project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2009-05-14, 16:28   #1
killer_01000

Send a message via MSN to killer_01000
Default To the Devs and Community about source code of bf2

I have a curious question to ask. In light of all the beta news, what would you add to pr (assuming you have the know how to do it) if you had full access to the source code of bf2?

Now i would like to keep this a somewhat serious discussion. An example, fastropes are ok just nothing like LaSeRs pEw Pew PEw lol. A general rule i guess could be if its in service with any military.

My suggestion would be ground deformation. Example, if a arty shell (not limited to arty) hits the ground it would create a crater. inf and vehicles would all react to it (making cover and hull down a very very standard tactic but also somewhat easier since you not limited to hills only).
killer_01000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 16:35   #2
Jonny
Default Re: To the Devs and Community about source code of bf2

Many more networkable objects.

Mumble, heavily edited.

Arbitrary heightmap sizes.

Better collision/damage system.

Others would add more complex features...
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 20:44   #3
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Many more networkable objects.

Mumble, heavily edited.

Arbitrary heightmap sizes.

Better collision/damage system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreZiad View Post
128 players
More view distance but also optimized to reduce lag frame.
503 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 16:36   #4
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_01000 View Post
Example, if a arty shell (not limited to arty) hits the ground it would create a crater. inf and vehicles would all react to it (making cover and hull down a very very standard tactic but also somewhat easier since you not limited to hills only).
Even with the Refractor 2 source code that couldn't be done. It would require all the terrain to be networkable which would cause severe lag unless the net code was completely overhauled. BF2 already goes haywire with too many networkable objects.

But what I'd like to see done, if we had the source code, would be to make the weapon handling as realistic as possible. Taking features from OFP, Infiltration and RO into consideration.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 16:45   #5
killer_01000

Send a message via MSN to killer_01000

i think in the poe mod they had some sorta of crater that was created on the ground from the rockets, albeit it looked like crap and wasnt that deep would that be a possible fix (remembering having full source code access lol)
killer_01000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 16:47   #6
gazzthompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_01000 View Post
i think in the poe mod they had some sorta of crater that was created on the ground from the rockets, albeit it looked like crap and wasnt that deep would that be a possible fix (remembering having full source code access lol)
it was like our fox holes now, not in the terrain but above it.

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 19:48   #7
Jonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
Even with the Refractor 2 source code that couldn't be done. It would require all the terrain to be networkable which would cause severe lag unless the net code was completely overhauled. BF2 already goes haywire with too many networkable objects.
Well it is a very special case of networkables, its a regular array of unsigned short integers. So that removes most of the positional data. Using pre-defined 'masks' to change the height will remove almost all of the height data. That leaves you with needing to send one position, and one mask identifier per crater. That doesn't sound like too much trouble considering that once its applied client side then there is no further network traffic for that crater.

In fact thats actually starting to sound quite good, performance-wise. Using an equation to define the mask, which would take a single unsigned short integer (the explosion force?) and the centre of the crater (where the projectile died?) would really make this quite possible to add, if we had the source code.

Would that actually take any more networkables than we currently use for an arty shell?
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 19:50   #8
UncleSmek

Thank you BF2 engine
UncleSmek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 19:24   #9
Zrix
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Fastropez.

Nah, but proper weapon stabilization in vehicles would be a sweet addition.

Zrix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 20:19   #10
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrix View Post
Fastropez.

Nah, but proper weapon stabilization in vehicles would be a sweet addition.
I have PMed the dice guy about putting in the 2142 code for it "ignoreparentrotation".

Apparently it will be looked into, not sure if anything will happen with it, but I hope so.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bf2, code, community, devs, source