project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
27 Nov 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2019-02-05, 20:53   #3101
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

Default Re: Squad: A commercial game made by developers of and inspired by PR:BF2

So the January recap is in and I can't stop looking at this image of Skorpo

Also, this is hella cool:

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-05, 18:45   #3102
N4pp0leon
Exclamation Re: Squad: A commercial game made by developers of and inspired by PR:BF2

Squad - Poor Optimization is the Rule in this game.

Don't come with this excuse that the game is beta ... blah blah blah ... it's been 5 years since it started and the problems are many for a PAID game !!!

Last edited by Mineral; 2020-09-06 at 10:06..
Old 2020-09-05, 22:02   #3103
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

Default Re: Squad: A commercial game made by developers of and inspired by PR:BF2

What are you talking about, Squad runs really good now. Sure, there is still more stuff they can optimize and improve but what it offers is way past its price tag. It has been improved a lot in terms of optimization and the gameplay seems to be starting to head back into a direction more similar to PR.

Old 2020-09-08, 01:46   #3104
Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLA_CA View Post
What are you talking about, Squad runs really good now. Sure, there is still more stuff they can optimize and improve but what it offers is way past its price tag. It has been improved a lot in terms of optimization and the gameplay seems to be starting to head back into a direction more similar to PR.
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Vista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-09, 13:00   #3105
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

Maybe you just play on shit servers

Old 2020-09-13, 18:13   #3106
Phoeenix

Is there any clans here taking on newbies at all? English language based?
Phoeenix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 04:29   #3107
Sniperdog
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hey folks, just giving a quick nod here that after 6 years, we're finally coming out of Early Access and fully launching the game tomorrow that I had had hoped for us to build all those years ago. This thread has a special place for me as the place we nervously pitched the game to the PR community back then.

It's been a long and quite personal journey, and I do genuinely think that with Fuzzhead at the helm the game is in good hands and has many years of great PR inspired experiences and new evolution due to come.

I do hope we've been able to sincerely build a game that most Project Reality fans would see as a worthy successor as a commercial evolution of Project Reality, as my genuine hope has been with Squad to try and bring that style of gameplay I discovered growing up to a new generation of gamers and to ensure the spirit of Project Reality lives on far into the future as Battlefield 2 sunsets as an engine. It may be a bit personal, but what got me into game dev in the first place was seeing PR2 as a project not working out for a variety of reasons from my experiences on those PR2 teams, and not wanting to let PR style gameplay fade off with BF2. I do also understand if some do not feel Squad stayed true enough to PR's gameplay or spirit, and I do apologize for letting anyone down who had different hopes for what it would be. That said I do suggest you give the game another go as I do think things are undergoing a fresh new evolution of gameplay with the work Fuzz is doing lately.

I wanted to also throw a quick thank-you to any Project Reality developers around either from back when I was on the team or who are here today. I am super proud of the fact that Project Reality is still actively creating content with an active team an impressive 16 years after Battlefield 2's launch, and I do feel we at OWI are standing on the shoulders of giants.

If he's around, I also wanted to throw a bit of a shout-out to Rhino. He was my first teacher before I knew how to open a zip file, and I'm super thankful to this day that he put up with and answered my badgering bf2 engine questions.

With Post Scriptum and now Beyond the Wire we're trying to give back to other fledgling modders, hobbyists or aspiring devs as we hope to pay it forward, keep that type of spirit alive in the future, and of course we aim to continuously improve our own modding support in Squad as well and make that source code available to more modders / devs to come.

Thanks
Will

Will Stahl aka "Merlin" in the Squad community
Last edited by Sniperdog; 2020-09-23 at 04:38..
Old 2020-09-23, 15:22   #3108
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Awesome work guys! I've been hearing good things about the gameplay of Squad from my friends but have yet to try it for quite a while, will have to try and make some time for it at some point

I'm still amazed you were able to pull it off as it must have been soo much work to get it off the ground! It was one of the main reasons why I didn't join you in the early days, that and I wasn't in a good place emotionally to be able to commit to something like that. I still do wonder how things would have gone if I did join Squad back then and do wonder if it was one of my biggest mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperdog View Post
If he's around, I also wanted to throw a bit of a shout-out to Rhino. He was my first teacher before I knew how to open a zip file, and I'm super thankful to this day that he put up with and answered my badgering bf2 engine questions.

Hey Merlin, ye I'm still about with the aim of finishing off my Frigate & PR:F update "Soon (TM)" hehe.

I'm still amazed by how my poorly written tutorials, riddled with soo many spelling mistakes has helped so many people over the years get into modding and from there, full game development. I do remember your Combined Arms addon to PR, and how it had lots of really neat features in it, it's a shame more of them never made it into PR as they would have been pretty awesome.
Someday you might be able to return the favour with giving me some tips on how to start up an Indi Game as I have some ideas brewing that some day I hope to create

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 16:23   #3109
Rico
Retired PR Developer

Amazing to see the evolution after all these years (16 years ago it came on my radar)

Personally and professionally I hope its been a great ride for all involved! I am looking forward to what the future holds for both PR and Squad and any future spin-offs thereafter!

Both teams have done an incredible job and I hope you're all proud of your contributions to this niche in the market.
Last edited by Rico; 2020-09-23 at 16:29..
Old 2020-09-23, 17:19   #3110
Sniperdog
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Thanks Rhino and Rico!

@Rhino, shoot me a DM if you're ever looking to do a call or talk about your projects, happy to give you some pointers indie dev wise.

Will Stahl aka "Merlin" in the Squad community
Sniperdog is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
... hides behind, ..the alpha status, .for everything wrong, 5 fps, blur my screen, blurry, commercial, developers, game, inspired, katarn loves crysis, machinima, player forgot glass, poxo is ghey, pr > squad, prbf2, shit game, shitty blurry game, specs, squad