project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
13 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

View Poll Results: What Type of Tutorial do you Prefer?
Written Tutorial with lots of pictures etc 50 40.65%
Video Tutorial 69 56.10%
Other (please specify) 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-23, 03:53   #1
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default What Type of Tutorial do you Prefer?

Hey guys.

I'm about to look into finally making a tutorial to show you guys how to setup my new Overgrowth Field in your maps and was just wondering what type of tut I should make, ie, a written tutorial with lots of pictures or a video tutorial.

Slightly swaying towards doing a normal written tutorial but if most people would prefer a video tut I might be inclined to do that.

Cheers

Old 2009-08-23, 04:59   #2
HangMan_

Default Re: What Type of Tutorial do you Prefer?

Written tutorials are easy to follow as you can re-read things as many times as necesary. This is the same with video tutorials except that u are not distracted by the footage so you can fully focus on the instructions.

Either tutorial would be fine, just as long as we get one

My map desperately needs overgrowth fields,

Cheers,
HangMan

PR Community Faction Team - "Getting Sh*t Done..."
Old 2009-08-23, 07:08   #3
Tonnie
Retired PR Developer

video but thats becouse i learn easier when i watch someone do something once then its stuck in my head, wile written tuts i have to reread the whole thing about 3 or 4 times but it depends on the person and whats easier to learn things for that person...

HangMan: BF2 Editor, it has very strict limitations memory wise, and crashes all the time. Its like a girl. Treat it with respect and take it slow and you'll get places. Rush and get ahead of yourself and it will turn around and punch you in the mouth
Old 2009-08-23, 11:41   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

oops, put other when I meant video. I like video, a visual example with a verbal explanation.

Old 2009-08-23, 13:25   #5
Brummy

Send a message via MSN to Brummy

Written with screenshots, simply cause you don't have to download a huge file, and it's easy to pickup from where you left.

Edit: It's also a lot easier to look back certain parts of the tutorial in a written one.

Last edited by Brummy; 2009-08-23 at 15:12..
Old 2009-08-23, 14:56   #6
Baafen

I think video tutorials are better if there is someone telling what he/she is doing. If its just a plain video tutorial without anyone telling what´s he/she is doing I think a tutorial with text and images is better.

A video tutorial without someone telling what´s he/she is doing is like a tutorial with only images. Except that its a bit easier to see what´s actully going on in a video than with just images. But it doesn´t give the whole picture of how to do it.
Old 2009-08-23, 16:57   #7
Tomato-Rifle

Send a message via MSN to Tomato-Rifle

I like HD video tutorials with voice so it is easy to understand, you can also then see exactly what people are doing and you can pause at a certain frame at which you need to take a better look at.

Old 2009-08-23, 17:47   #8
Hyperion

Image-Tutorials like Tutorial: Hard Surface Texture Painting - Game Artist Forums this are my favorite.
Old 2009-08-23, 18:34   #9
Wilkinson

Send a message via AIM to Wilkinson Send a message via MSN to Wilkinson

I'd still Rather have written. It lets people who can't read english use a translator.

Old 2009-08-23, 19:11   #10
SgtDad
Banned
Supporting Member

Written tutorials can be edited instantly for grammatical and technical errors. Clean. Uncut. Filtered only via the "edit" button.

Video tutorials depend almost entirely on the teaching ability of the tutor and the videographer's skill. Then it depends on the student's ability to listen and learn. When reading a tutorial, you can go back and do your research at your own pace; whereas with a video tutorial, you have to pause, replay, and if the audio is poor in certain instances, you might miss out entirely on the widget you need to keep from imploding - too much can go wrong with so many "Murphie's" around.

Video tutorials for PR?!? Fuggedaboudit.....
Closed Thread

Tags
prefer, tutorial, type