project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
19 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2013-11-17, 10:54   #71
sirfstar

Default Re: Flares, UAV, lack of AT, asset rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
If you mess with the UAV it might end up bringing us back to the .98 days when commanders only existed to call in area attack and maybe delete a useless fob or two.
So what? I don't see any commanders nowadays too. I only see lazy guys who can do some sort of ghosting all the time. No one is commanding actually, any 'tactics' that requires hidden movement isnt possible anymore, nothing added to gameplay except an illusion of teamwork due to ghosting guy giving intel. That's the most stupid thing in 1.0
sirfstar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 12:13   #72
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

Its not about the balance between two teams, but balance between ground and air assets. With permanent lazing UAV it is favoring CAS with little to no counter play for the ground forces. When you get spotted by a ground spotter you can always try to either kill him or break line of sight, against UAV both are impossible.
Even AAs cant protect you. The improved flares plus CAS always knowing where AAs are makes it really hard to kill CAS from the ground.
Removing lasers from the UAV will balance this a bit, especially when facing jets, but will still favor CAS in the intel war (gunships with decent gunners dont need lasers anyway).
Also i wouldnt worry about not seeing commanders when lasers get removed, i see alot of commanders on maps that dont feature any CAS. The information gathered by UAV are way more important than being able to kill some tanks behind enemy lines.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 13:05   #73
Kerryburgerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
The improved flares plus CAS always knowing where AAs are makes it really hard to kill CAS from the ground.
Not if you know how to use the ADVs and olther anti-air assets.
Kerryburgerking is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 13:16   #74
Takeda

Quote:
Even AAs cant protect you. The improved flares plus CAS always knowing where AAs are makes it really hard to kill CAS from the ground.
Its harder, and a bit "tricky" to shoot down chopper with handeld AA, but those mobile onse are still pain in ass for every CAS crew.

If we talk about UAV, i would rather say that time of set up(too fast, you can follow enemy armour nearly from main, without missing him. If it would take 1-2 min to change position, it wouldnt be OP) is a problem not a lazes.
Takeda is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 13:51   #75
Prevtzer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryburgerking View Post
Not if you know how to use the ADVs and olther anti-air assets.
Why don't you share some of your AA expertise, you always seem to be smart-assing about them.
Prevtzer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 15:31   #76
Kerryburgerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevtzer View Post
Why don't you share some of your AA expertise, you always seem to be smart-assing about them.
Don't stand in the middle of the battfield. Get to a god hiding spot. Don't shoot as soon as you get a lock, wait for the perfect time. The element of suprise is decesive when it coems to anti-aircraft warfare.
Kerryburgerking is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 15:48   #77
Takeda

Quote:
Don't stand in the middle of the battfield. Get to a god hiding spot. Don't shoot as soon as you get a lock, wait for the perfect time. The element of suprise is decesive when it coems to anti-aircraft warfare.
+1

I would also said: Take your fiends to test airfield and test variuos shooting/locking metods.
Old 2013-11-17, 16:24   #78
Prevtzer
Banned

Quote:
Well, that's pretty basic. I always like to position myself between an area where CAS is going to attack for sure (flag) and their base. This way you can hit them when they've already attacked and usually run straight into you at low alt and high speed. This way, flares can't help them.

But still, this is much harder in 1.0 with the UAV being able to see a large portion of the relevant battlefield, more enemies that can spot you etc. And you can't 100% hide from an UAV and be effective.
Prevtzer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 16:41   #79
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
Its harder, and a bit "tricky" to shoot down chopper with handeld AA, but those mobile onse are still pain in ass for every CAS crew.
Yes choppers are mostly fine, but it can still be hard to kill a half decent crew. The main problem for me a are jets. If the move fast and use preemptive flares it is very hard to kill them and mostly based on luck or a pilot mistake.

Quote:
You cant really hide anymore, that is one of the problems. UAV will almost certainly see and lase you as soon as you leave main base, so there is no surprise anymore and the jet/chopper will already have flares up when he enters your field of view. Also its hard to wait for the right moment when the bomb is already falling towards you or the tank you are covering. Jets dont fear AAs at all atm.
Unless you mean camping the enemy runway with "good hiding spot", those can still reliably kill enemy cas.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 21:22   #80
Takeda

Quote:
The main problem for me a are jets. If the move fast and use preemptive flares it is very hard to kill them and mostly based on luck or a pilot mistake.
Practice, practice, practice, thats the key.

Tags
asset, flares, lack, rolling, uav