAZ)
1 crate logistics van (used by MIL and some times INS I think)

Old 2017-08-30, 11:35   #35
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

It is possible to test new menu items without packing them into the atlas. Going from memory, you flip the image vertically, save as .tga and then rename to .dds (with also the file name being totally new and not conflicting anything already packed in the atlas), then packing that file into the menu_client.zip under the correct dir and having the .tweak file of the vehicle ref that new icon, it should load fine ingame. But ye, that's just going from memory so might be a little incorrect

Also for your "open jeep" icons, tbh they look more like closed up jeeps, might be better to represent open ones with seats and other interior details in them and would make the gun far bigger and more apparent?
With 32px icons you have a lot more fine detail to play with so you might as well use that for the unimportant stuff with just 1px black lines, and important stuff, having 2px black lines or even bordered off the really important stuff like those missiles you did for the jets

Old 2017-08-30, 14:44   #36
CAS_ual_TY

Being a bit more specific would be good since I have no experience at all (google doesnt help either).

Anyways, I changed the following (tweak file of mec_tnk_t72s.tweak of objects_vehicles_server.zip):

Code:
rem old: ObjectTemplate.vehicleHud.miniMapIcon Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Minimap\mini_tank_heavy.tga

rem new:

ObjectTemplate.vehicleHud.miniMapIcon Ingame\Vehicles\Icons\Minimap\mini_tank_heavy.dds
And I put the mini_tank_heavy.dds icon into menu_client.zip/hud/texture/ingame/vehicles/icons/minimap/mini_tank_heavy.dds

But it still loads the old icon. Tested on Local, Kashan AAS STD

Old 2017-08-30, 14:54   #37
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Because it is still looking for "mini_tank_heavy", doesn't matter that its .dds or .tga on the end, BF2 code classes them the same and just loads the texture out of the atlas if its in the atlas, which "mini_tank_heavy" is.

You need a new name like "mini_tank_heavy_new.tga"

Old 2017-08-30, 14:58   #38
CAS_ual_TY

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Because it is still looking for "mini_tank_heavy", doesn't matter that its .dds or .tga on the end, BF2 code classes them the same and just loads the texture out of the atlas if its in the atlas, which "mini_tank_heavy" is.

You need a new name like "mini_tank_heavy_new.tga"
Ahhh I am getting a grasp of this whole structure now, ok I will try

Old 2017-08-30, 15:42   #39
CAS_ual_TY

fucked up the tank inverting but the icons in general look clear and fine to me.

Taken in Full HD, No anti aliasing (if it even matters on icons)

Old 2017-08-30, 16:08   #40
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Ehhh, did you change the "ObjectTemplate.vehicleHud.miniMapIconSize" setting too? Looks like the icons are displaying in 32x32px rather than 16x16px which if so, I'm worried will clutter up the minimap to the point where you will only be able to pinpoint vehicle locations if you zoom the map in fully on a small area and the vehicle icons will cover all the infantry locations etc.

If you haven't changed it, set the "ObjectTemplate.vehicleHud.miniMapIconSize" to 16, just under the line you define the icon texture.

EDIT: actually looks like they are still displaying at size 16 after I downsized your screenshot to 800x600 so that's good

Just was so much detail that I thought they couldn't possibly be at size 16 still which is really awesome that you can see all that detail at 1920x1080

So ye, would say keep on with these 32px icons, think they will make an awesome change!

Tags
icons, vehicle