project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
21 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2017-08-25, 17:31   #21
B4rr3l
Default Re: New Vehicle Icons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
We're not dealing with greyscale here though, literally full black and full white. You can try it for yourself - take some black and white noise, compress it with DXT and look for any differences.

The icons here also only use 1 bit alpha, so using DXT3 or DXT5 would just double the size for no benefit.

Here's a comparison between 16x16 and 32x32 at 2560x1440. I just doubled the resolution of the atlas and saved it as DXT1 to test.

Ahh ok haven't noticed they were 2 bit only, you are right! but maybe you could give them a little bezel and improve that shades... DXT1 still ok than, its very low detailed, but 32x32 it's definitely an improve over the blurred ones
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-25, 18:11   #22
chupachup

Sooo to get this clear:
1. Make an icon in 32*32
2. Export as DDS, BGRA8, no mipmaps
3. Scale image to 16*16?
chupachup is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-26, 02:42   #23
B4rr3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupachup View Post
Sooo to get this clear:
1. Make an icon in 32*32
2. Export as DDS, BGRA8, no mipmaps
3. Scale image to 16*16?
Never! LEave it at 32x32 DXT1
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-29, 13:51   #24
CAS_ual_TY
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
[...]

Visually just from the minimap icons, it looks like a vastly different jet is coming to your aid than the one coming, and for someone not familiar with the vehicles on the map, could even be expecting something like a Su-27 coming to their aid instead of a Sea Harrier or Mirage based solely on their minimap icon, etc

Also, there are no distinguishable differences between the Daggers and Skyhawks, where their speed and movability is actually more important than their weapons, which the only way you leave to tell that from the minimap icons, is the speed they are moving at, which can be very deceiving if they are in an attack dive or climbing for an attack, or performing tight turns etc.

The reason why I'm picking out just jets is they are really the most important, and hardest things to show via minimap icons in my experience since they are often not in visual range to get visual confirmation on what they really are, and they vary so drastically between different shapes and roles, but mostly on the Falklands.
The advantages of the way I had the icons setup is you could tell the basic aircraft type at a quick glance (really the key thing when dealing with aircraft), and then if you knew the finer details, what role that aircraft was performing with its finer details which you can still tell pretty quickly if you know what you're looking for, although yes, no real indicators and hard to be consistent between lots of different jets.

[...]
hm. I do get the point now. I see what I can do. I agree on the point that the jet icons are the hardest ones :P

My suggestion would be partially following your advice. Basically give different roles different icons, but also consider the aircraft itself, but NOT consider the exact loadout.

EDIT: what about these

Last edited by CAS_ual_TY; 2017-08-29 at 14:57..
Old 2017-08-29, 17:47   #25
CAS_ual_TY

(some more examples)
I thought Id suck making 32x32. But they dont look so bad afterall :P

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-29, 20:08   #26
chupachup

Im wondering wether the 32x32 are supposed to have double thick lines then, since they'll be made smaller ingame right?
chupachup is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-29, 20:43   #27
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member

ye should be created as 16x16, that way you get cleanest pixel lines. Really no reason to spend memory on icons that are going to be super tiny anyway.

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-29, 21:14   #28
CAS_ual_TY

Quote:
If sticking with the vBF2 standard and the standard of every other icon, then yes. But it is possible to go higher rez than that.
Quote:
Ye never had any compression issues with the minimap icons as TBob said, but yes doing them in 2x the size does make them a lot "smoother" but would require a total overhaul of the current icons but if CAS or someone is keen on that part, might be an idea, but wouldn't go above 32x32px unless someone can really notice the difference, maybe they might be able to on 4k?
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mineral View Post
ye should be created as 16x16, that way you get cleanest pixel lines. Really no reason to spend memory on icons that are going to be super tiny anyway.
I guess I misunderstood :X

anyways, both 32x32 and 16x16 icon sets are ready. Let me know when/if you need them

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-29, 21:33   #29
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Best to see what 32x32px icons look like ingame in 1920x1080.

From an extra memory standpoint, while yes 32px icons are 4x the size/memory of 16px icons, 32px are still very small and the actual increase of memory usage is nothing, providing another texture atlas isn't required to house them all, which even with lots more icon types I don't see that happening from these icons alone with the final atlas currently only around 1/2 of it being used.

I think however these icons will just look at lot sharper and cleaner and I very much doubt you will be able to see/notice the 1px lines you have for missiles sticking out over the wings etc, was hard enough to see them in my experience with 16px icons against the minimap background, so I think the differences will need to be a lot bigger than that if players are going to easily be able to tell them apart, but best to see what they are like ingame.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-29, 22:15   #30
Deadmanfoot

I really like the idea of new icons to differentiate between vehicles. It can help with CAS especially with different icons you can check the map to see which friendly is engaged or not. Rather it just being a clusterfuck, also it would be nice to see the t72S and the S1 differentiated on the map Great work.
Deadmanfoot is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
icons, vehicle