project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
14 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2013-01-29, 20:39   #1
Zrix
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default The military media thread (Photos/Videos/Links/etc) Pt. 3

Old thread is getting laggy again. Since I made the first one I give myself the mandate to say it's time for Part 3.

Part 1
Part 2

-------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Purpose
I have been missing a proper military media thread on these forums. Sometimes you come across stuff that doesn't fit in an existing thread, but doesn't justify it's own. So I made this.

The purpose of this thread is to have a place to post interesting/cool/fun military related media you may come across in your journeys across the web.
It can be a photo from an operation in Iraq, a sweet YouTube video, an article about a new piece of gear or a rare WW2 photo. Well, you get the idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Rules
  • Forum image rules still applies.
  • Try to avoid making posts too big. If you have a lot of content, consider spreading it out over a couple of days and posts.
  • Try to keep discussions to a minimum. Feel free to comment on things posted, but remember it's not a text thread.
  • If the content can be considered graphic and/or offensive, don't embed it. Link to it with a warning instead.

Zrix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 23:21   #2
Leopardi

Default Re: The military media thread (Photos/Videos/Links/etc) Pt. 3

Let's start this thread with some tanking action

[YOUTUBEHD]WUxaJ5ogrq4&hd=1[/YOUTUBEHD]

And a 122mm RM-70 rocket artillery barrage:

LiveLeak.com - Full 40 round salvo - Finnish Forces
Last edited by Leopardi; 2013-01-29 at 23:51..
Old 2013-01-29, 23:36   #3
torenico

Send a message via MSN to torenico

Hope we can see it on PR soon!

http://s905.photobucket.com/user/raziel1082/media/mareth.jpg.html[/IMG]
torenico is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 23:42   #4
JimmyKid1996

http://www.navy.mil/management/photo...-RJ834-189.jpg

JimmyKid1996 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 04:56   #5
Xavo|xXx

On the topic of FFL again, I read a book about an Australian that did a 5 year stint from '88 to '93 - he's now working as a Lawyer in the Australian Army and went to the FFL after a few years in the Army Reserve.

Anyway, I always thought the FFL were an elite unit (maybe they are?), but from what he wrote of his experience it didn't sound too impressive at all, in terms of training and the type of people that join.

The book is called 'Marching With The Devil' by David Mason.

Although I do understand that that's just one account of life in the Legion, but it does seem brutally honest to me.
Anyone care to shed more light on it?

It goes Halle Berry or Hallelujah | Pick your poison tell me what you do | Every body gon' respect the shooter | But the one in front of the gun lives forever
Xavo|xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 05:50   #6
ShaunOTEast
Supporting Member

Priest blesses new recruits' rifles. [IMG]imgur.com/AW8DXMi.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps the world is not made, perhaps nothing is made, a watch, without a watchmaker.
ShaunOTEast is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 09:36   #7
Midnight_o9
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavo|xXx View Post
On the topic of FFL again, I read a book about an Australian that did a 5 year stint from '88 to '93 - he's now working as a Lawyer in the Australian Army and went to the FFL after a few years in the Army Reserve.

Anyway, I always thought the FFL were an elite unit (maybe they are?), but from what he wrote of his experience it didn't sound too impressive at all, in terms of training and the type of people that join.

The book is called 'Marching With The Devil' by David Mason.

Although I do understand that that's just one account of life in the Legion, but it does seem brutally honest to me.
Anyone care to shed more light on it?
It is considered by some as an Elite unit, their training seems to be harder than the regular infantry one, but of course it depends on the regiment and their role, but from what I remember all the FFL units have to follow a training in Djibouti, in the "desert" and this thing doesn't look really easy.
As for the people, the FFL is a group that gives you a 2nd chance in life, it accepts criminals among its troops so yeah you can end up with some bad people, the ones I know are really nice though.
I didn't read the book, but I assume that like every other army, there are units that do more than others, the FFL remain our first expeditionary force and are the ones who see the most combats during their service as long as France is fighting abroad.

I'm no expert so if anyone wants to add some precisions to that...

Infantry school's Officers training course in Djibouti (not FFL)

Some pics from Mali

Last edited by Midnight_o9; 2013-01-30 at 11:00..
Old 2013-01-30, 12:59   #8
Xander[nl]
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Xander[nl]

Never thought I'd say it, but the French are doing pretty badass over there.

This guy must hate his life right there for getting to be the driver xD
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/in...5_30145202.jpg
Guys guys what's happeniiiiiing?? What ya shooting at??

Xander[nl] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 06:29   #9
ShockUnitBlack

Vietnam.

"I Want To Spend The Rest Of My Life With You Tonight."
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 06:55   #10
Xavo|xXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_o9 View Post
It is considered by some as an Elite unit, their training seems to be harder than the regular infantry one, but of course it depends on the regiment and their role, but from what I remember all the FFL units have to follow a training in Djibouti, in the "desert" and this thing doesn't look really easy.
As for the people, the FFL is a group that gives you a 2nd chance in life, it accepts criminals among its troops so yeah you can end up with some bad people, the ones I know are really nice though.
I didn't read the book, but I assume that like every other army, there are units that do more than others, the FFL remain our first expeditionary force and are the ones who see the most combats during their service as long as France is fighting abroad.

I'm no expert so if anyone wants to add some precisions to that...
Ok, it's just on the topic of training - he said that they received very little French lessons (he was on a course to become a fast tracked Caporal and needed to learn French), they spent a lot of time picking weeds and he said that a lot of the time people failed basic weapon safety checks and stuff.

Although I guess he highlights the negatives quite a lot, so maybe there was regular proper training and stuff going on.

I don't know, I originally thought they were some of the best but the book has really made me re-think about it all. I'd like to hear what others have to say as well.

It goes Halle Berry or Hallelujah | Pick your poison tell me what you do | Every body gon' respect the shooter | But the one in front of the gun lives forever
Xavo|xXx is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ifv, links, media, military, photos, thread, tulpar, turkish, video, videos