project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
21 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

View Poll Results: Should the kill counter be removed?
Yes 248 14.57%
No 517 30.38%
Only show scores at round end 616 36.19%
Show it, but focus it on squad/team effort 298 17.51%
other (explain) 23 1.35%
Voters: 1702. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2009-03-22, 21:35   #31
ghettostankk

ghettostankk's Avatar
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

the counter is good for spotting hackers.
ghettostankk is offline
Old 2009-03-22, 21:38   #32
nick20404

nick20404's Avatar
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

And the only kinda valid argument anyone who wants it removed is that you can see that you killed someone, even without the k/d stats you could see you killed someone by A) looking at there team and look for greyed out names B) check your main score to see if it went up.


PR has been around for years with a score board, back when Battlearena had a ranking system there was more team work than ever even know we were working for frivolous ranks.

besides 99.9% of any online shooter or any online game has a damn kill counter, removing it won't make you baddys any better and it won't make the people owning you any worse.
nick20404 is offline
Old 2009-03-22, 21:47   #33
McBumLuv

McBumLuv's Avatar
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick20404 View Post
besides 99.9% of any online shooter or any online game has a damn kill counter, removing it won't make you baddys any better and it won't make the people owning you any worse.
99.99% of any online shooter also revolve around being a WTFBBQ 1337l0nw0lfs, according to the same survey.

You might debate that there's less "teamwork" now than before, but that's what you take teamwork to mean. If teamwork is about communicating with your team around you to accomplish your goal together with mutual decisions rather than being directed like sheep together to preset objectives with no varying, than I'd have to disagree.

McBumLuv is offline
Old 2009-03-22, 21:55   #34
nick20404

nick20404's Avatar
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuv View Post
99.99% of any online shooter also revolve around being a WTFBBQ 1337l0nw0lfs, according to the same survey.

You might debate that there's less "teamwork" now than before, but that's what you take teamwork to mean. If teamwork is about communicating with your team around you to accomplish your goal together with mutual decisions rather than being directed like sheep together to preset objectives with no varying, than I'd have to disagree.
Not true, if you have ever played any online game competitively you would know its not about lonewolfing but teamwork, even CS is about teamwork if your actually playing matches and not pubs. Even games like Arma have kill counters, and don't forget operation flash point.

Like I said before you don't have to admit it if you don't want but the game is about kills and competing with each other to see who can do better. Some people might enjoy the game differently. But getting rid of the kill counter solves no problems what so ever besides some people feeling bad that they cannot get as many kills as others.
nick20404 is offline
Old 2009-03-22, 22:02   #35
McBumLuv

McBumLuv's Avatar
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

Were not suggesting that you shouldn't be able to see it at the end, when it really counts, anyways. I also enjoy checking up at the end to see how well I "fared" compared to others, but I don't think it's constructive during the game.

McBumLuv is offline
Old 2009-03-22, 22:19   #36
SleepyHe4d
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick20404 View Post
And the only kinda valid argument anyone who wants it removed is that you can see that you killed someone, even without the k/d stats you could see you killed someone by A) looking at there team and look for greyed out names B) check your main score to see if it went up.
1) It's a very good reason to remove it.

2) For A and B, that's why you remove the whole scoreboard.

3) Another reason is making people focus on the team instead of themselves, how is that not a valid argument? Argue all you want but the fact is that it will change player behavior to be more team based, which is what this mod is about.

4) If #2 is too much, just removing k/d will still let #3 take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick20404 View Post
Like I said before you don't have to admit it if you don't want but the game is about kills and (1) competing with each other to see who can do better. Some people might enjoy the game differently. But (2)getting rid of the kill counter solves no problems what so ever besides some people feeling bad that they cannot get as many kills as others.
Yes, part of the game is killing. A lot. Removing the scoreboard doesn't stop you from killing, it just gives you a different reason to kill. You still get the exact same satisfaction of killing someone and making them wait to respawn, it just removes the ability for other players to see how you did. This improves gameplay by making you focused on what helps the team, not yourself.

(1) Sorry to contradict you but actually this mod was made to get away from that mentality and change it to what team can do better.

(2) Wrong again, see above.



Now please stop using crappy, illogical arguments pro-scoreboard people.
SleepyHe4d is offline
Old 2009-03-22, 22:24   #37
nick20404

nick20404's Avatar
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

If you don't want to see how bad people are owning you don't press tab. The game it self encourages teamwork you saying that removing the kill counter will make all the noobs miraculously better is just a dumb assumption. Besides when you kill someone the kill doesn't even appear for 30-60 seconds so waiting around just to see if you got a kill would be a dumb thing to do when you should be still fighting, really if checking your k/d ratio is affecting your game play than maybe you should stop doing it. but if you like you can keep assuming what your saying is correct i know you will. (smugness)
nick20404 is offline
Old 2009-03-22, 22:45   #38
SleepyHe4d
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick20404 View Post
If you don't want to see how bad people are owning you don't press tab. The game it self encourages teamwork you saying that removing the kill counter will make all the noobs miraculously better is just a dumb assumption. Besides when you kill someone the kill doesn't even appear for 30-60 seconds so waiting around just to see if you got a kill would be a dumb thing to do when you should be still fighting, really if checking your k/d ratio is affecting your game play than maybe you should stop doing it. but if you like you can keep assuming what your saying is correct i know you will. (smugness)
Wow, nice job not reading or understanding my post at all. You're probably acting like this on purpose because you have no argument so I don't even know why I'm taking you seriously. You didn't provide any counter arguments to any of my statements at all. I'll give you that the 30 second thing is true but it can still help for confirming aircraft kills or something important like that.

As for the rest, I didn't say anything about skill and it has nothing to do with skill. It's about making people help the team win instead of helping themselves score good. I'm sorry if you're unable to understand that, I can't make it any more clear than that. You'll probably just ignore it all though and continue using insults as your argument seeing as you want to keep the scoreboard yet have no argument for it since you are apparently playing this mod for the wrong reasons.
SleepyHe4d is offline
Old 2009-03-22, 22:53   #39
nick20404

nick20404's Avatar
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyHe4d View Post
Wow, nice job not reading or understanding my post at all. You're probably acting like this on purpose because you have no argument so I don't even know why I'm taking you seriously. You didn't provide any counter arguments to any of my statements at all. I'll give you that the 30 second thing is true but it can still help for confirming aircraft kills or something important like that.

As for the rest, I didn't say anything about skill and it has nothing to do with skill. It's about making people help the team win instead of helping themselves score good. I'm sorry if you're unable to understand that, I can't make it any more clear than that. You'll probably just ignore it all though and continue using insults as your argument seeing as you want to keep the scoreboard yet have no argument for it since you are apparently playing this mod for the wrong reasons.
I understand what you are saying but what I am saying is you are wrong whether you want to believe it or not. I always try to get as many kills as possible every round and I always use teamwork to achieve it, like I said before but apparently its not an argument is that you are just assuming that taking away the score board will make all the noobs start using team work. If you had been playing this game as long as some of us you would know that most noobs who are not using team work are not getting kills or top scores so your main argument is just invalid and a bad assumption.


I don't think I have ever had to check the kill counter to see if I got a kill its because I am arguing with my squad mate to see who just killed that guy, that's how I play the game and allot of others play the game as well. I have never had your problem of not being able to identify an air kill as its pretty obvious with falling carcass etc. and like I said before removing the kill counter would not even make that possible they would have to remove all type of scoring from the game until the end of round, and like alot of other people have said not everyone plays till the end of the round so some people wanna know how they did before they leave.

So it seems like your only real deal with the scoring system is you don't want to be bothered with looking at your score and you think noobs are gonna play better.

noobs will get better and you can stop pressing tab any time you want.

If they wanted to get rid of being able to see if you killed someone or not all they would have to do is increase the amount of time it takes for the kill to show up and make it so you cannot see the other team so you can't see grayed out names.
nick20404 is offline
Old 2009-03-22, 23:17   #40
SleepyHe4d
Default Re: Remove the kill counter?

Just to make it clear, I've been playing since 0.3 and only ever check the scoreboard for tactical purposes or to check if other squads are doing anything, and whine to them if they are being noobs.

Here is where we disagree: You say removing the scoreboard won't improve the players contribution to the team and I say it will. Okay, fine, I'll accept that, even though I've given explanations for my statements and you haven't for yours.

To make this fair, since we both believe what we are saying is fact, how should we go about proving ourselves right? The only way I see being able to do this is with decent scale testing...

or we could always just agree to disagree...

or leave it to the devs to decide whether to include this or not which would probably end up happening anyways.
SleepyHe4d is offline
Closed Thread


Tags
counter, kill, remove
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 22:01.