project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
22 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2019-02-06, 22:21   #161
dnamro
Default Re: Experimental updated 3dsMax Tools. Newer Max versions support and more.

Yes, that was the problem with getting the bf2 plugins to work with 3ds Max and Win 10. It appears that even if you have BF2 installed, it won't install directX 9 drivers on a Win 10 system. Most likely, BF2 was updated in the 1.6 patch to use more current directX drivers. So by installing the directX end user run times,

I even dug up and old XP laptop with with no games installed and I had to install the same direct end user run time files, to get it to work. I bet if Installed BF2 or BF1942 on this system it would have installed directX 9 files that I needed.

I am just glad that I finally figured out what the problem actually was and a solution for it.
dnamro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-14, 22:34   #162
PuckerFactor
Default Re: Experimental updated 3dsMax Tools. Newer Max versions support and more.

After you've installed DirectX 9 on your Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer, you might as well enable Direct Play, as many old games require this deprecated piece of software, which seems to be part of DirectX. Here's how you do that:

Press Windows key and R
Type in appwiz.cpl and press enter
Check if the Programs and features part of the Control Panel has opened
On the left, click on Turn Windows features on or off
Look for Legacy components, double click it or press the plus sign to see all components
Check the Direct Play checkbox and click Ok

Also, read this;

https://windowsreport.com/enable-directplay-windows-10/
PuckerFactor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-18, 18:52   #163
dnamro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
After you've installed DirectX 9 on your Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer, you might as well enable Direct Play, as many old games require this deprecated piece of software, which seems to be part of DirectX. Here's how you do that:

Press Windows key and R
Type in appwiz.cpl and press enter
Check if the Programs and features part of the Control Panel has opened
On the left, click on Turn Windows features on or off
Look for Legacy components, double click it or press the plus sign to see all components
Check the Direct Play checkbox and click Ok

Also, read this;

https://windowsreport.com/enable-directplay-windows-10/
Good Point. I still can't export to BF2 using a 64 bit version of 3ds Max. I can import just fine. It seems that the sceneparse.exe utility is not running. Sceneparse.exe has to be a 32 bit app, it was created when XP was used as a primarily 32 bit OS. Since any 64 bit version of 3ds Max will be installed into the 64 bit folder (Program FileS) I can't help but wonder if the problem might but wonder if the problem might be that sceneparser is located in the 64 bit folder and if it would work if the max script that calls it could reference it from a 32 bit safe folder (Program files (x86))
Old 2019-02-26, 03:07   #164
dnamro
Default Re: vBF2/PR 3dsMax Tools - Import/Export/Lightmaps/Animation - Max 9 and newer!

Great to see PR forums back up!

I have dug into the export process and from using the listener tool in 3ds Max, it shows that it is stopping when trying to run BF2Materials.ex, which is after it runs sceneparse.exe. Sceneparse appears to export the .dat and .mtl files for the model, while BF2materials.mtl actually does a lot some extra processing, before the script finishes up with the final conversions. In testing, I could not run sceneparse or BF2materials. from a command line in the \Program Files\autodesk\3ds max [ver]\scripts\Bf2\bin folder, but I could from the similar location in the 32 bit folder (\Program Files (x86)\... So, perhaps the problem is that 32 bit tools are trying to run in the 64 bit folder (\program files\).

Also running scenparse manually provides a lot of useful info on the model.

So, I was thinking, if the max script could be made to point to the similar location of the tools in the (x86) folder.

I found where the global variable is being set that has the location to the tools folder.

The variable is:

g_bf2ToolsLoc?

It is set in the plugin folder in bf2_mat_staticmesh2.ms:

Code:
if not g_BFisGmax then     g_bf2ToolsLoc = (getDir #scripts) + "\\bf2\\"
Wha?t I am thinking is that g_bf2ToolsLoc could be searched for \Program Files\ and if it exists change it to \Program Files (x86)\

A batch file could be k?icked off to copy the tools over to the \Program files (x86) if they don't already exist. That, I can handle.

I have scripted in other languages, I just don't know enough about max script. The 3ds Max help does not have many examples, so it's not exactly easy to follow. Its also hard finding examples online.
Old 2019-04-21, 04:11   #165
PuckerFactor
Default Re: vBF2/PR 3dsMax Tools - Import/Export/Lightmaps/Animation - Max 9 and newer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamro View Post
Great to see PR forums back up!

I have dug into the export process and from using the listener tool in 3ds Max, it shows that it is stopping when trying to run BF2Materials.ex, which is after it runs sceneparse.exe. Sceneparse appears to export the .dat and .mtl files for the model, while BF2materials.mtl actually does a lot some extra processing, before the script finishes up with the final conversions. In testing, I could not run sceneparse or BF2materials. from a command line in the \Program Files\autodesk\3ds max [ver]\scripts\Bf2\bin folder, but I could from the similar location in the 32 bit folder (\Program Files (x86)\... So, perhaps the problem is that 32 bit tools are trying to run in the 64 bit folder (\program files\).
Have you gone to the 3dsMax Tools for BF2 Github?
https://git.cmp-gaming.com/Harmonika...2-3dsMax-Tools

Read;
Working with multiple 3ds Max installations.

You can run all supported versions of 3DS Max using one BF2-3dsmax-Tools folder from wherever you want. (Except the BF2 startup scripts for Max)
PuckerFactor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-27, 15:57   #166
SPYKER

Hi all,

I have problem when exporting tracks (in IDF:FFI mod we use A modular approach, hence the tracks exported separately):

There are missing meshes after the export.
The missing meshes are the ones affected by the skin modifier.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tracks-in-bfmesh.jpg (112.0 KB, 75 views)
SPYKER is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-13, 19:51   #167
ALADE3N
Project Reality Beta Tester

I get this problem everytime I press Render Terrain

EDIT: Fixed it by setting the water height higher than 0 in the editor and reloading the terrain in 3dsmax or clicking the render terrain function after I open 3dsmax

Last edited by ALADE3N; 2019-06-14 at 11:22..
Old 2019-07-30, 02:11   #168
dnamro

Apparently, I have been overthinking the problem of getting the 64bit versions of 3ds max to export and possibly other functions that use the the 32 bit exe files.

In the folder:

\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max [ver]\Scripts\bf2\bin\release

There are 4 files:
bf2Materials.exe
HMParts.exe
mergeTGAColors.exe
SceneParse.exe

Select properties of each file and set compatibility to XP SP3 for each one.

Now they will run correctly as 32 bits app with the 64 bit version of 3ds Max.
Old 2019-09-29, 12:02   #169
dnamro

Started new thread as to not get this one off topic:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=149150
Last edited by dnamro; 2019-10-05 at 14:39..

Tags
3dsmax, experimental, max, newer, support, tools, updated, vbf2 or pr, versions