project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
20 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2008-07-18, 11:04   #1
Brummy

Send a message via MSN to Brummy
Default [Proposal] The Army of the Democratic Republic of Congo Faction

Hey guys,

I'd like to start a new community faction concerning the military forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (will be DR of Congo from now on ). PR lacks a bit of OPFOR in my opinion, so this will be a perfect addition. There's lots of Jungle in the DR of Congo, in fact it stores second the largest rainforest in the world. This also means more Jungle Maps We don't have Rainforest undergrowth, though. So we'll probably do something like below (it's actually Congo)

Another possible map location are the mountains in the north of the DR of Congo which could deliver a new kind of maps to PR. The forces will fight factions like the US/GB, in general NATO countries. We could say that the insurgency currently in the DR of Congo got out of hand and that the NATO forces had to intervene. Another possible cause could also be that China is currently trading Oil with them. The Congolese have some uranium, possible nuke fear?

Now this force would be represented in PR as a little more advanced militia, but we could use the insurgency gameplay combined with Jungle maps = win. They will have all the commander assets and RPs, etc. This could be a very challenging fight, as the weapons are not quite as advanced as the NATO's ones, but they can defend the caches very properly. (3-4 caches would be enough?)

The weapons:

AK-47 (Reskin from the Ruskies)

PKM (Done)

RPG-7 (Done)

More will be added, you guys can help me on this a bit?

The vehicles:

MI35E Hind (OPK, SF, do it ourselves?)
- We might not make airmaps though, we'll look into that.

Technicals (Maybe a reskin, not necessary)

BMP-1

Type 59 or T55 (probably Type 59 as they have more, maybe T55 has a finished model?)

The kits:

Officer
- Knife
- Browning Hi-Power
- AK-74 Scoped x6+1
- F1 Grenade x4
- Smoke Grenade x2
- Green Smoke Grenade x2
- Binocs
- Field Dressing x3

Rifleman
- Knife
- AK-74 x8+1
- F1 Grenade x4
- Smoke Grenade x2
- Ammo kit
- Binocs
- Field Dressing x1

Guerilla
- Knife
- AK-74 x2+1
- C4 x1
- AT mine x1
- Grappling Hook

Medic
- Knife
- AK-74 x6+1
- Medic Kit
- Smoke Grenade x2
- Binocs
- Field Dressing x5

Engineer
- Knife
- Shovel
- AK-74 x6+1
- Wrench
- Binocs
- Field Dressing x1

Limited Kits will come if this'll get popularity

I think this would be a very suitably faction for PR and would actually add a new kind of gameplay. Not just new content . If there'd be people to help me and people like this idea, I'll get started. I'll probably code a bit for it myself too.

Regards,

Brummy.

Brummy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 11:15   #2
gclark03

Default Re: The Army of the Democratic Republic of Congo

Sounds like a great idea. You should be able to do most of this community mod yourself by editing some Python scripts and using the Browning Hi-Power from USI.
gclark03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 11:16   #3
Scot
Supporting Member

I'm learning texturing atm, not doing to badly, I could help if needed, but probably after summer. Good idea though!

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 11:20   #4
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Very nice brummy, some Guerrilla jungle maps would be a very nice addition to PR

You could do some maps with the USMC and lots of hueys and make it feel like Vietnam

But ye, not sure about the hind, is it realistic for them to have one? apart from that sounds good, type 59 would be pretty hard to make.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 11:21   #5
Pride
Retired PR Developer

Sounds like a really good idea Brumz, PR is in desperate need of more OPFOR factions.

I'd be willing to help out with a few skins or whatever if needed.

eddie: the MoD aren't just going to start blurring their faces so they look 'well ard' are they?
Pride is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 11:22   #6
Brummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Very nice brummy, some Guerrilla jungle maps would be a very nice addition to PR

You could do some maps with the USMC and lots of hueys and make it feel like Vietnam

But ye, not sure about the hind, is it realistic for them to have one? apart from that sounds good, type 59 would be pretty hard to make.
Heh. Wikipedia states they have 6 Hinds. I'm not sure if we'll do airmaps, so I'll just mentioned 'em.

Anyway, I'll gladly use the help offers Thanks for the good comments guys, if I can work this a bit out, we can get this started

Old 2008-07-18, 11:27   #7
gclark03

No navy maps, I presume? Type-062 vs. the Essex?

Anyway, I'll try to help out, but I'm not sure I have the technical skill to do anything more complex than screwing around with scripts and, of course, helping you plan the community mod.

(While I'm thinking about it, is there any official information on the small arms they use? Do they use any Western firearms alongside the AK?)
gclark03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 11:29   #8
Brummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclark03 View Post
No navy maps, I presume? Type-062 vs. the Essex?

Anyway, I'll try to help out, but I'm not sure I have the technical skill to do anything more complex than screwing around with scripts and, of course, helping you plan the community mod.

(While I'm thinking about it, is there any official information on the small arms they use? Do they use any Western firearms alongside the AK?)
Thanks

I searched a lot for the small arms they use. Couldn't find a lot. It's basically AKs, PKMs, RPGs. Pride suggested the AK-74 for more variation. Any help on this would be very happily accepted

Old 2008-07-18, 11:34   #9
Pride
Retired PR Developer

I think the AK-74 would be a good idea, just so they're a bit different from insurgents etc.

Just a reskin of the Russian factions AK-74 so it has wooden bits.

eddie: the MoD aren't just going to start blurring their faces so they look 'well ard' are they?
Pride is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 12:11   #10
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I support this suggestion, Africa is definately under represented in general.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
africans, army, congo, democratic, faction, proposal, republic, this is congo!!