project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2009-01-11, 00:12   #1
McBumLuv

Default Completely Removing the map with friendly positions for infantry

Well, I remember there being a thread on this, but through all my toils of searching, I wasn't able to locate it. There is a similar thread to it from pre 0.7, https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...ew-weapon.html, but it was locked and I wish do discuss a suggestion that is similar, but not the same.

Firstly, Clypp has made some very nice topographical maps (https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f66...-minimaps.html), and AFAIK VoXiNaTiOn and Deltafart may be finishing the project.

Secondly, it's quite unrealistic for infantry especially to get magic up-to-the-second-live satellite maps revealing all of your team, as well as the direction that they are facing.

To these ends, I was hoping to make it so that Squad leaders could have a topographical map as a "weapon" with which he could see objectives, but can't see any infantry. All of the squad members would have to rely on the SL, as they would not have the maps.

This would not apply for vehicles, as they still have their mini maps simulating GPSs I guess.

I see many Pros with this inclusion:
  • The need to use landmarks to know where you're going and not get lost.
  • The need to correctly ID targets through their uniforms before firing.
  • A heavier reliance of the commander to give friendly positions.
  • Another advantage to having a commander, because of an all-revealing map.
  • A more in-depth playing experience.
  • An expanded hierarchy providing each higher level (SM, SL, Commander) with better tools to be situationally aware. (from no map, to topographical map, to satellite map with friendly positions).
  • Makes the commander useful, as he can keep his job, but is the only one aware of all the battlefield intel. He can now be used to coordinate the squads properly, since they'll need to rely on him.

A few potential problems exist, however, including:
  • How would infantry know where to attack/defend?
  • Would require enough time-consuming work put into it.

That first problem can be dealt with by either having (if possible) the map "weapon" show the attack and defend icons on the map, but with the image changed to look more like it's been just "drawn" onto the map.

If that's not possible, then a commander could provide the intel, making his/her role so much more important.

But don't forget this problem isn't a "problem" on CnC game modes, either.

The last problem shouldn't be too much of a pain, though, because I think it would be all worth it in the end. What are your thoughts concerning this?

Last edited by McBumLuv; 2009-01-11 at 18:04..
Old 2009-01-11, 01:10   #2
Vege

Default Re: Completely Removing the map with friendly positions for infantry

Just give me a map where i can see my own location and SL markers only and give SL a map where they can see other SLs aswell and im happy, but i guess this one is hardcoded?

BF universe: Jorma[fIIn], Tahanmikaansovi, Vge, Lou Bang, Marjapiirakka
Vege is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 01:11   #3
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

All great ideas...reality of actually coming to light might be slim. But a hardcore version if ever an option, and must be an option would be great.

But unlike Vege I would say NO markers at all.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 01:16   #4
[R-DEV]​Airsoft
PR:BF2 Developer

Officer, spec op, and sniper should get map.

Airsoft is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 01:21   #5
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Well I think a map but as a weapon static, Its just a map that move to your FOV. Like a map on paper and that's it.

But I agree Officer, tankers, pilots and sniper should be the only ones with these paper maps.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 01:33   #6
killer911pt

if you have played FarCry 2 i imagine the map would be similar to the map in that gmae

killer911pt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 01:37   #7
Incomplete Spork
Banned

Perhaps?
bf2 map idea - Xfire Video
Incomplete Spork is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 01:40   #8
gclark03

A possible map hierarchy:

SM: Static topographical map

SL: Static topographical map on foot, satellite map while in a vehicle (simulation of Blue Force Tracker and imitators, using same code as Commander map limitation)

Commander: Command Post only (same as current)

Also, that video is OK, but the map needs to be folded when the player selects it. When the player right-clicks, the soldier unfolds the map and puts it to his face, covering a good part of the screen. The only problem is animating paper, which is probably difficult.
gclark03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 01:41   #9
Vege

Can't think another game where you look your map first to check if it's a friend or foe.
Never really liked mini map in vanilla and have never missed it in reality.
Only thing that i would like to know where other squads are as commander is not allways there and relying on him to know where other squads are would be too mutch.
Squad members should be around his leader so it should not be that big of a problem.

First think i noticed in PR was that people can run forewa and there is time delay on taking up your real map.

If you could not see anyting on the map it would make teamwork allot harder thus removing allot of things that are great in this mod.

BF universe: Jorma[fIIn], Tahanmikaansovi, Vge, Lou Bang, Marjapiirakka
Vege is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 01:43   #10
Jordanb716

I think this is a great idea! But what would go where the map is now? nothing? Well in any case I say drop or replace the regular map for all units and give the special classes that need it like officer, sniper, and maybe pilots, and crewman the "weapon" maps although if its like all other weapons it might be a little hard to see if your in the shadows or something. Maybe have him pull out a flashlight along with it or something. Click to turn it on. gclark03s right click to unfold sounds good as well. (If all this can be implemented of course)

Colonelcool: I'd gladly pony up some tax dollars to send a JDAM over there just to kill that rooster.
OkitaMakoto: Talking squad level tactics in bed is actually a little known aphrodisiac.
Jigsaw: saying "lock please" accomplishes just about the square root of fuck all
Jordanb716 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
completely, friendly, infantry, map, positions, removing