project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
18 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2010-07-20, 01:34   #71
ChiefRyza

Default Re: [Map] Operation Tempest (4km)

I think you misunderstood, there are 4 flags to capture in sequence per round. You take them one by one, they are set up in a sort of West-to-East format as well so it goes further inland. With 16 possible flags that are all very big and unique, it should make every round completely different.

Quote:
its definitly the best way to do terrain for games (note: but DEM-Data)
Geocontrol 2 rocks The results you get in a matter are seconds save so much time if you were to do it by hand. At the same time though, there is a hell of a lot of hand made terrain on this map as well. As for the real-world data, it's hard to come by heightmaps for some areas if they havn't been surveyed yet. For example my other map in the Torres Strait for the ADF faction, there was literally no heightmap data available whatsoever. This map doesn't use any real world data either because I just enjoy creating something from scratch, you end up becoming a lot more attached to it as well because it is 'your' location in a sense.

Current project: Operation Tempest
ChiefRyza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 05:55   #72
ChiefRyza

Picture time yaaaaaaaaaaaay:

Old 2010-07-20, 09:52   #73
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

nice progress

but the hills are still empty. paint a overgrowthlayer to all hills and place those overgrowthrocks then convert them to statics and replace them with vBf2 stones. then maybe adding some bushes and it should be fine

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 10:01   #74
ChiefRyza

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Amok@ndy View Post
nice progress

but the hills are still empty. paint a overgrowthlayer to all hills and place those overgrowthrocks then convert them to statics and replace them with vBf2 stones. then maybe adding some bushes and it should be fine
Would rather not massacre my performance sorry. Believe me, I tried. I don't want to have a go at you and I'm sure your going to tweak it with Jormdarreh Range but I would never allow my map to be played with less than 50FPS even with hardcore hardware. I don't know how else to explain this but If I was to cover the hills with vegetation it would:

1) Add nothing to gameplay. Not even supposed to be fighting on those hills, they are really designed to funnel combat rather than act as playable areas. While you can still get up there your at a huge disadvantage.

and:

2) Waste precious fps merely for the sake of visuals.

To put that much overgrowth would make it jump from ~ 20,000 to about 30,000, that is a huge area to cover with overgrowth. I'm already stretching performance as it is!

Last edited by ChiefRyza; 2010-07-20 at 10:12..
Old 2010-07-20, 10:01   #75
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:

a man after my own heart, Ich liebe es :P

I hope you'll put alot of ambient mosquito effects :P

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 10:13   #76
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

if you want to create a map with good fps just let it empty just place the gpos ...

dont you think that that would be boring ?

having the hills that empty is just looking really bad cause you have so many vegitation everywhere but the hills

if you dont have any cover at the hills there is no chance of flanking the enemy

Old 2010-07-20, 10:15   #77
ChiefRyza

Your coming to all these conclusions about the map without even playing it. Having invested so much time into it simply to be belittled because of a few screenshots isn't very fair. There are hundreds of ways around the map, I assure you you'll be able to flank every flag from tons of areas.

Old 2010-07-20, 10:18   #78
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

i have seen your minimap and your screenshots ...

moving across the hills with a squad is suicide

and going all around the hill to get into the valley is not really flanking ...

Old 2010-07-20, 10:26   #79
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

enchance your calm gentlement we're here to advise you Chief, but its your baby

Perhaps one thing you could consider is carving tracks trough the hills according to gradients by using roads, widen teh road, apply spline, smooth it out, then either remove the road or use the path/track texture

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 10:29   #80
ChiefRyza

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Rudd View Post

Perhaps one thing you could consider is carving tracks trough the hills according to gradients by using roads, widen teh road, apply spline, smooth it out, then either remove the road or use the path/track texture
Way ahead of ya mate Hence why I was referring to the "hundreds" of ways, because there are loads of thin rocky trails running all over the mountain ranges. That minimap is a bit old now, I'll make a new one soon. I love getting feedback, but when it is unsolicited, naturally I'll get defensive...

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you Amokandy, just trying to answer you as simply as I can - I'm probably about 50% done so what you see in the screens and minimap now will be way different in the next couple months.

Tags
4km, map, operation, tempest, wip