project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
17 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2011-11-11, 13:29   #21
Th3Exiled
Default Re: "Build" me a new computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Tomato-Rifle View Post

Put it together and its working perfectly! Been playing Bf3 on auto settings I'm going to see how i can push it.
Good to hear it's working out well so far. Looking forward to see for myself how high you can crank the graphics.

Btw, keep in mind. Down the track when you are after a little more graphics power you can simply pick up another 6770 and run it in crossfire if you want. According to a review at guru3d, it sounds like a pair of 6770s are comparable to a 6970 in games that have proper crossfire support (Although I only read the conclusion, didn't really have time to read the whole thing. Spent the day fixing up my dad's home entertainment system; had to rewire the whole thing).

Just curious, how have you got your partitions set up? Do you just have the one?

For a single hard drive I would:

At the very least have
C: (OS/games/Programs) This drive I would back up onto D in case I somehow how screwed up windows
D: (Documents/music/movies/Important Files) with this partition backed up onto another drive.
At this point it should be rather easy to shrink your partition and add another if you've only got the one.

Normally I'd have
C: (OS) ~30GiB
D: (Programs/Games)
E: (Documents/music/movies/Important Files)

Simply because it makes backing up/restoring and defragging quicker (and less fragmentation happens at that). It also has the bonus that if you do end up getting an SSD (or just a second hard drive) you can simply move the OS to the SSD without anything else (I'd recommend getting one if you've ever got money to blow, I know intel had a ~30GB one floating around which would be perfect if you simply want to drop your operating system on and not spend a fortune. Although it is a dated model and I'm not sure if their new series has that size).
Backing up would be similar to with 2 partitions, however backing up D is not as important and may be omitted.

Currently with my raid setup creating two logical disks
C: - SSD raid (OS + some games & programs)
D: - HDD raid (Programs/Games)
E: - HDD raid (Documents/music/movies/Important Files)
F: - HDD raid (OS test bed) ~10GiB
G: - HDD raid (Network backup location; dad's computer is backed up onto this drive)

Edit: Btw, your picture is in violation of forum rules.

Quote:
Re-size images so they are 1280x1024 (or widescreen comparable) MAXIMUM resolution when using IMG tags.
I've edited your picture and re-uploaded it @ http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6093/vrzgv.jpg. You'll have to edit your post and change the link in the [IMG] tags.

Exiled.
Last edited by Th3Exiled; 2011-11-12 at 01:22..
Old 2011-11-14, 00:24   #22
Tomato-Rifle

Send a message via MSN to Tomato-Rifle

Everything on high is the optimal settings it seems, with some on ultra. The FPS d

Partitions? I had no idea i could set up stuff like that. Could you give me a link on info?\
Yeah i didn't release the resolution of the pic would be that big, didn't even notice. I took it from my phone so i thought it would be smaller. :P

I have never overclocked at all, so any info on how to get started would be awesome as well.

Thank you everyone for helping me choose parts. I am very happy with the rig overall, my only complaint would be that it is pretty loud. But i don't even notice it while I'm immersed in my gaming

Tomato-Rifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 01:57   #23
Th3Exiled

Quote:
Everything on high is the optimal settings it seems, with some on ultra..
That's great.

Quote:
Partitions? I had no idea i could set up stuff like that. Could you give me a link on info?\
Yeah, not many people set up partitions. My dad doesn't even do it and he's been using windows for ages (we've had a computer since as long as I can remember). Although he buys pre-built computers (although his next one he said he'll get me to build)

Anyway, first you'd want to shrink your primary partition

Partition or Volume - Shrink - Windows 7 Forums

Don't close the program as it says at the end because you'll need it to create a new partition

Partition or Volume - Create New - Windows 7 Forums

Quote:
Yeah i didn't release the resolution of the pic would be that big, didn't even notice. I took it from my phone so i thought it would be smaller. :P
Yeah, most people don't realize how big a megapixel is. The iPhone 4's camera is 5 megapixels, a 1080p monitor (1920x1080) is ~ 2 megapixels.

Quote:
I have never overclocked at all, so any info on how to get started would be awesome as well.
:\ Had I known you were planning on overclocking I would've told you to get the 'K' version of the processor. Sorry, should have asked.

In overclocking you get your CPU speed by multiplying two numbers; the FSB (front side bus) or similar technology used by newer processors, although from here on I'll simply refer to it as FSB collectively for simplicity, and the processor multiplier .

The only difference between the I5 2500 and the 'K' version is that the 'K' version can have a custom multiplier set whereas your one has it locked.

This means you can only overclock by bumping up your FSB. Doing this however also increases the bus to the ram and overclocks it as well. Luckily the ram will have it's own ratio setting so you should be able to set it to a lower ratio and raise the FSB without taking the ram above it's original value.

Increasing FSB only will not damage your components, however, the higher your processor speed, the more unstable it becomes. To compensate for this you raise the CPU voltage. This voltage increase is what can damage components, however, this is only really a problem when dealing with massive overclocks (think 50% overclock).

The other thing you have to watch out for is heat. As you increase the FSB and voltage the processor will produce more heat.

2 Programs which you'll find useful in overclocking
Prime95 v26.6 Download - Freeware Files.com - Utilities Category
Download SpeedFan 4.45 Free - A small application that shows you fan speed, voltage and chip temperature. - Softpedia

The actually overclocking will be done in your bios, refer to the manual or the internet to find where the settings are and what they are called for what you want to do.

Use the first program to put a load on your CPU. This will stress the CPU and test whether it is stable. If it crashes, just increase the voltage by 1 or 2 steps (a step is the smallest value you can increment the voltage by the motherboard, eg. 0.0125V) and try again. Stress it for 20 minutes, then if it hasn't crashed you can increase the FSB further.

While you are running Prime, also monitor your CPU temp with the second program. You can keep increasing FSB until your load temperatures reaches a certain point, say 75 degrees Celsius. Once you've gotten an overclock you are happy with run Prime again for at least 2 hours. This is your final stability test, if it doesn't crash it's passed.

Ram and GPU overclocking is also possible however I'm not going to go into that. GPU overclocking doesn't offer as much gain as CPU overclocking generally either since you can't push it as far.

Keep in mind that overclocking may and probably will void warranties.

Just a recap.

Lower Ram frequency ratio

1.Raise FSB
2.Run prime test
a. computer crashes
- Increase CPU voltage and repeat
b. doesn't crash
repeat if load temperature is lower than x (Let's just say 75 degrees Celsius)

That's a little simplified but basically it. Once you're happy with your CPU clock and have done the final 2hour+ stability test, if your memory speed is too low try increasing the memory ratio, even if it's above standard, then run the stability test again. If it crashes, you have three options, you can use the lower memory speed, or you can increase voltage to the ram slightly and retest (or raise memory timings), or you can slightly decrease your FSB and thus your CPU overclock and test again (or do both raise ram voltage and decrease FSB).

Quote:
Thank you everyone for helping me choose parts. I am very happy with the rig overall, my only complaint would be that it is pretty loud. But i don't even notice it while I'm immersed in my gaming
Glad you like it. As for the noise, it may just be a case fan; try to locate the source of the noise, you may be able to replace it with one that is quieter.

Exiled.
Th3Exiled is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 01:02   #24
Q2M100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Exiled View Post
:\ Had I known you were planning on overclocking I would've told you to get the 'K' version of the processor. Sorry, should have asked.
I LOLed...

The major difference between the 2500 and the 2500K is the multiplier as he said. The only problem is that the Sandybridge processors were built in such a way that you can barely get any FSB boost out of the CPU. The only foolproof way to OC is to raise the multiplier of the Turbo Boost on these chips.

In other words, the extra $5 for the 2500K would have been well worth it.

Oh well...

Q2M100 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 05:29   #25
Steeps
Supporting Member

Yeah the "k" version allows for very simple overclocking. I have mine at 4.5GHz on air running at normal temps.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 07:54   #26
Th3Exiled

After a brief read it looks like I said something a little misleading. I said that the multiplier was locked on the the I5 2500, that is false. It is what is called "Limited Unlocked" you can up the multiplier, but not as much as the 2500k.

Quote:
If you have a part that does support turbo (e.g. Core i5-2400), then you have what?s called a ?limited unlocked? core?in other words you can overclock a little bit. These parts are limited to an overclock of 4 processor bins above and beyond the highest turbo frequency.
Also you are right about the FSB (or more correctly the BCLK) not overclocking much.

Quote:
With Sandy Bridge, the BCLK generated on the 6-series PCH is at 100MHz by default and honestly won?t go much higher than that.

While I?ve heard reports of getting as high as 115MHz, I?d view 103?105MHz as the upper limit for what you?re going to get out of BCLK overclocking. In other words: next to nothing. A 105MHz BCLK overclock on a Core i7-2600 will take you from a stock speed of 3.4GHz to a whopping 3.57GHz.
What you'll want to do is first set the multiplier to the highest value you can, and lower the BCLK (what I referred to as FSB in my previous post) to a value that will give you roughly the standard clock speed of the I5 2500 (3.3GHz). You can then just follow the steps I gave above to raise the overclock by upping the BCLK (FSB). Apparently the maximum you can get is roughly 3.8GHz by raising the multiplier to the max it allows, you may get a little higher if you can get the BCLK above 100MHz.

Source: AnandTech - The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested

Exiled.
Th3Exiled is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
build, computer