project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
17 Oct 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2018-11-02, 03:52   #1
billwa

Default Making ARMA 3 PR

If this is on the wrong part of the forum, sorry, can you please direct me?

Important note to PR Devs, and Mods: I will credit you guys fully for the idea that you have bestowed upon me. I find great pleasure in playing Project Reality, and interacting with an awesome community. I really hope you guys allow me to be associated with your game and add this on to your official PR games when I am finished with it.

Current Progress: 2%
I still have a shit ton to do lol. If I already find a default arma 3 project reality like game mode, I'll be set at 50% and go from there. Mainly I just need a tickets system, a PR-like loadout system, and a construction system along with a squad system. It's a lot, but I'm not going to let this mod go to shit because, I get lazy one day.

Hello there,

Now many of you may be confused as to what this entitles because, many think the ARMA 3 Project Reality mod is dead and gone. While the current one doesn't seem to be worked on anymore, I am working on my own version. I won't borrow any assets from the Project Reality Mod, and will only do so IF I get permission. I will say that this isn't an official Project Reality Dev. Team release, but it's something I'm working on my own.

The ARMA 3 release will retain all of what Project Reality has stood for; a harsh sense of reality in war, and team cooperation in order to succeed.
Features of this mod:
- Original factions (MEC, USMC, US Army, Russian Federation, Insurgents, France, etc..)
- New Factions (North Korea, Switzerland, Irish Republican Army, Taiwan, ISIS, Al Nusra, Kurds)
- Original maps (Fallujah, Kokan, etc..)
- Many new maps (A ton)
- New weapons! (MEC gets more than just a stinking G3! Nothing unrealistic though.)
- Players can pick up enemy weapons, but not enemy clothing/vests/helmets. Here's the twist; players will suffer from a lack of accuracy when using enemy weapons. Enemy weapons upon being utilized will also jam more frequently, but won't be jamming every 2 seconds because that'd be stupid. Enemy weapons will also take longer to reload, but none-the-less, if you are all out of ammo, you can pick up any weapon on the battlefield.
- Original PR features (Building FOB'S, having certain squads do certain things like Trans or Cas, commanders, Squad Leaders, the whole thing)
- Selectable kits from spawn and supply crates! (Yes! Just like the original!)
- Guns can overheat, thanks to ACE! (So what if you have 10 G3 Magazines and are sitting in a comfy position. Your weapon can only put up with so much repetitive fire! This is REALISTIC, weapons will overheat at a certain extent. For example, if I put 6 G3 mags through my rifle, keeping in mind that its .308, i can start to experience some hiccups. Doing this prevents players from just camping with a giant stash of ammo. It also prevents people with M249'S, YES, IM TALKING ABOUT YOU M249 GUNNERS, from taking revenge on Insurgents for hours on end without needing to stop shooting)
- As of now, the Insurgent/Taliban/Terrorist fighter class starts with random combat rifles! (Now this is also subjective because Hamas fighters will get a random mix of m16 rifles with like no optics lol, and aks. Taliban will get aks like the ak47 akms akm and ak74. The red flag insurgents will get more of the hand me down AK47's and will take practically anything they can get to shoot someone. Then again, there is still specific classes, so sorry if this is hard to understand.

Changes from the original version:
- Bandages are now medkits (Well, field things, I dont know. I'm tired. Ill develop these packets of life saving fabric later)

Features that probably won't be included in PR ARMA 3:
- The Extra ammo bag. Now before I go on with this, I supplemented this with an ammo bearer class that a squad member can take. The ammo bearer carries a decent ammo of ammo that can keep a squad going when out in the Field. The extra ammo feature was useful, but it'd be harder to script in ARMA using.SQF because ARMA 3 doesn't use a normal ammo system. There are extended mags and stuff.
- Melee. This is subjective because, there is melee, but no specific melee weapons like knifes and bayonets ARMA 3 was more of a gun game, and there really was never a need for bayonets. Right now I have MOCAP, but it is rifle butt, and pistol whipping. At least you have something.

Here is some work I've been doing on the MEC faction:
*Notice how some of them are armed with HK33's and AK'S. The AK's aren't a big surprise, but since the MEC is a mashup of Middle Eastern Militaries and Iran copies the G3, it would be sensible for them to copy more than just 1 HK weapons platform.

Nice view of the Ziess for G3 rifles:

Please leave comments and questions. I want to get as big as a following as I can for this.

Thank you for reading and I hope for a bright future in my adaption of PR in ARMA 3! Thank you to the PR dev team for such a great idea!
Last edited by billwa; 2018-11-02 at 21:19..
Old 2018-11-02, 21:24   #2
[R-CON]​mectus11
PR:BF2 Contributor

Default Re: Making ARMA 3 PR

Bluedrake42 was working on something similar but the project got stolen from him from what I've heard and now is dead.

Last edited by mectus11; 2018-11-02 at 21:32..
Old 2018-11-02, 21:33   #3
billwa

What a shame. I'm sad to hear that it went south because some moron decided to steal work like that. I've seen PR ARMA 3 mods come and go, none ever seemed to stay.
billwa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-03, 05:48   #4
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

I've only skimmed over your post billwa but I have a few pointers you might want to consider just from what I've read.

A. I seriously would advise against calling it "Project Reality ARMA3" or w/e. Firstly, calling it PR is just going to mean your going to have to live up to all the expectations that nametag brings, as well as people expecting it to be made by us etc and it is seriously not worth it. You're far better off giving it a unique name and say it is "inspired by PR", which gives you far more flexibility and less to live up to.
Secondly BD42 already made a project under that name (even after being advised not to for the reasons above) and afterwards, he even admitted that he would have been better off not calling it that for those reasons.

B. I would seriously narrow your plan to only a few core things you really need and once they are done, expand from there. That many factions is totally unrealistic when you truly look into all the assets they require. A faction isn't just a new uniform for a solider, it is so, so much more. We have spent 14yrs getting the number of factions we have in PR and we had some of those factions with assets from vBF2 and also other mods donating assets to us, like USI, EOD2 etc. I would just focus on core gameplay to begin with and maybe 1 or 2 new factions tops, and that is only if you plan on totally replacing the ARMA3 factions really with more realistic ones.

Last edited by Rhino; 2018-11-03 at 06:42..
Old 2018-11-03, 16:53   #5
billwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
I've only skimmed over your post billwa but I have a few pointers you might want to consider just from what I've read.

A. I seriously would advise against calling it "Project Reality ARMA3" or w/e. Firstly, calling it PR is just going to mean your going to have to live up to all the expectations that nametag brings, as well as people expecting it to be made by us etc and it is seriously not worth it. You're far better off giving it a unique name and say it is "inspired by PR", which gives you far more flexibility and less to live up to.
Secondly BD42 already made a project under that name (even after being advised not to for the reasons above) and afterwards, he even admitted that he would have been better off not calling it that for those reasons.

B. I would seriously narrow your plan to only a few core things you really need and once they are done, expand from there. That many factions is totally unrealistic when you truly look into all the assets they require. A faction isn't just a new uniform for a solider, it is so, so much more. We have spent 14yrs getting the number of factions we have in PR and we had some of those factions with assets from vBF2 and also other mods donating assets to us, like USI, EOD2 etc. I would just focus on core gameplay to begin with and maybe 1 or 2 new factions tops, and that is only if you plan on totally replacing the ARMA3 factions really with more realistic ones.
Thank you for the advice!!

A. You have a point, but I wouldn't have any other idea on what to call it. Can you offer any suggestions?

B. That many factions is realistic, however, I don't plan on including all of them when I first play it with other people. I don't just focus on one thing for them either (you were talking about uniforms and there being much more to a faction than just that). Thanks to RHS, and CUP (along with many other mods), most of the weapons and faction assets are already done for me, I just need to make kits and other things (along with making the core gamemode lol). I see your point, but I have more assets at my disposal than anyone could ever imagine.

If you could offer any other helpful advise, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your response!
Old 2018-11-10, 01:26   #6
Anderson29
Supporting Member

Well i hope you succeed where Blue failed. I would say start small with small arms, rockets, light vehicles, small AAS map in an urban environment. by small i mean 1k or smaller. like as asad/gaza/falujah map.

Vanilla arma gives you everything you need except revives, rallies and fobs.

you have a militia faction, insurgent faction and the independent faction that look like modern day marines. you probably dont want to use opfor and blufor because it would be too unbalanced.

once you get a popular server and fan base then you can recruit devs and more players.

blue for example went too big too soon and it was fun to play if he was streaming or online...if he wasn't then you were lucky to get 16 players seeding a huge map and it was extremely boring and frustrating which is why i started calling his "Project Reality ArmA3", "Project BlueDrake". It wasnt worth playing if he wasnt playing which is why it never got huge.

what he did right was start the mod off without making it a download. everything was server side. i suggest you start the same way. you cant expect everyone here just to come over, download a mod and think people will seed it. needs to start off FUN most importantly then grow. and avoid using too high tech arma assets. they are just to powerful to be fun in my opinion.

Good luck and we'll be watching.

in-game name : Anderson2981
steam : Anderson2981
Anderson29 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-13, 23:02   #7
billwa

Thank you for the feedback [MENTION=2411]Anderson29[/MENTION]. I hope I do succeed, and this becomes successful.

So far I got the revives system done, tickets and bleed tickets done, and vehicle restrictions.

The rally system, FOB system, and squad system still need work but I should have this figured out before too long.

As for the mods go, players will have RHS and CUP to download which will be about 16 GB. CUP may be cut due to a lot of duplicate items pissing me off, but this can cause conflicts. The bottom line is that RHS and CUP are necessary for most of the assets I am going to create.

After this post, I'll be providing some more screenshots showcasing features.

Tags
arma, g3a3, making, mec, projectreality