project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
20 May 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2007-06-25, 03:21   #1
trogdor1289

Send a message via MSN to trogdor1289
Default Ah big mistakes nothing quite like them.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WEATHER/06/2....ap/index.html

Although I prob would of ignored it too.
trogdor1289 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 03:29   #2
Blackhawk 5

Our state had a massive drought prob is why lot of wildfires
Blackhawk 5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 11:35   #3
Expendable Grunt

Send a message via ICQ to Expendable Grunt Send a message via AIM to Expendable Grunt Send a message via MSN to Expendable Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Expendable Grunt

I often wonder how big those fires got back in the day before wide human settlement...

Former [DM] captain.

The fact that people are poor or discriminated against doesn't necessarily endow them with any special qualities of justice, nobility, charity or compassion. - Saul Alinsky
Expendable Grunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 12:23   #4
ArmedDrunk&Angry
Banned

From what I have read the fires didn't spread as much back then because there was less undergrowth.
Fire is a natural way to renew the forest but if it is stopped then the forest gets sort of clogged and the fire burns much hotter.
There has been various arguments within the forestry services about letting fires burn as opposed to stopping them.
ArmedDrunk&Angry is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 16:06   #5
Long Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedDrunk&Angry
From what I have read the fires didn't spread as much back then because there was less undergrowth.
Fire is a natural way to renew the forest but if it is stopped then the forest gets sort of clogged and the fire burns much hotter.
There has been various arguments within the forestry services about letting fires burn as opposed to stopping them.

That is true the amount of fuel gets so high that when a fire finally breaks out after decades of no fire the result is a real hot fire. It does more damage due to it being able to burn the nutrients in the soil as well. I used to work for the government here in the forestry/wildlife area and we actually did prescibed burns where we conducted controlled forest fires.
Long Bow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 19:03   #6
blud

Yeah, the reason for all the huge fires is because of them stopping fires all these decades.
blud is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 19:49   #7
Valkohai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk 5
Our state had a massive drought prob is why lot of wildfires
Amen to that Blackhawk, the concept of rain here is a pop-up storm that causes severe lightning (more fires) for 20min and 30 secs of rain from it
Valkohai is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
big, mistakes