project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2021-09-26, 15:57   #1
dcm
Default Is it possible to increase the amount of spawnable kits in the spawn menu?

With the widescreen fix. I've noticed alot more space on the sides. Just enough width to probably fit another stack of kits into the spawn screen.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-26, 16:33   #2
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Is it possible to increase the amount of spawnable kits in the spawn menu?

We consider the extended space as dead-space and will not put anything vital in it. Not everyone has a widescreen monitor so we continue to design HUD for the old 4:3 aspect ratio to have working HUD for everyone.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-26, 17:05   #3
dcm
Default Re: Is it possible to increase the amount of spawnable kits in the spawn menu?

I know this is an old game but we live in modern times, most errbody gotsa widescreen.

OK then if that wont work how about adding some sort of scrolling feature to be able to feature more kits? Like the standard 7 kits are on the very top, and you scroll downwards to see more limited kits. If that wont work either. Then why not make a new screen to select more kits? The holy sepnity can remain on the main screen, but every screen afterwords shows more and more kits.
Old 2021-09-29, 16:29   #4
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

what kits would you put there? pilot? crewman? sure why not but that seems unnecessary.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-29, 16:39   #5
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
what kits would you put there? pilot? crewman? sure why not but that seems unnecessary.
Ideally all of them.
Old 2021-10-04, 09:26   #6
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
Ideally all of them.
I would like to think the kit request system is there by design at this point. Spawning in HAT and sniper? Please...

EDIT: lmao. I knew I shouldn't have spoken my mind to the reply...

Last edited by sweedensniiperr; 2021-10-08 at 22:20..
Old 2021-10-04, 17:31   #7
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
I would like to think the kit request system is there by design at this point. Spawning in HAT and sniper? Please...
Squad does it and it's the only thing I genuinely like about squad.
Old 2021-10-05, 16:54   #8
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
Squad does it and it's the only thing I genuinely like about squad.
Project Reality is not SQUAD. There are very good reasons those specific kits are tied to crates or vehicles, or even at 'hidden' locations.

I don't want to assume anything, but I feel strongly that your suggestions lately seem to paint a picture of someone who doesn't know how or why PR is the way it is, and that you maybe should spend more time experiencing what PR is and how it plays out before trying to fix things that are not broken. PR isn't about constantly switching your kit to whatever the situation-of-the-minute requires, but to cooperate and communicate with your own squad and other squads to help deal with.

Sure, a squad may be lacking in a particular kit, and a SL may request that someone switch to that kit on next respawn, but kit switching on a whole is not as frequent as you seem to assume to where missing kits on the kit selection menu is an issue of note. Like was said in another thread, PR fits perfectly in the space between run-and-gun PTFO action games like SQUAD/RS and slower milsim titles like Arma.

edit: also, FTR, there are more 4:3 displays playing PR than you think, even today - being a free game with low hardware requirements, plenty of people around the world with less-than-modern gear play PR, so there is good benefit to making this compatible for both widescreen and non-widescreen users.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-05, 20:07   #9
granderslice

[QUOTE=SemlerPDX;2213416] plenty of people around the world with less-than-modern gear play PR

All 300 "from around the world"
granderslice is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-05, 23:13   #10
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
Project Reality is not SQUAD.
And I hope it never will be.

Quote:
I don't want to assume anything, but I feel strongly that your suggestions lately seem to paint a picture of someone who doesn't know how or why PR is the way it is, and that you maybe should spend more time experiencing what PR is and how it plays out before trying to fix things that are not broken.
I know how PR used to be. Aside from the decline in the quality of players. PR was alot more fun.

Quote:
PR isn't about constantly switching your kit to whatever the situation-of-the-minute requires, but to cooperate and communicate with your own squad and other squads to help deal with.
There are times when you cant count on anyone but yourself. You think I enjoy having to depend on unreliable people to carry out a task? If I did I wouldn't be where I am right now. Adapting to the situation at hand is what I'm good at. One of the many reasons I despise squad is that I'm not allowed to do so, unless I have authorization from the higher ups. Sure some people may like that. And it can be fun in arma RP servers. But it's not fun in PR.

Quote:
Sure, a squad may be lacking in a particular kit, and a SL may request that someone switch to that kit on next respawn, but kit switching on a whole is not as frequent as you seem to assume to where missing kits on the kit selection menu is an issue of note. Like was said in another thread, PR fits perfectly in the space between run-and-gun PTFO action games like SQUAD/RS and slower milsim titles like Arma.
It's not the lack of particular kits. It's the distribution and access of said kits.

Squad is torture for me, because of it's rigidity and lack of freedom. Sure squad may be more casual in certain areas, but it's much more byzantine in others. I dont like arma and rising storm for similar reasons. I love PR for it's freedom, as limited as it may be. It's still miles above anything else. Without becoming a casual shitfest like modern cod or bf games.

Quote:
edit: also, FTR, there are more 4:3 displays playing PR than you think, even today - being a free game with low hardware requirements, plenty of people around the world with less-than-modern gear play PR, so there is good benefit to making this compatible for both widescreen and non-widescreen users.
In all honesty we could do without them. Most people who are stuck with 4:3 displays come from more 'undeveloped' parts of the world and have no respect for the host nation's culture on the servers they play on.

Case in Point: south american players. I have played on south american servers before. I've seen them go hard on home turf. But on NA and even EU servers they act like tourists and treat us native players like shit. Completely unreliable teammates. Disrespectful too. I completely understand them wanting to have fun. It's what I want too. But I cant accept their contemptuous behavior.

P.S. Did you know that most south american servers in practically any game; blacklist american and canadian ips. Guyana and the virgin islands being the only exceptions.

/mod edit: user infracted for disrespect towards the community - the community "could do without" those comments.
Last edited by Nate.; 2021-10-06 at 11:15..