project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
10 Aug 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2022-05-04, 21:46   #1
Redamare
Supporting Member

Exclamation Training to increase quality of new players

Has anyone else noticed as the amount of new players increase quality sharply decreases? for a while over the past few years I feel player base has met a sort of equilibrium where the general level of quality has been pretty good. every so often you would get a new player and it has been okay since they are willing to learn.

LATELY HOWEVER I noticed a substantial decrease in *Cough* Quality of newer players. Some of them may stick around and get better which I am not one to shoo away any new players its just there are the select few that make you go.
"What drugs is this guy on?"

As you can see from my attached priceless work of art the data doesn't lie.

I could get behind maybe a training night or some sort of coordination of people who would like to get to know the game better and not be a part of the lower quality situation.

* ARE YOU NEW? * would you be interested in learning how to play game game a little better? something you don't understand? Maybe I or some one like ... "I" could help you out.

Basic: Lower level BOT Match Training
Moderate: Active online play Training
Advanced: High intensity objective Training

Special Training
Squad leading,Kit assignment, Rockets/Explosives, Fob Mechanics, Trans/Cas Flying, Tanks/Apc's what ever you can think of.

leave a comment if you are interested in learning or teaching. Perhaps this could be a "THING"

thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graph.jpg (36.6 KB, 22 views)
Redamare is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-05, 04:33   #2
Grump/Gump.45

Exclamation Re: Training to increase quality of new players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redamare View Post
Has anyone else noticed as the amount of new players increase quality sharply decreases? for a while over the past few years I feel player base has met a sort of equilibrium where the general level of quality has been pretty good. every so often you would get a new player and it has been okay since they are willing to learn.

leave a comment if you are interested in learning or teaching. Perhaps this could be a "THING"
Tactics are like the rubber band. It has over 1000 uses, but its up to you to find out what those uses are. You can teach individuals to use skill subjects individually or make them use it all together.

I have been teaching in Project Reality since 2017. I have not been on in a month, so the player training has 100% been lacking, nobody else teaches the standards I do. They accept everybody digging a TOW/HMG/AA emplacement where I strictly go by "1 man dig each asset". So many benefits (everything done at same time, no risk of everyone getting blown up). Its also how you are supposed to play the game.

I have several reasons for not playing the last month. I teach over 25+ skills and each skill branches off into 1000s of tips, some I may not have discovered.

If every player on Earth knew you could get up in trees or play dead all in one game they would stay. If I taught everyday and showed the maximum potential of tactics (guerilla and conventional), with my playing dead, getting up in trees, super FOBs supplementing assets everyone would stay.

My goal has always been to train people who train others. I want to train the trainers. I have said repeatedly since 2017 this poem I made which I hoped people would repeat to their team and squads. This poem which I believe can tactically turn civilians in to soldier. Which would leave mainly mechanical weapons operation training, how to use the weapons.

Repeat this poem to standardize your squad "1 man per piece of cover, move cover to cover, stay in view of each other to save each other, explosive spread of *Insert weapon names*(grenades, RPGs, mortars, tank shells, jet bombs). 1 man hit per RPG formation, scan aggressively for anything suspect peeking. Eye level with your cover and target zone".

The 25+ skills to teach that branch out into 1000s of little tips and tricks.

1.) Camouflage
2.) Playing dead
3.) Combat techniques of fire (Grazing Fire)
4.) Individual movement techniques
5.) Individual Fieldcraft
6.) Tactical driving
7.) Combined Arms Breach
8.) Vehicle Mounted Guns
9.) Weapon Flow in Compressed Environments (Pre-fire, room clearing)
10.) Divide enemy fire and attention
11.) Squad/Fireteam Movement Formations
12.) Troop Leading Procedures/METT-TC
13.) React to Contact
14.) Sniper
15.) Booby traps
16.) Medic
17.) Close Quarters Combat
18.) Dogfights
19.) Conducting Ambush
20.) Getting ambushed
21.) Artillery
22.) Construction
23.) Assaulter/Defender
24.) 1 man per cover, cover 2 cover in view of each other
25.) Be the Booby Trap as combined Arms Unit

This goes on and on. I appreciate longer posts covering things that would be discussed later on, both preventing un-needed discussion and starting some discussions earlier by addressing the subject now rather than later. Gives more information in one post.

Did I mention I'm a deadly SOB? Life is like a box of chocolates fool, you never know if its me till you break down that psychological warfare that done happened to you or your friendlies. Get to know me on the Squad v12 and Project Reality 1.5 teamwork playlist on YouTube for 20+ skills
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-05, 14:44   #3
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Default Re: Training to increase quality of new players

How does one enroll in one of your courses @Grump/Gump.45?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
So many benefits (everything done at same time, no risk of everyone getting blown up).
I thought it's because the assets are exponentially done faster when more people dig when. But oh I could be wrong...

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-06, 09:57   #4
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
How does one enroll in one of your courses @Grump/Gump.45?

I thought it's because the assets are exponentially done faster when more people dig when. But oh I could be wrong...
Think outside the box for everything to get the maximum potential out of what is available to you. Mind is the greatest weapon. The thoughts of your mind are a powerful concept, an invisible asset greater than a tank, a tactic as a weapon which your enemy can grab by the handle and use it just like you.

That is the trade off of tactics, it takes longer but everything is done at the same time. This isn't a fast paced Call of Duty game. The TOW doesn't need to go up in 30 seconds risking everyone blindly running to dig every position together to get blown up. Some concepts people don't get, like being bunched up for 1 RPG is same as a machine gunners double sweep.

They play as if they aren't playing below 100% audio effects so they won't hear the tank, APC or grenade pin get pulled. In a game with many explosive weapons they have already gotten killed by bunched up before, whether digging something or in a bad driver vehicle with no leaders. Its like they never learn.

Even in combat footage you will notice, all bunched up, ruck sack guy first through the door. So many mistakes where nothing happens which is how it is on YouTube and you won't see the mess it makes on that particular website.

In this video, say if my truck was a transport truck its the same deal, close to combat area this is how I roll with the squad so we only lose one man per RPG including vehicle. But here its a logi to repair the tank and have supplies to drop another super FOB to support the tank with fire output. Some variation of all of my squad in front of truck in line, 2 or 4 guys front rest rear. Always in 1 man hit per RPG formation minimum, in view of each other at all times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdEcJ7ODJrc

Think outside the box for fighting, I treat .50 cal HMG like a claymore in the woods and jungle. Just make a general direction unpleasant putting a bit of method and thought into how you are going to sweep the machine gun with good logical reasoning based on potential effects on enemy. Assess and be like a biological mechanical combat computer that the human is.

Example is hand to hand against a knife, my arms are shields and swords, the knife must become mine. I am fighting the knife like a scorpions stinger that can hit you 5 to 10 times a second potentially. Apply and feel for every factor in the second to second time for fighting, the time for thinking is over. You know humans get exhausted, fatigued, weakened by prolonged fighting, lack of weakness, endurance, miscalculation, underestimation, change the situation, deception, emotionally, mentally dominated by fear, doubt, regret. Impose this upon any attacker in the real world by defending yourself, manipulate the inner and outer dialogue communication of your enemies. Nothing but "oh crap", "Should I?", "Run" and "I surrender".

Defensively if some criminal follows you in the night whether in car, bike or on foot at every turn you make and you feel uneasy. Disappear into the dark areas you cannot see into yourself, that is how you know its good. If they really want you then bait them and call for back up. Otherwise just go back to your car or continue walking, don't ever feel limited in bad situations by environment. Drive in fields, down paths, go up a tree, parkour platform onto roofs with dumpsters, fire escapes, gutter drain pipes. Disappear. If you successfully baited the person following you to follow further, conceal yourself, double back without them knowing and hit any of their stuff up. Always gain upper hand on criminals, I seen cops slash peoples tires to prevent stolen cars from getting away.

Did I mention I'm a deadly SOB? Life is like a box of chocolates fool, you never know if its me till you break down that psychological warfare that done happened to you or your friendlies. Get to know me on the Squad v12 and Project Reality 1.5 teamwork playlist on YouTube for 20+ skills
Old 2022-05-14, 23:12   #5
TheFoxhound

I've started playing PR for about few days around 5 or 6,
It was really hard for the first when I had no idea about the basics without reading the manual. Now I've learned some basics by experience but still in lack of some, it would be good to have some training to make the progress faster and make my squad members less angry
TheFoxhound is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-15, 21:39   #6
UncleSmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoxhound View Post
I've started playing PR for about few days around 5 or 6,
It was really hard for the first when I had no idea about the basics without reading the manual. Now I've learned some basics by experience but still in lack of some, it would be good to have some training to make the progress faster and make my squad members less angry
Create local coop and play against bots on 60 difficulty.
You should be able to pick up alot from that.

You can always increase or decrease difficulty.
UncleSmek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-17, 22:03   #7
WingWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoxhound View Post
it would be good to have some training to make the progress faster and make my squad members less angry
The only thing new people need to do is join a squad that has a squad leader with an officer kit. (this is a good indicator that he will manage his squad)

... ask the squad leader what kit to get

... get that kit

...tell the squad leader you are new

... fallow the squad leader and do whatever he says

You will be 100% better than a lot of people that join a squad in PR.

As a squad leader the only thing I want to know from you is if you are with me.

After that everything is icing on the cake.

I don't even need to speak the same language as you if you fallow markers on the map and stay close. I can use basic words and numbers to direct you.

The best kit to grab at first is the Medic kit...
...try as hard as you can to get everyone up and back to fighting, even if they are not in your squad. Everyone will see this and appreciate you as a player.

Then, to train yourself with kit, play co-op with bots, use any kit you are interested in. Figure out how to use it.

Project Reality has always had a learning curve for new players, but that is also what makes it fun.

W.W.
v0.4
Last edited by WingWalker; 2022-05-17 at 22:09..
Old 2022-05-19, 11:08   #8
Geko
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

A series of updated video tutorials on subjects Grump mentioned, combined with a one conclusive and well made newbie intro vid (like the How not to be a noob in BFBC2 one) will be a good one to throw new players into the game much faster. It just has to be well made.

Some skills are given with time of course, and you can see the massive difference in team play when it comes to clan / premade squad mates between new players.

I too used to think medic is the best newbie kit, but now I believe the rifleman is much more suitable since a good medic and a mediocre medic makes a lot of impact, much more than a good-new rifleman difference.

In regards of what to actively do with the influx of new players, some servers can/do implement barriers to keep very new accounts out using the trust scoring system PR has.

Geko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-20, 06:13   #9
Grump/Gump.45

We have lost that hype that Camo's Project Reality trailer brought in, back to under 100 players at night on HOG like it was before the influx. Its due to the community and play style for some people, which I could say will never change. But it can change if the administrations and DEV team encourages the advanced skills to the max. Its how to market the game aside from it having the things real war has, its the skills.

It needs to be presented well, a 60 second teaser trailer should show the top 6-10 things about the game, which is a demonstration of how to do it in one aspect in the few seconds of each clip. Full squad in trees, full squad playing dead, full squad placing 6-8 IED wall at a time, the brigade of armor protected by anti-air. It can reduce need to balance by admins if some new players can reference the trailer when they saw some skill they can use.

Player retention needs to outweigh what sends them away. If the trailers would show playing dead, getting up in trees, a bomb spread asset formation of Tank + APC + IFV + AA vehicles + logi + CAS. It could make the news. Market the trailer as if it was a brand new game for 2022.

The trailers show a lot of action making people want to play, but no big picture execution of how its happening especially with assets. Its mostly right now armor traveling together, aesthetic animations of jumping berms, explosions. But it needs more structure for what people see, a 1 minute teaser trailer of 6 second clips showing the most unique things of the game in its skills then mixed with teamwork. Complete noobs from arcade style games need to see the anti-air covering the tanks and CAS making minimal incursion swoops looping in and out of enemy territory. Procedure needs to be shown but its not. Even the right way to wait for rope. This leads to them not being able to do it.

Several factors of why trailers fail in this aspect, one being the camera angle needing to get all the armor into the screen. Bunching up the armor, showing things done wrong which means risks. Hollywood movies do this all the time bunching everyone up for the camera. It needs to be natural view, adapt camera angle to not sacrifice realism, if you have a battle line of tanks, start camera angle where you can see the closest tank to farthest tank. The presentation angle needs to change and things need to be done right, with long enough clips to soak in what is happening.

Toxicity, bad squad leaders, bad times of day to play, not being shown full potential of capabilities within the game would all melt away if skills are officially marketed with the game. People who can't find anything else to do but crash choppers in main, will happen less. You can build super FOBs, play dead, get in a tree, practice little tactics like pre-fire from yourself or 1 man per piece of cover unit tactics. I have said to admins and DEVs alike, if they want better players who stay, they need to give them interesting skills like in a list to practice, show cased officially by them.

You can run on the ground in any game without teamwork, Call of Duty used to be all small maps then came the Battle Royal. That is what these new players treated the game like, a big Call of Duty map. Project Reality is the only game you can get up in trees, play dead, do big asset formations for Michael Bay style simulated combat.

These things take basic skill and a little discipline, as DEVs the psychological game design of Project Reality as a unique game compared to the masses of video games where impatience, rushing and other negative traits are rewarded, not punished or discouraged. Project Reality is the opposite of these traits. Spawn timer, travel time, missing out on situations with team mates force teamwork.

Everything I teach and say is tailored to tactically turn a civilian into a fighter in less than 5 minutes of talking. What ever videos are made needs to follow the concept.

"1 man per piece of cover in view of each other to save each other, 1 man hit per RPG spread formation full time. Scan aggressively with eyes and ears. Police up each others camouflage and exposure, nobody seen. Do not fire unless you see the enemy see you, watch them till either we or the enemy goes out of view"

Little messages in video about issues we know, like players not playing at 100% effects where they can't hear vehicles, close gun shots, armor sounds or footsteps.

Every skill needs a 30 second demonstration.

Designed and worded in order of what is needed to know first before leading on to something else.
Old 2022-05-20, 18:59   #10
clueless_noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
We have lost that hype that Camo's Project Reality trailer brought in, back to under 100 players at night on HOG like it was before the influx.
Summer is coming, corona is going away. People, including me, are picking up their old hobbies that had to be put away due to lockdowns etc. Also the war in Ukraine has lost lots of its sex appeal, which I think was one of the major contributor to the influx. Now we have to acutally please people and not just surf on the wave the world created for us.
clueless_noob is offline Reply With Quote