project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
19 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2010-08-15, 16:48   #11
[R-DEV]​Psyrus
PR:BF2 Developer
Default Re: [Map] Operation Hailstorm (4km) [WIP]

Performance was decent on my PC, 100 on the outskirts and around 65-80 at certain points in the island (seemingly no different from other places though?).

There doesn't seem to be many 'objective' areas though, is this part of the % that is remaining (like adding statics to make the 'flag areas')?
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 17:23   #12
VapoMan
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to VapoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrus View Post
Performance was decent on my PC, 100 on the outskirts and around 65-80 at certain points in the island (seemingly no different from other places though?).

There doesn't seem to be many 'objective' areas though, is this part of the % that is remaining (like adding statics to make the 'flag areas')?
Yes, thats most of what I have to do.

"Eight glorious sides and eight stunning angles!"
VapoMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 18:59   #13
Nebsif
Supporting Member

Add a link to that thread to ur sig pic Screenies look very kewl, too lazy to install it tho

Nebsif is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 19:19   #14
billoute
Retired PR Developer

very good work ! the island is magnificent and realist .....

La faim justifie les moyens ......
billoute is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 20:41   #15
Silly_Savage

Looking good so far.

I'm going to echo Snazz's statement about using the new jungle statics. I think they would improve your map visually, ten-fold.

"Jafar, show me a sniper rifle." - Silly_Savage 2013
Silly_Savage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-16, 02:12   #16
General Dragosh

Send a message via MSN to General Dragosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
I was also not suggesting you move the island, you can quite easily move the PLA main itself onto the NE or even NW edge of the map and use the island for anouther purpose like a small PLA fortification that needs to be taken.
Hah we have barracuda for that xD dont want another same map hehe

Oh yea the map looks very interesting, didnt test it out thou, but looks quite fine from the pictures

Newly ordered sig !
General Dragosh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-16, 12:08   #17
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Dragosh View Post
Hah we have barracuda for that xD dont want another same map hehe
Well Deer thinks you guys love copies of maps even more than brand new map concepts?

This map would also be 4km and could portray lots of different elements. By having two islands to attack instead of cutting off the small island as a small base would make it more different from barra than having that small island cut off from the gameplay as it was the PLA's main base.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-16, 12:46   #18
VapoMan
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to VapoMan

Quote:
Well Deer thinks you guys love copies of maps even more than brand new map concepts?

This map would also be 4km and could portray lots of different elements. By having two islands to attack instead of cutting off the small island as a small base would make it more different from barra than having that small island cut off from the gameplay as it was the PLA's main base.
I dont know where I would put the PLA base other than small island. I would LOVE it if the PLA had some sort of carrier (even if the model is bad at least its something), I dont want to use a cargoship.

"Eight glorious sides and eight stunning angles!"
VapoMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-16, 13:20   #19
General Dragosh

Send a message via MSN to General Dragosh

Quote:
Well thinking is overated haha xD

Heres an idea, PLA starts from the island with all the shiny assets, and the BLUFOR starts with a carrier from the top left corner on a carrier with helicopters/airplanes only and top right on a "assault ship" where the all other assets are

Newly ordered sig !
Last edited by General Dragosh; 2010-08-16 at 13:41..
Old 2010-08-16, 14:05   #20
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoMan View Post
I dont know where I would put the PLA base other than small island. I would LOVE it if the PLA had some sort of carrier (even if the model is bad at least its something), I dont want to use a cargoship.

Ye cargoships are pretty gay. If you where going to have a "PLA Carrier" it would first of all really need to a LPD, most likley the Type 071 as the only carrier the Chinese are building (since they dont have any) is the Shi Lang (called the Varyag there which is its old Russian name) but that really wouldn't do on its own as its only carriers jets and a few small choppers, can't carry any landing craft / amphibious vehicles etc like the vBF2 Carrier (which is in fact a LHD and not a carrier, even thou it can take STOVL aircraft).

The big problem with going down this rout with your map is that as noted before there is only really one spot right now which is far enough away from the shore for it to be so you would kinda need to shrink down the size of your islands in order to fit two naval tasks forces on there at opposite sides of the island. Not to mention this would be pretty unrealistic to have two, head on amphibious assaults attacking each other, more likley to have a large naval engagement before it would get to that which would result in the head on amphibious assault not happening most likley.

The biggest problem with this thou is of course the amount of work required to make a carrier/LPD if your going to be going into any detail which would be needed tbh. I'm just saying unless you have someone who has a lot of experience with staticobjects and is 100% committed to doing it with lots of time on there hands its not going to happen.

Your only real option as far as I can see is to put the PLA main on to the main island and make the small island into a small PLA garrison. I've drawn up this quick plan for you of where you could put your PLA main with the USS Essex in the SW of the map.

Option 1 for the PLA main in the very NE corner would be the most "traditional" place to put the PLA main, tucked nicely out of the way out of the combat and it wouldn't come into the played area much. Only real problem with it is it has limited exit points from it, just west really which makes the PLA's movements more predictable. This place is a pretty safe bet for a ok main base but it wouldn't give your map a new edge or anything.

Option 2 is an interesting point, pretty much in the centre of the island, with pretty equal distance from all major cap points that would be put around it. Problem with this location is it would limit quite a bit your potential objectives and would also get in the way of the flow of play for the USMC quite a bit and they would have to sweep around it the entire time which might not work too well but then again, might give your map quite a unique point to it and you could put the USMC off by going near it by putting lots of AAA etc in there

Option 3 like Option 2 is a pretty safe bet, slightly less traditional but would leave a lot of area open for combat zones even the bit to its NE where option 1 would be. This spot has pretty much the same problems as option 1 where PLA's movements are pretty predictable, only being able to go west.

Option 4 is an interesting spot, with the bridge and the whore line coming into its location and thous spots basically being in control of the main, all movement over the bridge can be monitored by the PLA and gives them lots of places to move out to. The main problem with this spot is it cuts the area to the east of it off quite a bit from game play. You could put a flag there but once that flag is capped, anyone there can't really move off that point and they are pretty much trapped there. This could still lead to some nice interesting gameplay if you put it as a middle/end flag point and not as a begging flag. The good thing about this point is the rest of the map is open for gameplay, although the USMC might have to work around the PLA main a bit.

Also if you where going to put your PLA main on the main island and the USS Essex in the SW I would be tempted to move all your terrain and statics north quite a bit, a big operation but its very possible and would give you even more water between the carrier and the shore which is only a good thing

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, hailstorm, map, operation, wip