project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Jun 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2021-03-09, 16:32   #1
Sam Harris
Supporting Member

Question Request for screenshot showing the old Allah Cola bottles in the cache

Hi.

As some of you may remember, in the original PR, there used to be molotov cocktails visible in the cache, with the words "Allah Cola" on them.

A thread about it can be seen here:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72852

I thought it was a nice entertaining touch, and I was very sad to see it go. I used to have a screenshot showing the bottles, but I lost it due to a hard drive failing.

If someone has a screenshot they could share with me, that would be great.

The freedom to satirise religion is something that the West always valued and protected. It is no trivial matter either. Unless people are willing to stand up for such freedoms of expression, bullies and terrorists will continue to erode it.

As many of you will know, on 7 January 2015 at about 11:30 a.m. local time, two French Muslim brothers, Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, forced their way into the offices of the French satirical weekly newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris. Armed with rifles and other weapons, they killed 12 people and injured 11 others. This was over the satirical presentation of their god in a magazine.

The families and friends of those murdered Charlie Hebdo staff are counting on the rest of us never to surrender to religious fanaticism, which loves to take offence, and which loves to tell others what is and is not acceptable.

Regards,

Sam

Sam Harris is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-10, 01:51   #2
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Request for screenshot showing the old Allah Cola bottles in the cache

The Molotov wasn't removed from PR because of a very small amount of people finding it offensive (its translation is just "God Cola" which only the most uptight person ever would find offensive), we also would have just retextured it if it was an issue. It was removed simply because the burning code of the Molotov was super buggy and didn't work well.

As for a screenshot, here is it is in BFMeshView:

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-10, 22:46   #3
Sam Harris
Supporting Member

Default Re: Request for screenshot showing the old Allah Cola bottles in the cache

Hi. Thank you very much indeed for your helpful and informative reply. I have saved the picture, and I am extremely grateful to you for providing me with it for reference.

Do you think an attempt might be made at some point to re-code the Molotov burning code in a bug-free reincarnation? Playing Karkand in BF2, I notice there is a burning car near the Hotel flag which does damage when you go near it. I suppose it's a question of using that bit of code in just the right way so that it gets switched on and off in the right place at the right time. Of course I am sure that doesn't make it an easy task, but, it would be fantastic if it could be brought back to the game.

Cheers & beers!

SH

Old 2021-03-10, 23:10   #4
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Harris View Post
Do you think an attempt might be made at some point to re-code the Molotov burning code in a bug-free reincarnation? Playing Karkand in BF2, I notice there is a burning car near the Hotel flag which does damage when you go near it. I suppose it's a question of using that bit of code in just the right way so that it gets switched on and off in the right place at the right time. Of course I am sure that doesn't make it an easy task, but, it would be fantastic if it could be brought back to the game.
Ye that is pretty much how it was coded before, in technical terms it uses a "supply object" that causes damage (in the exact same way the burning fire on a static car damages a player who gets close), that is attached to the projectile which in turn sticks to whatever it impacts, so if it is thrown against an APC then the APC would drive around on fire like in r/l.

This is only from memory and it was some time ago but the big bugs were that it would burn people through walls, so you could chuck the Molotov against the outside wall of a house, and burn the people inside on the other side of a 50cm wall with no windows to death. On top of that, and the biggest issue that I recall is that often the "supply object" (the fire) wouldn't expire with the projectile, even thou the fire effect etc had, and people would walk into an area where the Molotov had been thrown earlier in the game and find themselves burning to death for no reason or any visual queue other than they would be taking damage from an invisible force.

It very well might be possible to now code it in a better way but no one has looked into it.

Old 2021-03-16, 16:34   #5
Sam Harris
Supporting Member

Thank you very much for that in-depth and interesting explanation. I hope that one day it will return, and that the issues you mentioned can be somehow resolved.

Old 2021-03-16, 19:58   #6
dcm

Allah-Cola the true taste of jihad

Warning: May contain trace amounts of camel, goat, and/or sheep urine.
In some regions feces may be used as coloring agent.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-21, 14:26   #7
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
This is only from memory and it was some time ago but the big bugs were that it would burn people through walls, so you could chuck the Molotov against the outside wall of a house, and burn the people inside on the other side of a 50cm wall with no windows to death. ...people would walk into an area where the Molotov had been thrown earlier in the game and find themselves burning to death for no reason or any visual queue other than they would be taking damage from an invisible force.
You gotta admit though, it led to some fun moments every now and then.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-21, 15:21   #8
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
You gotta admit though, it led to some fun moments every now and then.
Oh ye for sure, seeing the crew of a Warrior panic on Al Basrah after you threw one that smashed on the side of their APC trying to drive away from the flames and finding that they followed them wherever they went was hilarious!

Old 2021-04-01, 23:00   #9
WingWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Oh ye for sure, seeing the crew of a Warrior panic on Al Basrah after you threw one that smashed on the side of their APC trying to drive away from the flames and finding that they followed them wherever they went was hilarious!

I almost forgot about all that.

W.W.
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote