project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2007-11-15, 19:07   #1
Jedimushroom
Supporting Member

Default Yet more bloody problems...

I have FINALLY managed to install my new rig (only the mobo was damaged) and I got onto BIOS setup, when I try to boot the computer (after the opertunity to go into BIOS) it always comes up with the same error:

Quote:
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997 - 2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8111B/8168B Gigabit Ethernet Controller v2.02 (060301)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
I have motherboard connected and as far as I know, working, it may not be the one with windows installed as the two are identical andI only have one SATA power connector.

Also odd that it should say Intel as I have an AMD chipset Motherboard and processor.

Please help me with this annoying problem.

"God will strike him down when he checks his email and sees young Fighter has turd burgling tendancies. Could you imagine going to church knowing your son takes it up the wrong 'un?" - [R-Dev]Gaz on 'Fighter137'
Old 2007-11-15, 21:52   #2
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Enter into your BIOS - and check the boot priority. You may have your floppy disc or CD/DVD drive selected as a boot device prior to your hard drive. You should be able to cycle the boot devices listed and pop your primary Hard Drive up to the top of the list.

Try that and repost with any new message, or if it continues the same.

Be advised that your windows installation may well not recognise your PC as the same one it used to be installed on - as you've changed the chipset on the mobo. (If your new mobo ran the same chipset as your last one, you'd be okay, most likely). In this case, you'll need to boot from a windows installation CD and install it afresh - and anything you had on that drive may be lost.

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Old 2007-11-16, 07:30   #3
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Your rig is trying to boot from LAN. You probably have an Intel network interface, which explains 'Intel' .

As Masaq said, go into your BIOS and change your boot options/priority.

Old 2007-11-16, 16:37   #4
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]AfterDune View Post
Your rig is trying to boot from LAN. You probably have an Intel network interface, which explains 'Intel' .

Good point - I didn't bother reading the middle three lines of that pasting lol.

Any joy, Jedi?

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Old 2007-11-17, 23:50   #5
Jedimushroom
Supporting Member

Thanks for your help, all is well now.

And just for the lulz I got me a new 8800gt

so that means AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+, 2 gigs PC 6200 DDR2 RAM and 8800gt.

Is that good enough?

"God will strike him down when he checks his email and sees young Fighter has turd burgling tendancies. Could you imagine going to church knowing your son takes it up the wrong 'un?" - [R-Dev]Gaz on 'Fighter137'
Old 2007-11-18, 03:26   #6
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

It's a very nice rig! Personally I'd go with a spot more RAM, but that's only because I'm too lazy to close down many running processes before gaming, so by having plenty of RAM in I can compensate for the increased memory usage. As a result, I've frequently got AV or anti-spyware running the background whilst I play, lol.

Old 2007-11-18, 13:02   #7
Jedimushroom
Supporting Member

Good point, another 2 gigs should do it, think I'll get some Ballistix tracer this time, if only for the pretty LEDs.

Old 2007-11-18, 13:32   #8
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hehe, good choice. Hope your new rig plays well enough to have made the stress of it all worthwhile hehe. Would be good to see some benchmarks off you once you've got your extra memory installed, see how your system pulls up against a similar spec Intel-one?

Old 2007-11-18, 18:10   #9
Jedimushroom
Supporting Member

I should really have gone intel but AMD is comforting and safe for me.

I really shouldn't spend as much money next time.

Old 2007-11-18, 18:16   #10
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I know that feeling! I do like having a powerful setup but... *shudder* the overdraft suffers...

Tags
bloody, problems