project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
07 Apr 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2007-07-11, 23:55   #11
thekninja

Using the handle after each shot? That'd be drawing the bolt back to eject the spent round. Or something worded like that. But you rotate and pull back on the "handle to open the breech and eject the spent cartridge, and load another one (or, if the rifle is capable of holding multiple rounds, you don't have to worry about reloading after every shot).

Also, I've found that unless you have a great position where there are multiple places overlooking your line of fire and therefore multiple places you could possibly be, therefore confusing the enemy as to where you are located, you shouldn't hang around in one spot for too long. Even if your spot offers great concealment, if there is only one other place you could be firing from, and it is too obvious and open, your enemy will search the area you are in, and you risk being compromised and killed. Even if it is just moving to a nearby area that still offers a good field of view, by changing positions somewhat often, you keep the enemy on their toes, because if you pop up in different areas, they know that there isn't just one place they can avoid, they are in danger no matter where they go. Preferably, make a slow rotation of all your "good spots", that way you cover a large area, and remind the enemy that you're still visiting your old haunts, and nowhere is safe.

Also, when you mention that your spotter should be somewhat away from you, be sure to mention that he shouldn't be too far away from you. Approximately 10-20 feet should be fine, he will be close enough to provide covering fire if needed, and will have generally the same FOV as you, so he won't see much that you won't be able to see, but he is far enough to move around a bit without busting the both of you. If one of you is compromised by a large force, and it isn't plausible for both of you to try and hold said force off until you can plan a retreat, the one not being attacked can slowly move to a new position and not draw attention on himself, until it is safe to either return fire or fall back to a different position and regroup with the sniper.
thekninja is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 00:07   #12
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

I notice you haven't told the sniper to move after a certain amount of time/shots, only after they've been spotted and engaged. They SHOULD move even if they don't think they've been spotted or engaged. Safety first.

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 01:01   #13
El_Vikingo

1 Shot and move, 2 if you're good. But that doesn't mean you can always pop two shots.

Think as a modern ninja!

If you are reading this dont stop, cause if you do, I'll kick you in the balls.
El_Vikingo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 01:41   #14
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Spearhead Send a message via MSN to Spearhead

nice writeup on the sniper.

Spearhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 08:50   #15
Hardtman

Phew, I'm rather flattered by all this postive feedback.

Alright,to the switching positions: I think i have mentioned it somewhere in the concealment part, but i will now put it into combat too and emphasize it a bit more.

Furthermore,I'll include the thing about the rifleman in 0.6, hadn't much chance to play the beta myself.

And to Eddie: I would be glad if you could provide som pics, for the start i thinkt it would be great to have some showing:
-A very good concealed sniper in high grass or something(Seen from the front)
-A sniper no a rooftop being very visible(Seen from below)
-If possible,a situation where the sniper hepls another team in a firefight from a different angle(Seen from the snipers vision)
-Again from snipers vision:A whole squad in the line of fire, at best with discernible classes.

I hope I'm asking not for too much here.

And remember, feel free to edit the guide yourself

Hardtman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 09:05   #16
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

about body armor: its not tied to the requestable kits, it only applies to the base kits. so if you spawn as rifleman/engineer/medic, you will ALWAYS have body armor, does not matter what kit you pickup.

If you spawn as spec ops, you will never have body armor.
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 09:11   #17
MadTommy
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead
about body armor: its not tied to the requestable kits, it only applies to the base kits. so if you spawn as rifleman/engineer/medic, you will ALWAYS have body armor, does not matter what kit you pickup.

hmm very interesting. *now lodged in the memory*
MadTommy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 10:35   #18
Hardtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead

For real? Nice to know, thanks.

Corrected in the guide.

Hardtman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 10:43   #19
KP
Retired Moderator

I put in a few words about using the Rifleman as a spotter in .6. Feel free to edit it, though. It was late, so it's probably full of errors.

More guns and bullets make bad guys go away faster,
which in turn makes everyone in the area safer.

-Paul Howe
KP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 11:01   #20
KingofCamelot
Retired PR Developer

Good guide!

Perhaps add in a bit about how a sniper can delay being spotted? I know that at times if I'm pinned down by a sniper a good way to locate where hes sitting is to quickly peak out in a controlled direction, and if he fires you know he can see you from that position. Basically narrowing down where he is.

So, maybe when discussing guarding a crossroads or any other situation where you're pinning down an enemy that the sniper should be aware of tactics used to spot his location and should possibly not take a shot in order to confuse the soldier trying to locate him. If the sniper waits until the soldier has exposed more of himself before taking a shot then the soldier could be tricked into thinking the sniper is in a different area.

Just an idea.

Ruthless Executioner of 280 SpamBots

Retired Lead Coder for Project Reality - 0.25 through 0.4
KingofCamelot is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
finished, guide, sniper