project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Bugs
23 May 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Bugs If you find a bug within PR:BF2 (including PRSP), please report it here.

Old 2022-01-23, 06:18   #1
PhantomFury
Question K98 and M1 Garand Magazine Issues

I was playing in a single-player Co-Op when I noticed issues with the primary infantry weapon for both Germany and USA, although they aren't the same problem (so if it is an intentional mechanic, it'd be great to know)

For the M1 Garand, you cannot reload mid-clip (you fire a few shots, hit R and it doesn't reload) and instead automatically reload when you fire off the last bullet in the clip, a feature not present in any other weapon in the game that I know of.

For the K98, you cannot perform an estimate on how many rounds are left (holding down Q to bring up the communication rose and looking at the lower right portion of the screen shows nothing aside from the usual clip counter).
PhantomFury is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-23, 12:42   #2
Coalz101

Default Re: K98 and M1 Garand Magazine Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomFury View Post
For the M1 Garand, you cannot reload mid-clip (you fire a few shots, hit R and it doesn't reload) and instead automatically reload when you fire off the last bullet in the clip, a feature not present in any other weapon in the game that I know of.

For the K98, you cannot perform an estimate on how many rounds are left (holding down Q to bring up the communication rose and looking at the lower right portion of the screen shows nothing aside from the usual clip counter).
I talked about the Garand already, I don't know if or when they'll fix it as it's seen as not a big issue (It's low priority). In terms of the K98 I think that's a mechanic also as it's been so since forever, it's not a problem though for most people you can basically guess how much rounds you have as it doesn't have much.

Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-24, 00:36   #3
PhantomFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalz101 View Post
I talked about the Garand already, I don't know if or when they'll fix it as it's seen as not a big issue (It's low priority). In terms of the K98 I think that's a mechanic also as it's been so since forever, it's not a problem though for most people you can basically guess how much rounds you have as it doesn't have much.
Ah sorry about reposting an issue, I just noticed two immediate problems so I went ahead post my observations without double-checking what was reported before. As for the problems themselves, I think fixing it (eventually, no need to rush it since it is indeed a minor issue) is worth doing for the sake of a polished look if nothing else. Also sometimes keeping track of how many shots I've made of the K98 is a little problematic when I have to take my attention to other things and reloading the whole clip when I just shot once more than 5 minutes ago isn't quite ideal.
Old 2022-01-24, 12:51   #4
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The M1 Garand is set up this way because of engine limitations. The reason why it's set up as it currently is, is because of that famous "ping" effect, where the ammo clip is ejected from the gun after the last bullet has been fired. Now, BF2 doesn't support an additional animation with the clip ejecting, so it's made as part of the reload animation. And so, in order for PR to have that clip ejecting after that last shot, the reload has to be done automatically.

In BF2, you can set reload to either manually (=whenever you like) or automatically (=when the magazine is empty). Setting it to automatic unfortunately doesn't allow you to reload mid-clip.

It would be great if both methods would be supported, but alas...

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-25, 08:06   #5
PhantomFury

Ahh I see, this is very informative, thank you for telling us!