project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2017-07-30, 18:37   #1
Fracsid

Default Blender for PR Modelling?

Hello there folks,

I decided, for my first foray into modelling ever, I want to model the Sig Sauer M17/M18 MHS because I own a P320 that I can use for references and because it would be cool to see it in game with the US Army. I've been working in Blender so far, so I have to ask; is it possible and/or feasible to import models from Blender 2.78 to 3DSMax 9, or otherwise get them into the game? Or should I turn away from the 2 hours I've spent in Blender and somehow try to find a copy of 3DSMax 9?
Fracsid is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 20:05   #2
Ratface
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Blender for PR Modelling?

Main reason you need Max 9 is because there have been tools specifically designed that only work within max 9 (as far as I know). Personally I did the flak 18 for PR ww2 in a more modern version of max and regretted it when I went and imported the file into max 9 (lots of fixes that had to be done).

Blender is awesome but for PR personally I recommend going right in max 9, saves time down the line plus the reasons above.

Someone else might have other input but that's just my viewpoint from my experience.

Ratface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-01, 16:13   #3
Fracsid

Would animations be more or less difficult to get into PR if made in Blender? Same deal?
Old 2017-08-01, 16:25   #4
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Animations are far worse as those need to be exported directly. With Modelling you can at least make the model in Blender then port it to max but still easier to just make it in Max.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-01, 17:14   #5
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Animations are far worse as those need to be exported directly. With Modelling you can at least make the model in Blender then port it to max but still easier to just make it in Max.
Actually I have no idea about porting animation between Blender and 3ds. My guess would be that it might even be easier as you only deal with movement and wont have to care about smoothgroups fucking up or random faces switching normals etc.
Just see how you can export animations in blender and then see if you (or someone else) can import them in 3ds.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-01, 17:45   #6
Fracsid

If I wanted to try my hand at, say, the red dot magnifier switch animation that was mentioned elsewhere, I'd have to figure out a way to import the model and existing animations (or at least rig) from PR, right? Or is there somewhere I can get the original files? I'm really brand new to this, but animation seems like it would be an easier start than modelling.
Old 2017-08-02, 03:28   #7
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
Actually I have no idea about porting animation between Blender and 3ds. My guess would be that it might even be easier as you only deal with movement and wont have to care about smoothgroups fucking up or random faces switching normals etc.
Just see how you can export animations in blender and then see if you (or someone else) can import them in 3ds.
The thing about animations is, like Static Modelling, a very big part of it is the exporting process to the game and really the animator needs to be in full control of the export process. With Weapon/Vehicle models etc, that part isn't so important for the modeller to know how to export as those models can be, and are often exported by other people pretty easily, but with animations, I wouldn't even know where to start with the export process but I can export pretty much anything else to BF2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracsid View Post
If I wanted to try my hand at, say, the red dot magnifier switch animation that was mentioned elsewhere, I'd have to figure out a way to import the model and existing animations (or at least rig) from PR, right? Or is there somewhere I can get the original files? I'm really brand new to this, but animation seems like it would be an easier start than modelling.
I'm sorry but I don't know enough about the way animations work to be of any help to you, but to add to an existing set of animations or modify a current one, I do believe you would need to work with the existing animations for them all to match up yes, which would still mean working in Max, but yes we do have them.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-02, 19:09   #8
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
The thing about animations is, like Static Modelling, a very big part of it is the exporting process to the game and really the animator needs to be in full control of the export process. With Weapon/Vehicle models etc, that part isn't so important for the modeller to know how to export as those models can be, and are often exported by other people pretty easily, but with animations, I wouldn't even know where to start with the export process but I can export pretty much anything else to BF2.
Hmm true. Then again recreating the animation import/export for blender would be the easiest of them, I think

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-05, 17:41   #9
[R-DEV]​ddeo

This question has been asked in the past couple times. I think I am the one in the team who does everything opposite, in this case I work with Blender when everybody else is using 3ds Max.

It is fine to create model in Blender, but You will need to export it later to .max 9 format (for example using .obj). I did warn about the possible issues in this topic: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...ml#post2115432

As for creating animations, there are couple of things to setup and I never tried it. For 1st person animation You would need hands mesh with bones converted from .max. For 3rd person You would need whole character. As Rhino wrote, we already have proper. max scenes to work with animations. The biggest problem would be adjusting animations further and getting animations into the game, for this You would need 3ds Max 9 anyway.

If you seriously think about working on BF2 or PR it is better to get used to 3ds Max. On the other hand, if You're like me and can't get used to 3ds Max and feel in Blender like in home than it is fine to create content in Blender, just be warned that there are issues after export like:
-scaling (but that's only the case when You import the model into the Blender not from it, at least that's what I've noticed)
-smooth groups/normals
-distorted objects (usually when You have couple objects and You used "Obj as Obj Objects" instead of "...Obj Groups")
-flipped faces
-wierd issues with flipped UVs (might need to change the format of the export file because something is corrupt in the scene after couple of exports between 3ds Max and Blender)

Below are the export settings I think I use, not sure because I lost the profile I've used so there are couple things to note (at least there are not many options to check):
-never used animations options as I never worked on BF2 animations
-not sure about apply modifiers, rather on than off, because of...
-...you can try enabling/disabling smoothgroups/bitflag/normals if things not going well, similar about apply modifiers because of edge split modifier
-write materials can be off, I usually leave adding proper materials to someone who does export from 3ds Max into BF2

In this case better test these export settings together with import settings in 3ds Max 9. In my previous post I've talked about testing/checking it in newer 3ds Max, but Max 9 lacks lots of settings from newer versions.

From my experience besides .obj, the .3ds format worked fine with default settings and also .dae (collada) worked with some of the files (but some models were kicked/distorted after importing into 3ds Max). .obj was usually best option.
ddeo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-18, 00:46   #10
B4rr3l

This guy know how to do it!
Project Reality Forums - View Profile: worldlife

@worldlife #worldlife

I hope he can teach us how at some point, I would love to use more Blender than for undergrowth or having to export to max everytime and then to BF2.
B4rr3l is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
blender, modelling