project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
14 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2016-08-07, 07:40   #21
Vista
Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Levelcap even made a video about this, very nice
Vista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 08:21   #22
ShockUnitBlack

ShockUnitBlack's Avatar
Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Arc_Shielder View Post
It's in the OP tbh. We did explained it via the announcement text for people that do wish to be informed.

However I'm (and team included are) not concerned about the main title's reaction. Once the playerbase gets more familiarized with the concept it will instantly resonate with them. Good content also helps in not giving a damn.

Had we been called Red Orchestra it would of been the same thing. It only makes sense to you now after following its media and playing it for a while. The reason for that it's because they did a good job in ingraining players with a strong conceptual direction.

Not only the name matches the concept we're going for but it's also a good way for us to try and step away from the generic "glory to heroes" or transgressive badass titles that means nothing in the end. I feel that we're being more realistic by giving a more intimate and emotional angle of these men...who tried to cope with war the best they could. We didn't want to desensitize them like many other WW2 titles do, so we thought of war letters as a vehicle to express their feelings of "I wish I was back home and not in this shithole". Hence Post Scriptum. The name should always match a strong conceptual purpose. Many titles fail to do that because they're still mimicking the WW2 classic shooters. Unfortunately that's the norm...hence your reaction.

Personally I've never heard of any game's title making a player enjoy it more. Everyone is either neutral or dislike it. I'm pretty sure that after having gone through with a few promotional ads and immersive elements in-game, it'll go down the same route as Red Orchestra. No one will complain because they all understand what is about. The name will also instantly trigger gameplay memories.

Even if we go down the shallow path of "make it sound WW2 related then, not for dummies, but for marketing purposes".

Again, Red Orchestra.

It'll be fine.
I get what you're saying, but I really think something like "Post Scriptum: Arnhem" or "Post Scriptum: Market Garden" would do a better job of establishing your mod's time and place. The current title just doesn't give me any idea of what the game is about unless I read the blurb, plus throwing in a Latin phrase makes it sound a bit pretentious imo.

Also, as I recall, it was "Red Orchestra: Combined Arms," then "Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45," and finally "Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad." Never just "Red Orchestra."

"I Want To Spend The Rest Of My Life With You Tonight."
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 13:47   #23
[R-COM]Arc_Shielder
PR Community Faction Lead

Arc_Shielder's Avatar
Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockUnitBlack View Post
I get what you're saying, but I really think something like "Post Scriptum: Arnhem" or "Post Scriptum: Market Garden" would do a better job of establishing your mod's time and place. The current title just doesn't give me any idea of what the game is about unless I read the blurb, plus throwing in a Latin phrase makes it sound a bit pretentious imo.

Also, as I recall, it was "Red Orchestra: Combined Arms," then "Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45," and finally "Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad." Never just "Red Orchestra."
Rising Storm, Forgotten Hope, Fallen Heroes, etc etc there are multiple cases out there under that reasoning.

Are you honestly going to tell me that you instantly knew what timeline these games portrayed if you only heard it by name? Yes, even just Red Orchestra (as barely anyone includes the baseline)?

Does Rising Storm resonates you about the Pacific theater?

I feel that I would treat people as unintelligent beings for getting the clue as well as perpetuating the same old cycle of WW2 that hails ideologies than human condition. Post Scriptum was chosen because of the concept, it goes hand in hand. We felt had we chosen a typical grandiosis name it would inherently alter the concept as well. It had to be something to match. Had your argument been the creative side UNDER this concept, then maybe there was something worthy to debate there.

If you feel it's more pretentious to include a "latin name" than going on an endless cycle of hail glory "insert badass name" of an era that was anything but awesome, then go ahead, I understand as it's been the norm for decades. If you want us to say "something something: Market Garden" to treat you like a child, well read above as I've went through that already.
We're just trying to break that norm a bit although that's not even why we started this project and neither we put a high focus to it. It just makes sense to us and we're following it through.

When people come across a new game it's either an article, a video or people talking about it. In all of those instances there will be a description right away that will tell you what the game is about.

You're just hyperbolizing an issue that doesn't even exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Levelcap even made a video about this, very nice
Didn't know. Thanks for the heads up.

Arc_Shielder is offline
Last edited by [R-COM]Arc_Shielder; 2016-08-07 at 14:03..
Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 16:04   #24
MaxBooZe
PR Server License Moderator

MaxBooZe's Avatar
Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Looking real good for an early showcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Arc_Shielder View Post
Does Rising Storm resonates you about the Pacific theater?
Yes, actually. At the very least it makes me think of warfare in East Asia.



MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 16:40   #25
3===SPECTER===3

3===SPECTER===3's Avatar
Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Nice! Another WW2 game for me to follow

All the assets you guys made are looking real good so far. Is that Char B1 going to be the flamethrower version that fought against the Brits in Arnhem?

Can't wait to see more stuff

3===SPECTER===3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 19:12   #26
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

AfterDune's Avatar
Default

Who cares what name it has, it looks awesome!

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 11:39   #27
Cossack
Supporting Member

Cossack's Avatar
Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Indeed, looks great. Maybe we will have proper shooter with combined arms for WW2 setting since FH faided away and RO is just small level grind.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 15:40   #28
77SiCaRiO77
Retired PR Developer

77SiCaRiO77's Avatar
Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77SiCaRiO77 View Post
will there be gore?
I hate to repet myself, but I will .
77SiCaRiO77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 19:30   #29
[R-DEV]​Ratface
PR:BF2 Developer

Ratface's Avatar
Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77SiCaRiO77 View Post
I hate to repet myself, but I will .
Not planned, things can change but I don't think it's really on our to-do list.

Ratface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 21:22   #30
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

DesmoLocke's Avatar
Send a message via AIM to DesmoLocke
Default Re: Post Scriptum: The Bloody Seventh

Looks great and can't wait to try it!

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
bloody, post, scriptum, seventh
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:11.